Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW International Connections LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:07 am
Original Poster

SW International Connections LAX

My Father and I are flying to China from LAX with the China flight leaving at 12:55AM.we plan to check in n at the TBIT at 8:55 PM to get the best seats. I have us arriving LA at 5:10 PM from SJC vs 7:25 PM the original flight. Is this a better time. I thought we could hang out in T1 or T2 and have a bite to eat and grab our suitcases around 8 and lineup by 8:30 PM. Then we could go to a lounge or walk back to T6 Alaska.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It is all up to you. But I don't see a point for early arrival in this case.

But since you sound like using PP for lounge access, I doubt that any lounges will allow early entry.

Last edited by garykung; Jan 11, 2020 at 3:39 am Reason: Misunderstand OP.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Can you not check in online the day before if you are concerned about seating. Note: You don't have a connection
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
With two separate tickets giving yourself plenty of time is a very good idea. Especially in an airport like LAX where TBIT TSA can be a cluster f***. That said, the 7:25 is plenty of time. I like 3-1/2 hours and you would be 4-1/2 hours on that.

You did not say who you are flying to China. Most of the Asian airlines will not open checkin until about 3 hours prior to the flight. The counters are shared and will not even be manned until about then. If they do pen at T-4hrs, I would still arrive at 7:35 and head over to TBIT at about 8:20. Once you checkin and clear TSA, TBIT really is a nice terminal. Look at the restaraunts up a level in the main atrium.

This is really not a WN question. Depending on who the TPAC carrier is I would consider moving the thread to that forum.

EDIT: On line checkin can be an adventure on some of the Asian airlines. You should try to do it, and hopefully grab a seat then. But they might still say you need to get a real BP at the checkin desk.

Last edited by exwannabe; Jan 12, 2020 at 3:24 pm
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN does not interline with any other carrier. Thus, you do not have a connection. 100% of the risk of a no show at LAX is on you. I would unhesitatingly take the earlier flight. Any delays and you miss that onwards ticket and the ticket will be cancelled. Whether it retains any value is a matter of the fare rules. But, you should presume that you will have to buy new tickets.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:14 pm
jmw

I have seen two passengers get hosed at SJC airport Terminal B (Southwest) trying to catch an LAX TBIT overseas flight during bad weather. They're begging the Southwest SJC agents for some way to get to LGB/BUR/SNA/ONT and take an Uber/taxi to LAX or SFO/OAK-LAX. The chances of this happening are very remote especially for SJC, but I've seen it happen so it can happen to you. And you are aware you will likely forfeit all of the ticket value if the plane going to China takes off without you unless it's a US-based carrier.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
WN does not interline with any other carrier. Thus, you do not have a connection. 100% of the risk of a no show at LAX is on you. I would unhesitatingly take the earlier flight. Any delays and you miss that onwards ticket and the ticket will be cancelled. Whether it retains any value is a matter of the fare rules. But, you should presume that you will have to buy new tickets.
Agreed. I would take a WN flight WAY WAY earlier than that.

Depends on how much of a gambler you are. And I guess what the carrier to China would charge you for a last-minute change if necessary,

Look what its happening right now at MDW, for example.:

Midwest Travel Advsiory - Flights 1/16/2020 - 1/19/2020 (Winter Storm Jacob)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.