Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Flights Between Hawaii and Bay Area Cancelled??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

I have been keeping my eye on flights from Kauai (LIH) to Oakland (OAK) and suddenly the entire month of August and September only has about 1-3 flights for LIH -> OAK. Everything else is unavailable. When you look at October, there are flights available again. When I looked a few days ago, there were still a lot of flights available in August. I don't see any announcements from WN about this. Is this just a technical bug or is it likely that they have cancelled all those flights?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
I wouldn't doubt at all that they have been canceled. If you haven't already you should check out the governor's comments.

Sounds like to me he's going to continue to extend this ridiculous 14 day quarantine for even longer. I have tickets booked for late August into September. I'm giving that about a 10% chance of going.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

It seems to have been a bug that lasted all morning. There are now flights available again on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. The connecting flights are still unavailable though.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The governor of Hawaii has announced that (a) the quarantine is extending past Jun 30 and (b) that the US quarantine may last longer than the quarantine from certain Pacific nations with very low Covid-19 cases. He has not yet set a new extension date for the US quarantine, nor said for sure whether it will extend as-is or have an exception (such as having had a negative CDC-accepted Covid-19 test in the 24 hours before you arrive).

So no matter what Southwest does with the schedule, you cannot count on going to Hawaii on any specific future date yet without having a 14-day quarantine imposed upon your arrival, at least until something more specific than it extending "beyond June 30" is officially announced.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The governor of Hawaii has announced that (a) the quarantine is extending past Jun 30 and (b) that the US quarantine may last longer than the quarantine from certain Pacific nations with very low Covid-19 cases. He has not yet set a new extension date for the US quarantine, nor said for sure whether it will extend as-is or have an exception (such as having had a negative CDC-accepted Covid-19 test in the 24 hours before you arrive).

So no matter what Southwest does with the schedule, you cannot count on going to Hawaii on any specific future date yet without having a 14-day quarantine imposed upon your arrival, at least until something more specific than it extending "beyond June 30" is officially announced.
And furthermore, it appears that the governor chose to extend the date for the 14 day quarantine based on two days in a row with three new cases in the islands (of 1.4M people).

So you can see that even if you go, they could send you home prematurely over just a handful of cases. I have tickets for late August into September. Even if we are allowed with a test or something, their uber sensitivity to just a small number makes me think it is not wise to go there yet.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 4:52 pm

WN is flying regularly OAK to HNL. Why? Who can go now to Hawaii?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:36 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
TEBRaniff -

A few things to note here. The government assistance for the airlines required certain levels of maintaining service in existing markets. Residents of the islands may need to get home from the mainland, even if they are quarantined, or may need to travel to the mainland where they wouldn't be quarantined. We can't fly planes out, if we don't fly them in! We also transport essential workers like Doctors and Nurses. In addition to people above deck, we transport cargo below deck - being an island state, air transportation would be a necessity for their supply chain to bring in medical supplies, among other items.
steved5480, Kacee, Tanic and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:26 am

My eye doctor has a home in Hawaii (Maui I think) and he spends a fair amount of time there. He got stuck when this all started. I'm not sure how long he was there but he's back now. Last I heard his wife was still there because she couldn't get a flight to Seattle.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Last I heard his wife was still there because she couldn't get a flight to Seattle.
Governor Ige lifted quarantine for interisland flights starting next week, she should be able to then grab the Alaska nonstop from HNL back to Seattle.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by diver858
Governor Ige lifted quarantine for interisland flights starting next week, she should be able to then grab the Alaska nonstop from HNL back to Seattle.
He got back so I assume she could have taken a flight to LA or San Francisco, then taken a domestic flight to Seattle, but I don't know why she didn't.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
He got back so I assume she could have taken a flight to LA or San Francisco, then taken a domestic flight to Seattle, but I don't know why she didn't.
May not have been possible to fly back to the mainland directly from Maui, as nonstops had been cancelled, she did not want to spend 2 weeks locked down on Oahu, waiting for flight home to make the connection - a very reasonable decision.
Hawaii is part of the US, is a domestic flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.