Search

SWA Credit Card Annual Fee

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
OP’s one and only CC is the Chase WN.

I suggest he is not playing the game right.

Numerous credit cards are not good for credit score.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Vitaforce
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: Free agent
That's patently untrue. I have an 800+ score with 6 open cards. The important part is having a low utilization.
Tanic and seat38a like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:29 pm

Now you’re just making stuff up.
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Now you’re just making stuff up.

No I am not.

https://www.investopedia.com/article...edit-score.asp
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It's just too bad the representatives mostly likely don't have an accounting or financial background to make an educated decision. If someone in the finance or accounting department were making the decision, it probably wouldn't take them too long to figure out they make more on interchange fees for my high yearly transaction activity with an annual fee waiver vs having me cancel.
Actually not true. A CSR's ability is heavily restricted. So their backgrounds are not really relevant, as there are something they can do and can't do.

For the record, Chase waives/refunds AF in rare situations. Generally, those waivers/refunds are given only when the accounts have been closed just not too long ago from the AFs have been paid.

I do find OP's case interesting - Why does OP suddenly ask for an AF waiver 20 years after having the card? I mean you have been paying the AF for 20 years or so, why is it suddenly a problem for OP?

It also unfortunate that one can't downgrade to a Chase no annual fee credit card from a SWA card without closing a card and affecting a credit score. Seems like the company policy is set-up to repel rather than attract long-term customers. The marketing department needs improvement.
It is not a policy originated from Chase. It goes back all the way to First USA era.

Also - it is a policy that many have adopted. For example, the Costco AMEX card had the same policy (no conversion to other AMEX cards).

I believe that it is a standard characteristic of a cobranded card.
ursine1 likes this.

Last edited by garykung; Oct 13, 2019 at 3:47 pm
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Actually not true. A CSR's ability is heavily restricted. So their backgrounds are not really relevant, as there are something they can do and can't do.

For the record, Chase waives/refunds AF in rare situations. Generally, those waivers/refunds are given only when the accounts have been closed just not too long ago from the AFs have been paid.

I do find OP's case interesting - Why does OP suddenly ask for an AF waiver 20 years after having the card? I mean you have been paying the AF for 20 years or so, why is it suddenly a problem for OP?

It is not a policy originated from Chase. It goes back all the way to First USA era.

Also - it is a policy that many have adopted. For example, the Costco AMEX card had the same policy (no conversion to other AMEX cards).

I believe that it is a standard characteristic of a cobranded card.

I found a thread on this website

Chase Retention Offers - 2019

where people have successfully received a statement credit equal to the annual fee. Furthermore, there are dozens of consumer oriented websites that I have recently stumbled upon that mention consumers successfully being able to have their annual fee waived if they are long-time customers with good payment history.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:57 pm

You didn't even read your own linked article.

• Having a lot of credit cards can hurt your credit score if the total amount you owe on them exceeds 30% of your credit limit.
  • Holding numerous credit cards also hurts your credit score if that causes you to pay late, or if you've opened too many accounts in too short a time.
Bolding mine.
sdsearch, ursine1 and seat38a like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:57 pm

OP, you seem intent on arguing with every reply in this tread, including those that represent far more experience in this issue than you possess. Do what you want...in spite of the good advice offered here, you’re likely to continue taking the wrong approach anyway.
seat38a and MSYtoJFKagain like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
OP, you seem intent on arguing with every reply in this tread, including those that represent far more experience in this issue than you possess. Do what you want...in spite of the good advice offered here, you’re likely to continue taking the wrong approach anyway.

Disagree. It seems as if people on this thread want to criticize me for trying to get an annual fee waived because numerous consumer websites suggest doing that if you are a long-time customer with excellent payment history. I didn't know if today's culture it is meaningless as far as how a company views a customer to have the same card for 20 years.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:06 pm

We are not criticizing you about trying to get it waived. We're criticizing your questionable statements on having not multiple credit cards being beneficial.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Disagree. It seems as if people on this thread want to criticize me for trying to get an annual fee waived because numerous consumer websites suggest doing that if you are a long-time customer with excellent payment history. I didn't know if today's culture it is meaningless as far as how a company views a customer to have the same card for 20 years.
Your card is not offered anymore. Why would they reward you for keeping a product they no longer offer and want moved to another product? I have the old Marriott card. Chase throws all kinds of enticements at me to move to the new card with higher AF. Retention Bonus's are for existing products NOT for discontinued products.

I didn't know if today's culture it is meaningless as far as how a company views a customer to have the same card for 20 years.
Where have you been for the past 20 years????
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Then I suggest you get a no-annual-fee credit card of some kind right now and plan to keep that card "forever".

That'll give you more options regarding your existing Southwest card, because it'll start new "long-held card" history. Yes, it'll take some years before it's significant "long-held card" history, but better to start now than later, if you're not sure how much longer you're going to keep this Southwest card and it's the only one you have.

It is indeed unfortunate for you, but I think you may not realize how rare your situation is. Most people don't have one card with an annual fee and no other cards. Most people don't move up to an annual fee card until they've got other cards with no annual fee. And thus most people aren't in your situation where the card with an annual fee that you can't downgrade is your only card.

So I bet Chase didn't expect anyone to be in your situation, when they came up with their marketing approach. So you may want to talk to a "supervisor" at Chase and explain your situation and see if there's any kind of exception they can make given your situation (of this being your only card that you've had for the last 20 years).

Chase does downgrade partner cards to generic cards when those partner cards are discontinued. So there is some mechanism within Chase for downgrading from partner cards to generic cards. It's just that it might take "special intervention" to make it possible in a case where the card isn't being discontinued.

But again, I suggest you apply for a no-annual-fee "keeper" card first, and do everything else later.

Thank you for the suggestion. I know it's been reinforced several times that cancelling the 20 year SWA card first will cause a negative impact to my credit score. If I open a new no-annual fee card and then two weeks later cancel the SWA, will there still be a negative impact to my credit score? If so, I'm assuming it won't be my much. Will a 20 point drop will affect my home/auto insurance rates when it comes time to review?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seat38a
Your card is not offered anymore. Why would they reward you for keeping a product they no longer offer and want moved to another product? I have the old Marriott card. Chase throws all kinds of enticements at me to move to the new card with higher AF. Retention Bonus's are for existing products NOT for discontinued products.

Where have you been for the past 20 years????

My card is the SWA Plus card, which I thought is still available. I've been a loyal customer for 20 years.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:16 pm

I've been a loyal customer for 20 years.
Well. That changes everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.