Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest cancelling 1,000 daily flights starting Sunday March 22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest cancelling 1,000 daily flights starting Sunday March 22

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by LegalTender
FAR’s ensure safe aviation procedures and programs.
DOT issued a Warning Letter to carriers earlier today, making clear the long-standing rules and offering a break in light of the crisis if they issue refunds to people who ought to have had them and were given vouchers/credits.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...3%202020_0.pdf
bauermj and ursine1 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Please cite the federal aviation regulation (FAR) that requires air carriers give refunds on non-refundable fares for flights they cancel due to reasons beyond their control.

I'll wait.
From the notice. Note the word "longstanding".

Carriershave a longstanding obligation to provide a prompt refund to a ticketed passenger when the
carrier cancels the passenger’s flight or makes a significant change in the flight schedule and the
passenger chooses not to accept the alternative offered by the carrier.1 The longstanding obligation
of carriers to provide refunds for flights that carriers cancel or significantly delay does not cease when the flight disruptions are outside of the carrier’s control (e.g., a result of government
restrictions).
Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by lougord99
im not sure why you won’t believe them when they tell you the funds will be xtended. The funds will not initially show extended.
It's not that I don't believe them, it's that (a) the wording of their policy is at least a little ambiguous as to whether a flight canceled by a passenger online is entitled to the extended funds expiration date and (b) even if that ambiguity could ultimately be resolved in our favor, I would like to minimize the probability of my wife having to make a very long phone call to resolve it.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:41 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by huge
It's not that I don't believe them, it's that (a) the wording of their policy is at least a little ambiguous as to whether a flight canceled by a passenger online is entitled to the extended funds expiration date
The latest policy at https://www.southwest.com/Coronavirus/ is clear:

• Customers’ funds that have expired or will expire between March 1-June 30, 2020, will now expire June 30, 2021
  • Any newly created travel fund because you cancel a flight between March 1-June 30, 2020, will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021
huge likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by nsx
The latest policy at https://www.southwest.com/Coronavirus/ is clear:
And extended through June, 2020.
huge likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:10 am

On Friday I spent over 5 hours on hold (insane I know) but they submitted a refund to my credit card with no pushback at all. Our 1-way nonstop was cancelled by Southwest about 60 hours out, a few hours later we were autobooked on a later, 1-stop. We werent going to fly regardless but already have credits from other flights so I was glad to get refund.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by bauermj
On Friday I spent over 5 hours on hold (insane I know) but they submitted a refund to my credit card with no pushback at all. Our 1-way nonstop was cancelled by Southwest about 60 hours out, a few hours later we were autobooked on a later, 1-stop. We werent going to fly regardless but already have credits from other flights so I was glad to get refund.
Called this morning and got an agent immediately.
We had tickets next week to fly into BWI for morning meeting. WN cancelled all AM flights and booked me on a 6 PM flight. This made it a trip in vain.

Explained the situation to her. She agreed that there were no other options and refunded the WannaGetAway fare back to my CC.

Good for them.

Now on to UA where my NS ORD-MUC flight for 5/1 turned into a EWR-MUC NS and now is a Eurowings 1 stop through several shuttered European airports. By the time they are done manipulating my reservation, I'll be flying through Iceland
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by radonc1
Called this morning and got an agent immediately.
We had tickets next week to fly into BWI for morning meeting. WN cancelled all AM flights and booked me on a 6 PM flight. This made it a trip in vain.

Explained the situation to her. She agreed that there were no other options and refunded the WannaGetAway fare back to my CC.

Good for them.

Now on to UA where my NS ORD-MUC flight for 5/1 turned into a EWR-MUC NS and now is a Eurowings 1 stop through several shuttered European airports. By the time they are done manipulating my reservation, I'll be flying through Iceland
Bear in mind that you do not even need a trip in vain. If the carrier cancels or substantially delays your flight, you are entitled to a full refund. You don't need to say anything other than that you want a refund.

Agents are clearly being told to push credits hard. But, just be firm that you want a refund and, if denied, send a written request, wait 7 days, initiate a chargeback and file a complaint with DOT.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
SWA isn't showing flights nowadays (the whole long list just shows as "unavailable"). But they are all still "there". So they aren't cancelled. I spoke with an SWA agent (only 2 min hold time) and she says the flight is not cancelled and as such I can't get a refund. So it's obvious SWA is playing games since we know full well this flight isn't going.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
SWA isn't showing flights nowadays (the whole long list just shows as "unavailable"). But they are all still "there". So they aren't cancelled. I spoke with an SWA agent (only 2 min hold time) and she says the flight is not cancelled and as such I can't get a refund. So it's obvious SWA is playing games since we know full well this flight isn't going.
"We" don't know that. What "we" do know is that if there are 4 frequencies, 3 will be cancelled, probably close in. But, there is a 25% chance the flight you are on does operate.

