Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:24 am
jmw

deleted

Last edited by jmw; Apr 12, 2022 at 11:55 am
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:09 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
I believe 7/15 is the cutoff now.
I received the sched change notice yesterday for my 7/15 flight.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
I received a schedule change notice for 7/13 yesterday, similar to one I received earlier for a 6-20 flight. In both cases, the "computer" had placed me on a connecting flight that required me to sit an hour longer during a Love Field layover. On checking, I was able to move to a connecting flight with less layover and a better arrival time at my destination, and saved over 1,000 points in the process. It is definitely worth checking out your options ASAP when you get one of these change notices, rather than assuming that the computer program has chosen the most advantageous schedule option.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 12:59 am

Anybody know what the points accrual policy is with these rebooked fares?

I've got an Anytime fare that got totally borked by the scheduling system, so I called to rebook the ticket -- but now the thing is showing up with EST. POINTS EARNED: 0.

There was real money spent on this fare -- so I would expect to earn points. Funny thing is that I also have a WGA fare for the same flight, and I had changed this flight to the same itinerary -- intending to cancel my WGA booking. With the expectation that I will earn substantially more points on the Anytime fare that's currently costing me roughly the same amount in real $$$.

But with these system rebooking, are they really going to give me 0 points if I fly the Anytime fare? If so -- or if I have to jump through crazy customer service hoops to get the points, then I'll probably just keep the WGA booking.

Rather time sensitive because the system may sweep though and arbitrarily cancel one booking or the other overnight -- since they're currently duplicate bookings.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:12 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Rolling through the second half of July tonight
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:37 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Last night I was notified of a change for my July 23rd flight.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:08 am
blh

I was rebooked on 4-11 for a flight on 7--8 and was on hold for 45 minutes. Then today 4-19 got email rebooking return flight on 7-18. Called, on hold an hour, rebooked flight with better times. However, the points according to the internet schedule were 6,640 fewer points. The rep said too bad those points disappeared during the hour I was on hold. So I would have to pay the original price - no refund. Also, said she had no idea why I was on hold for an hour - there was no wait time. Sounds like SW left me holding while they reworked the other flights to show very little availability on that date and much higher points. I just got a new companion pass that took quite an effort. Thinking it will be my last one. Tired of all the schedule changes. Think almost every flight I have taken in last two years has had a flight change.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by blh
I was rebooked on 4-11 for a flight on 7--8 and was on hold for 45 minutes. Then today 4-19 got email rebooking return flight on 7-18. Called, on hold an hour, rebooked flight with better times. However, the points according to the internet schedule were 6,640 fewer points. The rep said too bad those points disappeared during the hour I was on hold. So I would have to pay the original price - no refund. Also, said she had no idea why I was on hold for an hour - there was no wait time. Sounds like SW left me holding while they reworked the other flights to show very little availability on that date and much higher points. I just got a new companion pass that took quite an effort. Thinking it will be my last one. Tired of all the schedule changes. Think almost every flight I have taken in last two years has had a flight change.
Hmm -- the thing to do in this case -- if the new flight you want is actually available on points, is to just book it outright and cancel the previous one.

Southwest sometimes disappears points with these schedule changes. When you change an affected flight it processes it as a standard 1:1 re-accommodation -- and doesn't always credit you the point difference, even if the new fare is purportedly lower. I've even had this happen on a cash fare -- and had to call them up to have them issue a LUV voucher for the difference.

Since then, have learned my lesson. Just cancel/rebook (except in reverse order -- rebook, then cancel only after you've secured your desired flight). Admittedly, this is all a lot easier if you have a pool of points or travel funds to work with and can float having two fares for a short period of time.
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Notified of two changes for late July. One flight moved to an hour later, which works better. The other was moved to three hours earlier which is not at all convenient, and the other options are all terrible. Looks like another trip I will have to move to another airline.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:00 am

While I appreciate the free change opportunities, the new schedule is just embarrassing. Two-stop itineraries to do anything transcon. Feels like 1990 again.
joshua362, Tanic and pgh234 like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:01 am

Up through at least 6 Aug now
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
While I appreciate the free change opportunities, the new schedule is just embarrassing. Two-stop itineraries to do anything transcon. Feels like 1990 again.
Most transcons available to me are now 8-11 hour adventures with 2am arrivals (that will likely actually arrive at 3:30am because WN). No thanks. This game is quickly becoming un-fun to play.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
An August 12th flight of mine was impacted by a schedule change yesterday.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:14 pm

Now through 9/4. I made a booking less than an hour ago and it's already been rescheduled :/

Last edited by AllThePants; Apr 20, 2022 at 5:47 pm
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
They can't move that quickly through the calendar unless the changes are very sparse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.