Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I drink alcohol this week?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
It is not about money. Why so many negative conspiracy theorists?
Because literally **every** business decision is about money. Sit in on any corporate boardroom in America for the glaring truth.
joshua362 and kennycrudup like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
It is not about money. Why so many negative conspiracy theorists?
Is WN not a publicly-held company that is ultimately responsible to its shareholders?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Not mentioned here (unless I missed it) are that supply chains and catering facilities are an issue. Some airports have little to no operational catering facility at this time.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:30 pm

Again, it's to limit exposure between FAs and passengers. Yes, management would like to sell drinks again as soon as possible. It's a balancing act.
trouble747 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ursine1
Again, it's to limit exposure between FAs and passengers. Yes, management would like to sell drinks again as soon as possible. It's a balancing act.
Given that there's over $5 of profit in every minibooze sale, you bet.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 8:20 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
Because literally **every** business decision is about money. Sit in on any corporate boardroom in America for the glaring truth.
If it were about money, they would be pushing drink sales as hard as possible. They are selling a beer for $6 that probably cost them less than $1 to buy wholesale, and the FAs are already on the clock so there is no added labor cost. They could definitely use the additional profit right now, given the state the industry is in.

It's not about money, it's about maintaining social distancing and keeping their employees safe.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by cbn42
If it were about money, they would be pushing drink sales as hard as possible. They are selling a beer for $6 that probably cost them less than $1 to buy wholesale, and the FAs are already on the clock so there is no added labor cost. They could definitely use the additional profit right now, given the state the industry is in.

It's not about money, it's about maintaining social distancing and keeping their employees safe.
Thank you stating what should be obvious.

(not everything is conspiracy theory worth - lol)
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
If the corporate boardroom minutes didn't reflect this, the number of D&O litigation claims would skyrocket, a lot worse than they already are.

Limiting exposure between FAs and passengers is, ultimately, about money, due to health insurance claims, labor conditions claims, death benefit claims, and what not. A healthy workforce with good morale (ultimately producing less turnover, better efficiencies and customer satisfaction) is part of the calculation.

We've progressed somewhat from "If we do nothing with the Ford Pinto, we'll make $X in profit, and Y people will die or be maimed, resulting in X minus Z in claims. Since X is more than Z, we win." But we haven't progressed as far as some might hope (and probably regressed, in certain instances).

I expect that I will also not be drinking alcohol on my WN flights later this month.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 4:48 pm

As to bringing your own hooch! Many decades ago I was going to be stuck on a Kuwait Air flight to Cairo heading to Paris. Knowing alcohol prohibition in Middle East, sorta like Oklahoma, I got 3 JD minis from my stash to take on board. I was surprised the aroma that was disbursed when I opened the first mini. The person sitting next to me asked if I would share lol. Making conversation I asked him what he did. He opened the briefcase on his lap and it was chock full of Kuwait Dinars lol. I didn't feel so guilty afterall.
Beachchaser likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Is WN not a publicly-held company that is ultimately responsible to its shareholders?
I am a shareholder and prefer inflight booze so your statement is accurate.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
For what it is worth before 9/11 my parents would often bring a full bottle of champagne on a plane, which the flight attendants would chill and serve with grace.

Also, I believe that Delta sells wine "to go" from SkyClubs. Not sure if they allow flight attendants to pour, however I know that JetBlue formally allows flight attendants to serve passengers their own alcohol.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
For what it is worth before 9/11 my parents would often bring a full bottle of champagne on a plane, which the flight attendants would chill and serve with grace.

Also, I believe that Delta sells wine "to go" from SkyClubs. Not sure if they allow flight attendants to pour, however I know that JetBlue formally allows flight attendants to serve passengers their own alcohol.
They are not serving because they are trying to social distance. So, what happened in the past has no bearing on today.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Not under the current system. They exist to wring every penny out of the customers and shareholders, while pumping every possible penny to their executives. Any shortfall is made up by the taxpayer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.