Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest location without the rental car

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've stayed in FLL twice without a car before/after cruises. You're right if you just plan on spending time at the pool/beach it works well. But in case you do want to venture off to do something (we didn't) pick a location that is near to something walkable and restaurants you want to go to.

One time we stayed at the Doubletree Gallery which was next to a mall and close to an Italian restaurant and Primanti Bros (had never tried their sandwiches before).

Another time we stayed at the Courtyard, and IIRC it was within walking distance of maybe the Swimming Hall of Fame and a Boat Tour? Had a good seafood restaurant out the back and across the street.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
MKE has decent bus service and a roundabout Amtrak train service to downtown and most of the attractions are walkable from there. Surprisingly enjoyable, think a lower priced Chicago. I believe all of the lakefront summer ethnic festivals have been cancelled though.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
New Orleans Bus Options

Originally Posted by dlaue
Did anybody mention New Orleans?
Speaking only of public transit, New Orleans MSY airport is served by two public transit bus companies: Jefferson Transit (JeT) and Regional Transit Authority (RTA). Jefferson Transit has a frequent bus service into New Orleans but nothing beyond at termination point in downtown, while RTA has an express service that is significantly limited in frequencies but may connect conveniently to other RTA routes. The major sticking point of RTA is the unreliable frequencies. There are five bus service up to 8am, then nothing until 2pm, followed by 4pm..... RTA is just not frequent. JeT, on the other hand, has frequencies every 20-30 minutes but makes many local stops getting you to Downtown areas. Once you get into Downtown area, RTA pass will get you on bus/tram/ferry, but outside of the downtown area, coverage is spotty with different transit providers doing different service.

I often take the Jefferson Transit into the city, then buying a RTA pass for In-city transit travel.

Jiburi
Old Jun 18, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
HNL FLL DEN LAX SAN MSY IAD DCA BWI LGA Tips

Originally Posted by dlaue
Honolulu/Waikiki. Very walkable and the island has a decent bus system for other tourist destinations.
My travel in 2021 has all been rent-a-car free trips. New York, DC, Denver, and even FLL has been my frequent trips.

HNL: I would caution against reliance on Public Transit at Honolulu Airport. The Bus, which operates bus service into Honolulu, has a major baggage size restrictions. You are restricted to one baggage, no larger than inflight rollerboard. In 2022, Honolulu airport will have a new rail service that will connect the airport to Kapolei (Westward) but for Eastward: City center and Waikiki won't have service until 2025. Best hired option, in my opinion is Speedishuttle. Fast, Spacious and reliable service into town. Once settled-in and without a baggage, The Bus provides reliable access to the entire island of oahu.

FLL: There is a free bus shuttle servicing Tri-rail station which you can to connect to nearby cities, including Miami. One bus route of Broward County bus also service the airport, with connection option for North and South of airport. FLL isn't really my recommended public transit cities however.

DEN: The University of Colorado Rail Line is a convenient service to Downtown area with connecting service to other areas. Price is steep as it requires you to buy a 1 day pass at $10.50 but you can use the rail/bus all day. Highly recommend it.

MSY: Two different bus options: Jefferson Transit has reliable local bus service every 20-30 minutes into New Orleans. RTA bus is infrequent, but if you happen to spot a departure, highly recommend its express service.

LAX: Depends on where you are going. There is frequent free shuttle to the LAX Bus Center for bus service connection to Santa Monica (Big Blue Bus)/Culver City(Culver City Bus)/Various Los Angeles areas(Los Angles Metros)/Torrance Transit. There is also a free shuttle bus to Aviation/LAX station for the C-Line/(formerly Green) of the Los Angeles Metro Rail.

Washington IAD: Multiple options here. Bus 5A Metrobus to DC (Rosslyn station and L'Enfant Metro Rail stations), or Fairfax Connector Bus (#983 toward Wiehle Reston Metro Station and connect to Silverline Metrorail), or take the Silverline Express Bus($$) and connect to Silverline Metrorail also at Wiehle Reston Metro Station) Silverline is projected to be extended to the new Dulles Airport station in February 2022.

Washington DCA: Yellow or Blue Line of Metrorail.

Baltimore BWI: MARC Train to Baltimore Penn or Washington DC Union Station, or B30 weekday bus to Greenbelt Station for Greenline Metro Rail or Yellow Line Metro Rail

SAN: San Diego Airport is served by Bus 992 operated by Metropolitan Transit System with convenient connection to the Lightrail, Amtrak and Coaster Rail Service. Tho technically, I've also walked to these nearby stations following a scenic path. It's a long hike, but still doable with a backpack.

LGA: M60 Bus to Manhattan, or Q70 Bus to Roosevelt Station. I've only done M60.

I have tips for EWR too, but Southwest doesn't fly there anymore....

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Jun 18, 2021 at 4:58 pm Reason: line spacing
Old Jun 19, 2021, 8:37 am

PIT does have regular bus service from the airport to downtown, and then there are transit options downtown. I've never used the bus so I can't speak to it. PIT is an underrated city for sure.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
Speaking only of public transit, New Orleans MSY airport is served by two public transit bus companies: Jefferson Transit (JeT) and Regional Transit Authority (RTA). Jefferson Transit has a frequent bus service into New Orleans but nothing beyond at termination point in downtown, while RTA has an express service that is significantly limited in frequencies but may connect conveniently to other RTA routes. The major sticking point of RTA is the unreliable frequencies. There are five bus service up to 8am, then nothing until 2pm, followed by 4pm..... RTA is just not frequent. JeT, on the other hand, has frequencies every 20-30 minutes but makes many local stops getting you to Downtown areas. Once you get into Downtown area, RTA pass will get you on bus/tram/ferry, but outside of the downtown area, coverage is spotty with different transit providers doing different service.

I often take the Jefferson Transit into the city, then buying a RTA pass for In-city transit travel.

Jiburi
Speaking of New Orleans, once you get downtown many of the local attractions are easy walking distance, so you don't even need public transit - except to get back to the airport.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BUR is right by train station with metrolink to LA union station and other destinations plus quite a few amtrak trains (check timing) north to santa barbara or south to san diego.. the biggest risk is flight delay messing up train plans

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.