Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by djp98374
maui you don’t need a car rental.
I don't agree with this at all.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 9:09 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lleung1980
So this is kinda crazy question, I was planning a trip to BOS - PWM in July. Because of the crazy rental car price, I'm looking to go somewhere else. I need some SW location suggestions that does not require a rental car. Any help? (Beside Chicago, DC, and NYC)

Thanks
SBA is small and has good bus service to the beach, which is pedestrian and bike-friendly.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Stay away from Houston, TX. Metro bus/rail very limited. Uber and Lyft only (convenient) option to get from Hobby (SWA), which is closer to downtown than IAH.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
A few years ago when I had a Companion Pass I looked to put a tour together of 5-6 cities that I could group together and do WN flights to and forgo a rental. Never got to do it but I do think it would be fun.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by pitflyer
I wouldn't call MIA/FLL convenient, but its doable for a short trip where you just want to sit on the beach at a nearby hotel. In some ways, especially in MIA, a car is a pain with parking, etc. Thanks for the tips re: Denver. It'd be a short trip so I can probably pick and choose things that are conveniently located. I also have a friend in the area, so I think a lot of us are leaning on friends around the country until rental car prices return back to normal!
there are downtown parts in some cities than can be done without car. The convention center area is one of them.

Parts of KC could be done

San Antonio and austin has parts you can do on a weekrnd trip without car.

you could fly to Phoenix and do some neighborhoods like old Scottsdale or ASU area in Tempe.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I don't agree with this at all.
p,ease explain...I’d love to read this.

outside of Hana coadt you have bus service you can use in many parts of the west side of the island.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
p,ease explain...I’d love to read this.

outside of Hana coadt you have bus service you can use in many parts of the west side of the island.
Two of the biggest attractions (Road to Hana and Haleakala) pretty much require your own car or and expensive tour. Maui is a beautiful and expensive island that meant to be explored. I have no idea why someone would go all that way and spend all that money and not get a car. If we are saying you don't need a car for Maui, then by that standard, you don't need a car for pretty much every city in the Southwest Network.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:37 pm

Fort Lauderdale has a High Speed Rail. In First class you pay $60 to Miami with Alcoholic Drinks and snacks as well as a lounge. Spend a few days in South Beach and you can take the train to Orlando and fly home from there.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Two of the biggest attractions (Road to Hana and Haleakala) pretty much require your own car or and expensive tour. Maui is a beautiful and expensive island that meant to be explored. I have no idea why someone would go all that way and spend all that money and not get a car. If we are saying you don't need a car for Maui, then by that standard, you don't need a car for pretty much every city in the Southwest Network.
Kauai has Uber/Lyft and Taxis.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
Kauai has Uber/Lyft and Taxis.
Ok. I'm not sure how that has anything to do with what I just said.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by lleung1980
Might I ask, where did you stay? Do you have more info about bike rental? I might have to change my plan to visit PWM only for the weekend, instead of driving from BOS/PVD to PWM
Why not just spend the weekend in Boston? You certainly do NOT want a car there.
dlaue and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:49 pm

Keep in mind that something potentially holding back the idea of an "urban summer" is that cities with a strong mass transit system were also the same places with strict, prolonged covid closures. Whereas spread-out red and purple states opened quickly, or never really closed, most high density blue areas are only now cautiously, slowly, re-opening. Many attractions remain closed. Others are open with severe capacity restrictions. Some have implemented new timed ticket systems, which makes spontaneity during a vacation difficult.

There are many people who value serendipity and freedom to wander on a leisure trip. Hence outdoor / rural places are now having a renaissance, even if it means a rental car is practically required. Notice this is the first time in a very long while when there was no FL or AZ driveout, because this year, people are flocking to what would normally be considered hot, out of season, places. The interest in escaping noted previously is a big part of why.
m907 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 5:14 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by dlaue
Our nephew's family could not get a Lyft ride from near downtown LA to LAX a week ago in the early morning. A 20 minute wait turned into a subsequent 20 minute estimated wait. They had to bail out and drive their car to the airport and park there.
The exact same thing happened to me last week (also going to LAX). Unfortunately, there is a shortage of Uber and Lyft drivers in many places right now, so for the time being I would recommend that people have a backup plan if they aren’t going to rent a car and are going to rely on Uber/Lyft.

(I had a similar issue in NYC two weeks ago trying to get to JFK, but thankfully was able to use the Curb app to summon a cab.)
Old Jun 1, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
The rental car shortages does double into Uber shortages. I saw this problem in Vegas but at least that city is dense enough to have taxis available even if they are more expensive.

Will have to look into that FLL to South Beach train option. Been avoiding most of Florida due to the rental car apocalypse being particularly bad there.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:02 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
If you're considering West Coast destinations:
  • San Francisco is eminently walkable and has good transit options. BART gets you there from SFO and OAK.
  • Portland is also very navigable with transit. Light rail connects from PDX to downtown, then downtown is very walkable.
  • San Diego's light rail doesn't connect the airport, but if you're willing to take a short Lyft/Uber/taxi ride from the airport to downtown (it's just a few miles) you can then walk or use transit to many sites.
  • Seattle's downtown is also a great place to see on foot/by transit, though it gets a minus for having a painfully slow transit connection from/to SEA airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.