Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I drink alcohol this week?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Can I drink alcohol this week?

So now with Covid - 19 many airlines are not serving drinks. I believe per TSA I can carry on travel size minis in a quart size zip lock. But I cant drink them? Or can I hand them to the flight attendant and have them "serve" it to me?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:15 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP, UA 1P
Originally Posted by Know_It_All
So now with Covid - 19 many airlines are not serving drinks. I believe per TSA I can carry on travel size minis in a quart size zip lock. But I cant drink them?

Not on the plane, no. That's federal law for airlines in the US.

Or can I hand them to the flight attendant and have them "serve" it to me?
Technically, I suppose you could, but since the whole point of not doing normal service is to minimize passenger/flight attendant contact, I can't see the crew being too receptive to that.
expert7700 and jerry305 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:23 pm

I should not admit this, but I used to do this frequently. I didn't flaunt it, nor did I tell the staff. Sometimes I'd just buy a 20oz ginger ale just before boarding and pour it in before boarding, sometimes I'd ask for a full can of soda onboard and pour it in that, sometimes both. Never an issue, but I was careful not to advertise what I was doing.

Edit: also, liquor stores are amused when I bring in a quart size bag and tetris in as many of the tiny bottles as I can.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:29 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by synergistic
I should not admit this, but I used to do this frequently. I didn't flaunt it, nor did I tell the staff. Sometimes I'd just buy a 20oz ginger ale just before boarding and pour it in before boarding, sometimes I'd ask for a full can of soda onboard and pour it in that, sometimes both. Never an issue, but I was careful not to advertise what I was doing.

Edit: also, liquor stores are amused when I bring in a quart size bag and tetris in as many of the tiny bottles as I can.
Did I once sit next to you on an American Eagle flight?
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Just put the vodka in the water bottle before you board and it's all good?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 3:16 am

What is the justification for not serving alcohol nowadays?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Haha, doubtful, I usually got upgraded on the short flights with AA and didn't bother with all that when there was Woodford being offered up. CLT-SLC, though? Totally possible...
Old Jun 3, 2020, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Social distancing.

They are not serving soda either.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:20 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Social distancing.

They are not serving soda either.
they are handing out whole cans of water

It would be just as safe to hand out whole cans of soft drink/mixer and whole minis of alcohol.

I have a lot of unused/expired drink coupons. Hope they let us use them in the future. First round on that flight is on me (well at least the first 30 or so)
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Social distancing
Nah, cost-cutting, WN is bleeding money like all the others.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:29 am

Going on Vacation once my wife and I took all of the makings for Pina Coladas, except for the rum. The FAs were puzzled when we ordered rum and ice only. They got excited when we pulled out the mix pineapple and cherries.
synergistic and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Nah, cost-cutting, WN is bleeding money like all the others.
When airlines sell alcohol on board, they should be making money from it since this doesn't require more FAs. The prices don't appear to be subsidized.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When airlines sell alcohol on board, they should be making money from it since this doesn't require more FAs. The prices don't appear to be subsidized.
I was thinking more like ordering inventory, stocking and logistics in the face of low loads (which likely explains no drinks but water). Thankfully, people are flying again (most of the segments I've been on in the last few weeks have had at least ~75% available loads) so a return to (maybe non-mixed) drinks and booze may be forthcoming before 7/1.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
they are handing out whole cans of water
It would be just as safe to hand out whole cans of soft drink/mixer and whole minis of alcohol.
Not nearly as safe as an FA serving the same item (water can).

Asking passengers for an order creates a second, slower interaction, while crew slowly goes row to row. FA would have to talk past the aisle seat passenger to the window (and eventually middle seat passenger) to determine drink preference.

Menus and Southwest magazines have been removed. The length of interaction in close proximity amplifies if FA has to RE read all the drink options to a clueless passenger.

To retrieve the drink the FA would have touch/contact points with more drawers, handles, etc. Likely move many cans or bottles to the side in order to get the right product, and put back the unused items for the next FA or crew.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​There are upto 4 WN FAs but only two galleys. By the end of the service they would have opened and closed way more items and cross contaminated sections with the other FA.

To sell alcohol FA will additionally have to handle a passengers drink coupon or credit card, plus unzip/sort the bag of mini liquor. Then there are additional duties (counting and inventory) involved
ursine1 and Critterlynn like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Jun 3, 2020 at 8:12 pm
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
It is not about money. Why so many negative conspiracy theorists?
trouble747 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.