Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Midway chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Midway chicago

I suggest using a different airline other than southwest when flying to Chicago. At this point I trust ohare so much more and Southwest only flies to midway. First of all not a safe area. Flying in last night the pilot mentioned carousel 7 for baggage claim to find out later it was at carousel 2. Never saw my bag, when I went to the kiosk they told me it maybe on the next flight, I will admit I arrived at the airport late. The next flight was getting in at 1245pm I was on the last flight of the day. This morning I get a call from my credit card company for unusual activity. I realized that my bag did make it through last night and was stolen. I called southwest and reported this and have received minimal help or guidance and reconnected to different people and was advised each time a different approach. Meanwhile nobody at the midway baggage claim was answering my calls or calls made by customer service for me because how they explained they were “busy with the plane” most likely due to understaffing. It has now been 24h I have not gotten through to the baggage claim at midway once.

I want my luggage

Last edited by nsx; Jul 28, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:54 am

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum.

DanielW
Moderator, Trip Reports
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Oh boy. First time poster with some stuff that does not seem to make sense. Anyone want to bet if he comes back here?

Baggage claim often moves to another belt. Just the way it is.

Credit card stolen? What does this have to do with Southwest? Unless you left credit cards in your checked bags. Should never do that.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Oh boy. First time poster with some stuff that does not seem to make sense. Anyone want to bet if he comes back here?

Baggage claim often moves to another belt. Just the way it is.

Credit card stolen? What does this have to do with Southwest? Unless you left credit cards in your checked bags. Should never do that.
it was in my checked bag and as I did not receive my checked bag and a card in it being used fraudulently clearly shows that the luggage was stolen. I don’t see why sw wouldn’t have an employee get in contact with airport security which then could continue to police. Also shows the neighborhood of the airport that it was that easy and no big deal
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Sorry, a few mistakes.

Biggest is leaving anything valuable in checked luggage.
Card being used most probably was from stolen bag, but I had a card used once and we did not check bags at all. It does happen.
Airlines do not file claims with police. They might notify airport security. You are welcome to file a police report.
Neighborhood? Maybe. Maybe not. Bad guys can walk into any airport baggage claim in the country and steal bags if they want to.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am no fan of either WN or MDW, but OP's complaints are simply off-base.

It is a good bet that his bag was stolen and everything other than the CC's have been dumped somewhere. The stolen card will be frozen and OP will not be responsible for the fraudulent charges. So, he is out the contents of the bag and WN will likely pay him the fair market value of the contents after 20 days. Note that fair market value does not mean replacement cost. Thus, a $100 shirt worn 3 times is not worth $100 or anywhere close to. Perhaps his travel insurance will do better.

As to the CC, do not ever put valuables, especially small and valuable items in checked luggage. Those go in your wallet or a carry-on.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Sorry, a few mistakes.

Biggest is leaving anything valuable in checked luggage.
That's telling him.

Any item you don't want to lose in your baggage is valuable, so the rebuke is vagrant.

Passanger security is conscientiously spelled out at MDW.

Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I think that a majority of the 22.4 million passengers going through MDW last year would disagree with the OP.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:14 pm

I used to fly SW in and out of Midway and had no problems. I actually preferred it. But, I didn't run into any problems, so that would be why. Carousels changing happens all the time - but my biggest gripe is when they don't tell you! Otherwise, just annoying.

Legal Tender - I used to think the same thing - EVERYTHING in my checked luggage is valuable to me. Now I realize what people are saying is that anything that you would not leave out of your sight if you had it on you is what should not be trusted in a bag that is out of your sight for hours. Jewelry, cash, credit cards, etc. A suit can be very espensive, as can be shoes, dresses, etc. but if you need to check these items, it makes sense. A credit card? I would say no.

This is not to disregard the absolute inconvenience to the OP. I totally understand their frustration. Just wanted to let them know some things can be avoided but some cannot.

Jane
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As to what is valuable. Maybe if it was phrased as what is more likely to be stolen.

So,that suit you spent $1,000 is surely valuable to you, but worth almost nothing to a thief.

A credit card actually is no financial loss to the poster, but the hassle can be a pain, maybe. None of my hacked credit cards were ever an issue to clear up.

There may be a case where it is VERY VALUABLE. He is stuck in city and needs a hotel and car but has not cash and the only credit card is gone. Then it is worth more than the suit.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:04 pm

Call Southwest directly for your lost baggage, not the airport baggage claim - you can google Southwest lost baggage for their direct phone number.

In the meantime, cancel your credit card and have them reissue a new one, if you haven't done that already. Lost baggage happens - it's not a Midway only thing.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:24 am

Sorry about your experience, but I find MDW so much easier to navigate than ORD. The food options are terrible, but the ease of getting downtown on a 20 min. train ride vs. ORD's 45 mins. (in a jammed car) settles it for me. And, as others have pointed out, baggage theft can occur anywhere. When I'm not doing carryon only, I like to be there the minute my bag comes out on the conveyor.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:56 pm

Who leaves a credit card in a checked bag?
wetrat0 and steved5480 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Rnow
At this point I trust ohare so much more
Stopped reading here. Anyone who prefers ohare over midway is not credible and cannot be trusted.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Who puts a credit card in checked luggage?
steved5480 likes this.

Last edited by nsx; Jul 30, 2018 at 5:42 pm Reason: personal insult redacted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.