No reason to be in a hurry and cancel any earlier that just before flight time or when the flight is cancelled. As soon as it is, you are due a refund. If yours is the flight which does operate and there is no significant schedule change, all you get is your credit.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Amazed Southwest is still playing the travel voucher game given they are being sued and the DOT has reminded airlines of their responsibility to refund. Just got email that a Sunday ATL-CLE has been cancelled. And "because of a schedule change we are unable to rebook you within 3 days of your trip." "Therefore your payment has been turned into reusable travel funds." Doesn't even mention a refund as an option. Only provides the general reservations phone number.

All of my other emails until now were about rescheduling so I had yet to get a pure cancellation email. But there's something just a bit disingenuous about cancelling an entire route and giving a travel voucher automatically and no other options. How many travellers would not realize they were actually entitled to a refund?

Guess, I'll be playing the call in game tomorrow since I've already accepted 10 travel funds for rescheduled trips that didn't work for me, so I feel rather tapped out with my graciousness to WN for holding my $$$.

Last edited by dcstudent; Apr 14, 2020 at 7:35 pm
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Why don’t you take the easier route and rather than call, contact them on Facebook messenger or Twitter.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Ridiculous, Just got a dozen cancellation emails for paid flights.. Zero option of DOT required refund. No mention to Southwest CoC which guaranteed refund if carrier cancels for any reason.

We want to make you aware that your upcoming flight (Confirmation AAAAAA) has been affected by changes we made to our schedule. As a result, we were unable to rebook you on a similar flight within three days of your original departure date. Therefore, your payment has been turned into reusable travel funds. We’re sorry your plans were impacted by our changes.

If you're ready to rebook, we encourage you and any of the original Passengers on the reservation to visit Southwest.com to rebook your travel using your travel funds. If your new itinerary costs more than the funds you have available from your previous reservation, we're happy to cover the price difference as long as:

Your new trip occurs within 60 days of your original travel.
Your origin and destination airports are the same (i.e., the same trip).

If you would like to pursue this option after you've confirmed online that your new itinerary costs more than the original, call 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792).
If you're unsure about your future travel plans
If you’d like to wait to rebook, rest assured the funds used to pay for this trip will be available to the Customer(s) named on the ticket(s) to use and fly by June 30, 2021.

Once you're ready to use your funds, simply use AAAAAA to access these funds in the future (similar to "store credit" at most retail establishments*).

Today and every day, we're committed to reconnecting you to the people and places you love. We're in this together and thank you for your patience as we navigate through these changing times.

Stay Heart Strong,
Your friends at Southwest Airlines
ursine1 likes this.

Last edited by expert7700; Apr 14, 2020 at 9:26 pm
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Here is the email I received on points bookings. Opposite extreme as paid ticket: Forcing a full refund of points + cash (no option to rebook same route within 60 days with no risk of upfare.

We want to make you aware that your upcoming flight (Confirmation #BBBBBB) has been affected by changes we made to our schedule and we were unable to rebook you on a similar flight within three days of your original departure date.

We're refunding your Rapid Rewards® points to your account and processing a refund of the taxes and fees to your original form of payment.* While refunds are processed by Southwest® within seven business days, depending on the financial institution, it may take up to 30 days for the credit to appear in your account.

We're sorry your plans were impacted by our changes. Today and every day, we're committed to reconnecting you to the people and places you love. We're in this together and thank you for your patience as we navigate through these changing times.

Stay Heart Strong,
Your friends at Southwest Airlines®
ursine1 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
Here is the email I received on points bookings. Opposite extreme as paid ticket: Forcing a full refund of points + cash (no option to rebook same route within 60 days with no risk of upfare.

We want to make you aware that your upcoming flight (Confirmation #BBBBBB) has been affected by changes we made to our schedule and we were unable to rebook you on a similar flight within three days of your original departure date.

We're refunding your Rapid Rewards® points to your account and processing a refund of the taxes and fees to your original form of payment.* While refunds are processed by Southwest® within seven business days, depending on the financial institution, it may take up to 30 days for the credit to appear in your account.

We're sorry your plans were impacted by our changes. Today and every day, we're committed to reconnecting you to the people and places you love. We're in this together and thank you for your patience as we navigate through these changing times.

Stay Heart Strong,
Your friends at Southwest Airlines®

I made a RR points booking which was canceled outright by SW and was given the option of 60 day rebook with no risk of upfare. Difference was that I had paid the taxes with travel funds. They credited the points back to my account.

A question I'm wondering is if I paid for a trip using travel funds, am I also able to get a credit card refund when SW cancels outright? Happened on a flight I booked. I didn't really complain about it because the TF was due to expire in July 2020 and SW has extended expiration date till June 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.