Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest closing Newark.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Wait, someone relocated to Newark specifically to be able to fly WN?

Ummm. Okay...
Poster said leverage, and Southwest had a presence in EWR. It is like people that choose to live near MDW or DAL for one reason, but leverage that one of the benefits is a nearby airport served by Southwest.
daloosh and ryw like this.

Last edited by beyondhere; Jul 30, 2019 at 9:06 am
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP

Ummm. Okay...
Originally Posted by beyondhere
Poster said leverage, and Southwest had a presence in EWR. It is like people that choose to live near MDW or DAL for one reason, but leverage that one of the benefits is a nearby airport served by Southwest.
Okay, there were two reasons:

First, his region kinda centers on Newark, and between being a loyal SW flyer from the midwest and easy highway access to the NY/PHL metro areas, NJ made more sense and was cheaper than living across the river in NYC.

Second, during his many trips to the Newark area, he met a girl...

I will have to ask what percentage each reason had in the decision! Now, he's screwed even getting back home to the midwest come the first week of Nov.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
Now that Southwest's strategy is major airports, I don't think Trenton is in the cards. Trenton's new terminal will be 4 gates but now Frontier will occupy atleast 1 to 2 gates so the operation would be smaller. Also the 737-800 would need to take a penalty due to Trenton's 6006ft runway perhaps a 700 would have an acceptable penalty but they are phasing alot of them out. If Southwest decided to move back to an alternate airport plan in some of their more difficult cities then TTN might have a shot. T.
I think Southwest's strategy now is more California / West focused, save for DC area. Not necessarily major airports growth focused, as it launched a new airport, LGB. I don't think there will be much LUV to the East Coast in general in new routes.

Maybe it would add RIC-BNA and few other routes from the east to BNA, but that'd be more about building up BNA.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
What routes did Southwest fly from EWR?
DEN for one. I was just shopping for flights from EWR-DEN for Thanksgiving. For every date I entered, the Southwest site just kept saying "no flights available that match your criteria." I could of saved some time if it said "we don't fly there!"
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by Traveler_boy_25
Austin, Baltimore, Chicago-Midway, Denver, Nashville, Oakland, Orlando, Phoenix-Sky Harbor, San Diego (Seasonal), and St. Louis.
Orlando was Saturday only at the end. I guess they were really getting clobbered. I purchased $49 each way tickets a year ago.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:30 am

Ummm. Okay...
To me its wait....someone relocated to Newark
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:31 pm

Some analysis https://crankyflier.com/2019/08/01/w...eaving-newark/
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Interesting. That's actually a violation of the Visa and MasterCard merchant agreements. You can't receive a credit or refund back to your card that's greater than the original charge. Just like you can't receive a refund back to a different card than the one used, even if that card account is now closed.
​​​​​
Although many merchants do violate this policy, it's still surprising to me to see Southwest do so.

When a similar situation happened to me I was initially told they could only refund the travel funds portion as a voucher. I pushed and eventually received a check.
Likely a backend process for reporting the refund amount as a refund for the original itinerary.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by kennethdmarks
Likely a backend process for reporting the refund amount as a refund for the original itinerary.
That would still be technically in violation of the merchant agreement. As I said, it's often done, so operationally there aren't any automatic barriers. But the refund is not supposed to be larger than the initial charge. Presumably, a company that did this with enough frequency would lose card acceptance privileges.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:29 pm

With Southwest closing EWR with its high cost airport, delays and it too competitive with United, and then WN cutting some highly competitive routes like ATL-BOS as well, it made me wonder if ATL-PHL (rather competitive and smaller than BOS from O&D perspective) is justifiable to be eliminated as well.

At the same time, I think Southwest wants to hold on to its gates in ATL, so it needs to fly a lot of routes. The Atlanta region is growing and ATL fits well between Texas and Florida strategically.

