Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by jmw
Agreed. I'm looking for massive change waves, not 1-offs going to Hawaii from someone who flies WN once a year and gets excited about using the Chase Upgraded Boarding benefit. Last massive wave was the end of September. I may have to rebook everything at 3-4 weeks from the trip date at much higher prices. My preferred SoCal co-terminal ONT almost always never has attractive sales like LAX and LGB.
I fly 3 to 4 times in normal years, that upgraded boarding benefit is awesome until you forget to checkin, get c group and upgraded boarding is sold out
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
I got the most complex one moved by 5 minutes. It was a 12/27 booking from OGG to the mainland which I needed changed to the busy travel day of 1/1/23. That was enough to allow me to switch it. So all in all, we are set for the Christmas/New Years trip to Maui.

When did you get this schedule change?
Air Houston likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:50 am

On everybody's recent changes, are all of the change notifications sent out via email? I always find myself clicking on the in individual bookings hoping to get the red banner, but if everyone is still getting email notifications, I am probably wasting my time. Any/all data point appreciated.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:11 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Froog
I am probably wasting my time.
Yup.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:16 am

No changes made to my mid October trip to Vegas, but the price has decreased a few times over the past few weeks. I'll take it!
Old Aug 19, 2022, 5:54 pm

Pre covid I used to fly WN often and would also book a "dummy fare" for the lowest price but since covid we have been trying to fly nonstop and WN doesn't work for us.

In 2023 I'm going to give WN a shot again, we have about 500K WN points so I just want to make sure I am still doing this right as far as getting the lowest fare.

In January we are flying R/T MSP/LAS , I have the flights we want on the dates we want booked as one ways using points and will watch for price drops.

I also have dummy low fare flights booked O/W MSP/LAS and 2 days later O/W LAS/MSP............both of these flights are booked within a week of the dates we want to fly but do not overlap the dates we want to fly.

So Assuming nothing has changed I think I should be good to go, are people receiving emails for changes or do I have to look for red bars in the app daily ?

If I missed anything please let me know, as I said I haven't done this in about 2 years.

Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:03 pm

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
Originally Posted by flyer4512

So Assuming nothing has changed I think I should be good to go, are people receiving emails for changes or do I have to look for red bars in the app daily ?

Thanks
I am receiving emails for any changes (just got one this week for 10/30).
flyer4512 and medellinfein like this.

Last edited by oceanbreeez; Aug 19, 2022 at 6:05 pm Reason: added question
Old Aug 19, 2022, 7:38 pm
Original Member

Guess there's still hope for the holidays! Haven't gotten a change since April This is the email address: [email protected]
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by oceanbreeez
I am receiving emails for any changes (just got one this week for 10/30).
Originally Posted by sggolf
Guess there's still hope for the holidays! Haven't gotten a change since April This is the email address: [email protected]
Thanks, I'm not sure how others book the "dummy" flights but I look for flights that have multiple departures in the same time frame to the same destination.

For example on the day I booked my dummy flight WN has 3 different flights all leaving MSP for DEN at 12:55 pm...............chances are at least 2 of those are cancelled or have time changes.

Two of the 3 then go to from DEN to LAS while one has a second stop in UTAH before going to LAS................I booked the flight with 2 stops betting that one has the best chance of a schedule change.
Air Houston likes this.

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 20, 2022 at 11:10 am
Old Aug 25, 2022, 3:21 pm

I got one change this morning for the second week of November. Anyone else?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 6:38 pm
jmw

Crickets, and I have a lot of flights booked.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 7:14 pm

I got a change for a flight first week of December that was actually a really nicely timed nonstop. Now there are no nonstops between this city pair
Old Sep 7, 2022, 12:44 pm

I'm losing confidence that my fake Thanksgiving and Christmas flights will get a change, so I booked actual flights and they were actually reasonably priced (about 1.5x normal for heavy travel days). I'd advise others to do the same.
jmw, pgh234 and oceanbreeez like this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by m907
I'm losing confidence that my fake Thanksgiving and Christmas flights will get a change, so I booked actual flights and they were actually reasonably priced (about 1.5x normal for heavy travel days). I'd advise others to do the same.
The strategy is to book your actual flights and your fake flights so you have it locked in either way.

Edit: unless the fake flight is on the same day as the real flight but just a different time. That will auto-cancel one of the overlapping flights.

Last edited by MinhQP; Sep 7, 2022 at 12:47 pm Reason: See post
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by m907
I have already booked most "real flights" on Delta and Spirit for my winter travel because WN has terrible schedules (5:30am departure/1:55am arrivals) and it is cheaper for my family even when considering that I have TWO fairly worthless companion passes this holiday season. I can't believe out of the 30 flight segments I have booked on schedule opening day, litterally zero of them had even a five minute schedule change.

A stark departure since the MAX fiasco began over 3 years ago. I don't think I have booked a flight that hasn't had a change since then... until now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.