Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Pre for Southwest ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, BA, FlyingBLue, AA
TSA Pre for Southwest ?

Rarely fly Souhwest - just printed out a boarding pass, and it doesn't say TSA-pre. These days, I check in through TSA-pre on every other major american airline - Southwest does have my Known Traveller Number. Does Southwest not have TSA pre? Or reserves it for their better customers? Not having access to TSA pre for security means I am not likely to fly Southwest again, unless it is the only option.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
We fly 30+ flights a year with WN. Always get pre-check.... see note below.

Either your number got lost, entered wrong in the system, or somehow you got randomly selected.

Did not get it once. Called in and they re-entered it and all was fine.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Yes. WN has full TSA Pre✓®
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN participates in Pre-Check. It is a TSA-administered program and has nothing to do with your "status" with WN or any other carrier.

If you receive a BP without the Pre-Check logo, you may have been randomly or intentionally deselected or your passenger data may have been screwed up. WN can remove your KTN and then reenter it and you can try reprinting at the airport. If it still does not work, chalk it up to bad luck if it happens just this once. If it continues to happen, you may want to consider applying for a redress number.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
Spelling

Check the spelling of your name on the account. If you have a middle name they do some truncation to keep in within a character limit as well.
I have had 100% PRE in probably 100+ flights on WN.
screeton and bgasser like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Diogenes1789
Rarely fly Souhwest - just printed out a boarding pass, and it doesn't say TSA-pre. These days, I check in through TSA-pre on every other major american airline - Southwest does have my Known Traveller Number. Does Southwest not have TSA pre? Or reserves it for their better customers? Not having access to TSA pre for security means I am not likely to fly Southwest again, unless it is the only option.
Please come back and let us know what happened.

thanks
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Do you have Southwest Rapid Rewards number and entered on your reservation?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
If you booked your ticket when not logged into your WN account, it won't autofill that.
You can probably go to the gate and get it fixed, you may even just be able to call them. I had a similar issue when I booked though concur after some change and it didn't fill in my KTN, but one call to WN fixed it.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:43 pm
Company Representative, Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Often1
WN participates in Pre-Check. It is a TSA-administered program and has nothing to do with your "status" with WN or any other carrier.

If you receive a BP without the Pre-Check logo, you may have been randomly or intentionally deselected or your passenger data may have been screwed up. WN can remove your KTN and then reenter it and you can try reprinting at the airport. If it still does not work, chalk it up to bad luck if it happens just this once. If it continues to happen, you may want to consider applying for a redress number.
Also, we recently added some self service in this area. If you don’t get TSA Precheck you can now re-enter your KTN number on southwest.com when using a tablet or computer. Then you can go through the check in process again to see if pre-check appears after re-entering the number. If that doesn’t help please try to chat with us via the mobile app while logged in. We can double check things on our end.

The Edit KTN feature is coming soon to our mobile apps and our mobile website. Right now you can add, but not re-add a KTN or Redress number in our mobile apps.

One thing we have noticed is that sometimes Customers think that by adding your KTN in your account that it will be automatically populated in your upcoming trips. That does not occur and we’re adding some verbiage to the My Account page to make sure people are aware that you still need to add your KTN to upcoming trips.

Rephrasing for clarity. One thing we have noticed is that some Customers think that the first time they add their KTN in their account that our systems will retroactively apply it to any existing bookings. Once you put it in your account we will add it to new bookings from that point, but we don’t retroactively apply it to your existing bookings. We’re adding some verbiage to make that clearer when you add or change your KTN under your account profile.

As others mentioned, Southwest does not make the Precheck eligibility determination. That decision is made by the TSA and Precheck status is not guaranteed. More details on that can be found at the TSA website. Hope that helps!
Tanic, LegalTender, bbbb and 2 others like this.

Last edited by swaMark; Feb 29, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swaMark
...One thing we have noticed is that sometimes Customers think that by adding your KTN in your account that it will be automatically populated in your upcoming trips. That does not occur and we’re adding some verbiage to the My Account page to make sure people are aware that you still need to add your KTN to upcoming trips.
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but I never enter my KTN - it self populates. ???
swaluvr likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:30 pm
Company Representative, Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but I never enter my KTN - it self populates. ???
You’re right. Once you add it to your account we will auto-populate it for passenger #1 on any new bookings. I was referring to retroactively applying it to existing bookings - which we don’t do automatically which can sometimes cause confusion.

I edited my thread above to hopefully clear that up using the below verbiage...

Rephrasing for clarity. One thing we have noticed is that some Customers think that the first time they add their KTN in their account that our systems will retroactively apply it to any existing bookings. Once you put it in your account we will add it to new bookings from that point, but we don’t retroactively apply it to your existing bookings. We’re adding some verbiage to make that clearer when you add or change your KTN under your account profile.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:07 am

OP - Double check your KTN expiration date.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by NextTrip
OP - Double check your KTN expiration date.
And that you're not using a New York address.
m907 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
And that you're not using a New York address.
Just in case this isn't a joke: PreCheck is not currently impacted by the standoff between the administration and NY State, which only concerns renewals or new applications to the affected programs anyway.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:16 am

In a similar vein and with no intent of highjacking this post I am curios (and appreciate any thoughts) as to why TSA pre-check status is never afforded to me anymore. I am not registered in TSA Pre Check. I am a decades long RR A List Preferred flier and know I was initially put on the WN list of 'trusted' travelers as reported to TSA. This eventually resulted in a 95% plus TSA Pre Check issuance for several years. Suddenly this dropped off a few years ago and I had read TSA had purposely limited the Pre Check status in an effort to increase actual reservations in their program which were lower than anticipated. The pre-checks then started to return at a higher frequency and I thought everything was good.. Starting in the last year pre check for me disappeared altogether. I mean never although household members who travel little will get it. I don't even have a traffic ticket in the last decade, pay my tons of taxes dutifully, etc. etc. I don't think the TSA yet has the technology to actually read my mind (and contempt for this organization) so this can't be a factor.
With the technology available to them they might be able to figure out that a four decade frequent flyer is probably a pretty safe bet to not be waiting in the weeds to do something dastardly.
To save the anticipated retort of why don't you just get Pre Check I frankly don't care to be fingerprinted and stand before some newly minted 'officer' to explain myself. I also will be retiring in a few years and am willing to face the indignities of normal 'inspection' as a matter of principal.
I am not looking for a debate on my views only thoughts as to why my random pre checks have disappeared altogether.
Many thanks and happy flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.