With the closing of EWR, is there actually a possibility that Southwest make a play for TTN? Perhaps ATL-TTN 2x daily, with a 3x daily to MDW added in to help fill some of the loss from MDW-EWR.

Or is the airport terminal and amenities at TTN too primitive for WN's standards? Location is workable otherwise. The ACY terminal is not primitive but TTN has the better location. (ideally if ACY terminal and runways were located in TTN's location that would be the best of both of the two airports). I've also kind of wondered if Southwest could make a play for ABE although it's a bit out and I doubt Delta will concede ABE-ATL.

More likely Southwest's play one day to help infill back in the Northeast will be buying JetBlue and convincing the DOJ that overlap is minimal. Cutting EWR means WN is smaller in NYC, and WN also has announced a number of cuts at BOS making it minor there, which will help the narrative that overlap is minimal. Unfortunately, the last acquisition has resulted in lost routes and decreased competition out of ATL.

Last edited by beyondhere; Aug 21, 2019 at 9:35 pm
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:29 pm

I think Southwest's strategy now is more California / West focused, save for DC area. Not necessarily major airports growth focused, as it launched a new airport, LGB. I don't think there will be much LUV to the East Coast in general in new routes.

Maybe it would add RIC-BNA and few other routes from the east to BNA, but that'd be more about building up BNA.
I am curious what you think that the reason is that the strategy seems to be more California and West Coast focused. Is it that there is too much competition on the East Coast? Is it because of where the airline started out? I do not disagree with your point, but am really curious about this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
More likely Southwest's play one day to help infill back in the Northeast will be buying JetBlue and convincing the DOJ that overlap is minimal. Cutting EWR means WN is smaller in NYC, and WN also has announced a number of cuts at BOS making it minor there, which will help the narrative that overlap is minimal. Unfortunately, the last acquisition has resulted in lost routes and decreased competition out of ATL.
After the buyout of Air Tran led to less competition on the East Coast, this would be a hard issue to push past DOJ.

As an aside, Air Tran use to have a nice presence at HPN (Westchester, 30 minutes north of the NYC) which serves the region. WN had to pull out as it is too small for 737s. DL is flying some found 717s into it now.

A220 anybody?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:59 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium

Makes sense to me. With the cutbacks in EWR (and BOS), it seems like WN seems to be mostly focusing on its California, and other western & midwest passengers. There's routing options to get those people to NYC and Boston as outstations, but not as robust of an east coast route network to really cater to NYC or Boston-originating passengers. (This focus on western and midwest US passengers perhaps makes sense given that the new Hawaii flights aren't well timed for east coasters.)

The northeast seems difficult to compete in as well, with the UA hub at EWR, DL hubs at LGA/JFK/BOS, AA at JFK/PHL, and B6 at JFK/BOS.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:13 am

With the closing of EWR, is there actually a possibility that Southwest make a play for TTN? Perhaps ATL-TTN 2x daily, with a 3x daily to MDW added in to help fill some of the loss from MDW-EWR. Or is the airport terminal and amenities at TTN too primitive for WN's standards? Location is workable otherwise. The ACY terminal is not primitive but TTN has the better location. (ideally if ACY terminal and runways were located in TTN's location that would be the best of both of the two airports).
TTN's terminal is pretty primitive, 2 gates, a small bar and grab to go sandwich area after security, minimal bathrooms after security, probably only seating for 200. Another 100 seats upstairs pre-security
Speaking of the runway full 738 is pushing, a 737-700 would be better. Also TTN probably can do 2-3 more daily flights max. They have a 70 seat restaurant and bar (according to the website), SkyLounge at Ewing serving a small variety of diner type food, prices are normal restaurant prices not inflated. WN would likely never come prior to the opening of the new terminal.

About 95% of the post security area (taken January 25,2017)

About 60-65% of the entire post security area (taken January 25, 2017)
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:41 pm

AS has a mini hub at DAL, old Virgin gates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.