Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWA Credit Card Annual Fee

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
19 years?

Cancel and 2 years later you can get 40-60,000 miles with a new card. Worth $600-$900 in WN flights. Way better than that pesky annual fee.
ursine1, camaross and Critterlynn like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
19 Years.

I can not image any card worth keeping for 19 years with a fee.

Wait - there is one. The IHG card gives me a free hotel night each year. Though - the recent reduction has me thinking twice about that.

I do have the higher WN card now, with the higher fee. The annual bonus and 4 upgrades does make that one worth it for us - as long as we are still flying WN on a regular basis.
I have had the hyatt card 5 years and always make out well with the annual free night compared to the $75 AF. Also the csr has a net af of $150 and earns 3 points per $1 on travel and dining, both are keeper cards for me unless the value proposition changes.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Vitaforce
Interesting how now the discussion turns to me being dumb for paying an annual fee for 19 years, when a plethora of the previous posts were suggesting I didn't deserve one, and that Chase rarely waives the annual fee, etc.. I'm assuming that each of you have successfully, after a cogent explanation to the representative, had the fees waived for each year you have held the card, since you are suggesting that I have been taken advantage of financially by the credit card company. So on one hand, most of you believe that Chase should not waive an annual fee to a loyal customer, then on the other hand you suggest I am stupid for paying an annual fee for 19 years.
You would likely benefit from an upgrade to your reading comprehension skills IMO.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN
Originally Posted by smmrfld
You would likely benefit from an upgrade to your reading comprehension skills IMO.

They're great. Thank you.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:36 pm

OMG. Hilarious.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:55 pm

19 years?

Cancel and 2 years later you can get 40-60,000 miles with a new card. Worth $600-$900 in WN flights. Way better than that pesky annual fee.
Seriously. In that same time could have gotten easily 400k+ southwest points ($6000-$8000 in flights) and a huge jump start on companion pass. And is bragging about saving 70 bucks on an annual fee YES WE'RE ALL JEALOUS lolz
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN
Originally Posted by camaross
Seriously. In that same time could have gotten easily 400k+ southwest points ($6000-$8000 in flights) and a huge jump start on companion pass. And is bragging about saving 70 bucks on an annual fee YES WE'RE ALL JEALOUS lolz

I thought cancelling ones only card isn't good for credit score. Surprised at the lack of decorum on this thread. Where are the moderators?
sdsearch likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Beachchaser
Closer to $41.40 (this is flyertalk)
Points are not fixed in value vs WN tickets, all-in.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
19 Years.

I can not image any card worth keeping for 19 years with a fee.

Wait - there is one. The IHG card gives me a free hotel night each year. Though - the recent reduction has me thinking twice about that.
Ink Plus, annual fee I think $95, can do $50k spend with 5x UR annually. Last card they will pry out of my hands.

Hyatt WOH Visa, free annual cat 4 night free, can be worth $300+.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
I thought cancelling ones only card isn't good for credit score. Surprised at the lack of decorum on this thread. Where are the moderators?
Sitting back eating popcorn.
joshua362 and synergistic like this.

Last edited by Critterlynn; Oct 20, 2019 at 8:21 am
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I thought cancelling ones only card isn't good for credit score. ...
I can not imagine having only one card - even if you are not collecting points.

We travel often and I carry at least two cards in case one goes bad. My wife carries two other cards as well.

Not sue, but I would think that having NO credit cards is not going to get great for a credit score.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Long threads with over 116 posts are always worth checking out.
This one was certainly a winner!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, canceling a card has a very different effect for someone with only card than for someone with many cards (and there are also differences based on credit history age, thought that is not the issue in your case).

I submit that the people with the least reading "comprehension" are those who didn't read enough to realize that this your only card, and then make comments based on only partial information.
Vitaforce likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:37 am

I assumed people realized that fact, and were actually commenting from a place where it was understood that 1) that's a bad idea, and 2) it could have been rectified in a beneficial way many, many, many years ago.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ursine1
I assumed people realized that fact, and were actually commenting from a place where it was understood that 1) that's a bad idea, and 2) it could have been rectified in a beneficial way many, many, many years ago.
What FACT are you talking about?
and
What was a bad idea
and
What was rectified?

There are lots of things being discussed in this thread and which parts are you speaking to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.