Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest cancelling 1,000 daily flights starting Sunday March 22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat

Link to Dallas Business Journal story (breaking as of 5 PM Eastern Friday 3/20/20):
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...ellations.html

I'm surprised that domestic airlines in the US haven't reacted quicker to COVID-19 and the giant drop in travel demand. Southwest looks to be in a better cash position than some of their competitors, but this is the right move at this point IMHO. No details released yet, but I wonder if some routes will be axed completely for the rest of the spring?
H8tofly likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Link to Dallas Business Journal story (breaking as of 5 PM Eastern Friday 3/20/20):

I'm surprised that domestic airlines in the US haven't reacted quicker to COVID-19 and the giant drop in travel demand. Southwest looks to be in a better cash position than some of their competitors, but this is the right move at this point IMHO. No details released yet, but I wonder if some routes will be axed completely for the rest of the spring?
I would guess they would try to keep at least one flight to all cities, if possible. Some cities may have such small load, they could get dropped.

"...service with the goal of cancelling flights that have alternate flight or route options and that affect the fewest number of Customers."
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:50 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Smart move. If all LAX-OAK flights had the 9 customers like my flight yesterday, Southwest could have carried the whole day's worth on one flight. Not that I would have been willing to fly without an empty middle seat. I appreciated having 8 feet of separation to the nearest passenger, but I didn't pay for a private jet.
wahooflyer likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:14 pm

GK's still paid 90% salary. Might be time to match the other CEOs.

Most of their pay is incentive and share-based.

Airlines

Delta (DAL) CEO Ed Bastian: 100 percent pay cut through the next six months. DAL Board of Directors, the same.

Alaska Air (ALK) CEO Brad Tilden cutting base salary to zero

United (UAL) CEO Oscar Munoz and President Scott Kirby “will forego their base salary at least through June 2020.”

Southwest (LUV) CEO Gary Kelly taking a 10% pay cut.

JetBlue (JBLU) CEO Robin Hayes is taking a 20% pay cut.

Allegiant (ALGT) CEO Maurice Gallagher and President John Redmond take full pay cut.

Spirit (SPRT) CEO Edward Christie is taking a 30% pay cut.
Source
drooley, hat attack and Rd3 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Cancellations definitely starting to hit. Got 18 rebooking notices overnight. Unfortunately, most of the changes don't work for my schedule so I'll spend part of today seeing if there are other WN flights that work, and if not check Delta to see if they have something that works better and cancel my WN flights entirely. If neither Delta nor WN have flights that work...guess it's my schedule that will have to change! What a crazy time....To think 2 weeks ago....
wahooflyer likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I tried booking some fall travel as I would rather have speculative tickets and ran into the "you can't get there from here" error with some frequency. MSP/CVG went from 10 not great options to zero. Both of those were 5 daily to MDW and now none align for a connection?!
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by wahooflyer

Airline schedules are built for one month at a time through a very time consuming process of scheduling pilots, FA's, aircraft, and maintenance. Unfortunately, with so many moving parts, it is difficult to just simply cut 25% or more of an airline's flights. All of pieces have to fit in place. That said, WN has it a bit easier because they nnly have two different types of aircraft.

Suffice it to say, airliners are acting as quickly as possible to downsize. On the other side of this crises, it could take them a few weeks to get back to "normal" demand as well -- so we have that to look forward to.
wahooflyer likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender
GK's still paid 90% salary. Might be time to match the other CEOs.

Most of their pay is incentive and share-based.

Source
If I were one of these CEOs, I would agree to no salary for two-three years in exchange for some amount of stock options. None of them will starve, and it is likely they’d make a fortune.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN is definitely behind the curve and it has burned a lot of cash it will need in the months to come. The CEO salary thing is a gimmick.

If you've been cancelled or your flight significantly changed, make sure you fight for a refund, not WN funny money.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I have a small airplane and went flying around the Reno area today. While there were far more light aircraft in the sky than on a typical Saturday, the number of airliners was far less. I needed to get my landing currency updated before they possibly close the whole state and airspace down.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I think its only a matter of time given the current hysteria. If I can't get within 6' of anyone at Costco, how long can they justify flying in a cramped metal tube where everyone has to pass through a common 3 foot wide door? Everyone then would have to sit at the window every 3rd row.

Get it done, I've had to do 3 touch and goes while my passengers waited/watched to be legal (VFR daylight only)....

Last edited by joshua362; Mar 21, 2020 at 4:51 pm
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
I think its only a matter of time given the current hysteria. If I can't get within 6' of anyone at Costco, how long can they justify flying in a cramped metal tube where everyone has to pass through a common 3 foot wide door? Everyone then would have to sit at the window every 3rd row.

Get it done, I've had to do 3 touch and goes while my passengers waited/watched to be legal (VFR daylight only)....
My wife was on a flight last week with 11 people. The could have boarded 10 yards apart and still left early.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
So do we know how this "cancel 1000 flights per day" thing will work? Will you just know at T-24 when you check your flight status? I am struggling to find any flights cancelled this week when looking at what is available to purchase.

For example, this weekend, I have a two segment flight coming up that I would like to take. However, it is not available for sale using married logic...but each individual segment is available for sale? If my flight is canceled, that is ok too and I will not make the trip.

Second question is...if my flight is cancelled, do I have any chance of getting a monetary refund for a flight purchased with a VDB voucher? (I imagine the answer is no)
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by pgh234
So do we know how this "cancel 1000 flights per day" thing will work? Will you just know at T-24 when you check your flight status? I am struggling to find any flights cancelled this week when looking at what is available to purchase....
Any answers about specific flights has a very good chance of being wrong.

If there was a reason for me to fly, I would 100% assume my scheduled flight might not fly. Look at the "normal" alternatives and be prepared.

The effort to reduce 1000 flights is not simple. And I expect in the middle of it, they will drop another 1,000.
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:13 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Any answers about specific flights has a very good chance of being wrong.

If there was a reason for me to fly, I would 100% assume my scheduled flight might not fly. Look at the "normal" alternatives and be prepared.

The effort to reduce 1000 flights is not simple. And I expect in the middle of it, they will drop another 1,000.
Agreed. It is understandably chaotic for them. I was just wondering if I was missing something here. There are no viable other options for my route and I am prepared not to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.