Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest closing Newark.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by alggag
HOU-EWR was my preferred way of going to New York back when that route was still around. Ever since they dropped that I have gone via LGA and while the terminal has improved significantly in the last year the ground transport to or from LGA is still a massive pain the rear.
Agreed. Unless the taxi situation has improved since they were busing you from the taxi queue to another location on the airport grounds to the actual cab queue, LGA remains a disgrace for an airport in a major US city.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Michael El
I highly doubt it's a Max issue. I'm sure WN could strike a deal with Boeing to bring in non Max planes or find some used 7 or 800s to protect profitable routes.
Could, won't. In fact they're losing a bunch of 700s to United soon.

All WNs eggs are in the MAX basket
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:08 pm

Great line!
Originally Posted by beyondhere
...the feel would be like a nice but struggling grocery store closing in your neighborhood and it's filled with a dollar store and discount store.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1

Pease explain.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Michael El
I highly doubt it's a Max issue. I'm sure WN could strike a deal with Boeing to bring in non Max planes or find some used 7 or 800s to protect profitable routes.
It’s not that easy. Everyone else who has MAX’s needs planes, plus leasing for 6 months isn’t exactly normal.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by dlaue
Agreed. Unless the taxi situation has improved since they were busing you from the taxi queue to another location on the airport grounds to the actual cab queue, LGA remains a disgrace for an airport in a major US city.
And yet, it is still the preferred airport for NYC.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Smart, it's a pit and too congested. Doesn't work with WN's quick turnaround operations. Should also abandon LAX, SFO - redeploy planes to secondary airports. Back to the future.
joshua362 and steved5480 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Pease explain.

From Airliners.net:
Well folks truth is stranger than fiction. United Airlines is taking from WN 19 ex Air Tran 700 aircraft with deliveries starting end of this year. United outbid SWA for these GECAS 05-06 builds. Gary cut the deal before the MAX grounding; but can you imagine the PR nightmare that will ensue as SWA has to cut even more flights as these aircraft go to UAL. I am sure that Gary figured he could get MAX’s to replace them and that is even more true now as Boeing will be having a fire sale on MAX’s that carriers now do not want. But the longer the grounding goes the greater the risk. One thing is certain and that is that Gary has doubled down on the MAX.

Southwest currently has 276 aircraft on order. Every single one is a MAX (30 7's and 246 8's).
exwannabe likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by ursine1
Southwest currently has 276 aircraft on order. Every single one is a MAX (30 7's and 246 8's).
Hopefully GK has taken a secret shopping trip to Toulouse.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by dlaue
As of last weekend, the taxi situation was still the same, with the annoying shuttle bus to the taxi queue. In our case it only added about 10 minutes, although I think we were lucky. Still annoying overall.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by diver858
AS shares the EWR satellite with WN, has significantly increased transcon service to most of their west coast focus cities over the past couple of years, could see them adding EWR-DAL. Wondering how much their presence influenced the subject decision.

B6 already has some EWR service, out of a different terminal. Their NYC hub is JFK.
AS and WN don't share the same concourse. WN is in A1, and AS is in A3. All three concourses (A1, A2, A3) are not connected airside (after/post security).

B6 is in the same terminal (A), and the same concourse as WN (A1).

AS cancelled DAL-LGA due to poor performance. Don't see DAL-EWR or any AS midcon from the east coast. Their transcon is barely registering here on the east coast due to variety of issues not related to this thread.

Originally Posted by Nirvana91
As of last weekend, the taxi situation was still the same, with the annoying shuttle bus to the taxi queue. In our case it only added about 10 minutes, although I think we were lucky. Still annoying overall.
Public transportation is the way to go at LGA. Q70-SBS to E train - can get you to Manhattan in less than 20 minutes at a cost of $2.75 or free.

Last edited by Repooc17; Jul 27, 2019 at 10:20 am
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17

Public transportation is the way to go at LGA. Q70-SBS to E train - can get you to Manhattan in less than 20 minutes at a cost of $2.75 or free.
I am 100% pro public transit (don't even own a car at home) but I'd caution that this is a HUGE YMMV. 30 minutes might be possible on a good day but I have also done the Q70 and waited 20 minutes just for the bus, then gotten stuck in traffic (on a packed standing-room only bus) for another 20, then waited for the train for 10, then gotten stuck in the tunnel for 10, then finally made it to Manhattan 75 minutes later. Generally though it is still a much better value than a $45 cab ride. If we arrive at midnight I'm probably still going to take a cab though.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by Nirvana91
I am 100% pro public transit (don't even own a car at home) but I'd caution that this is a HUGE YMMV. 30 minutes might be possible on a good day but I have also done the Q70 and waited 20 minutes just for the bus, then gotten stuck in traffic (on a packed standing-room only bus) for another 20, then waited for the train for 10, then gotten stuck in the tunnel for 10, then finally made it to Manhattan 75 minutes later. Generally though it is still a much better value than a $45 cab ride. If we arrive at midnight I'm probably still going to take a cab though.
I flew through LGA this week and my experience with Q70 and E train was pretty much how you described it here. I also try to take public transit whenever and wherever it's a sensible option and even I was getting frustrated in the hot, smelly, and standing room only bus inching along to the Jackson Heights station. The upside was that I was telling myself that at least I only paid $2.75 to be stuck in traffic instead of $50 for a cab/Uber.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
LGA is currently a nightmare, would have preferred DAL-EWR, expect there are others who feel the same way.
There's still DFW-EWR covered by AA and UA, for those from the DFW metroplex that prefer to take a nonstop to EWR (heading to North/Central NJ, and/or those avoiding LGA or want rail based public transportation into their final destination in NYC). The best bet imo is if Spirit would add service which will keep AA and UA somewhat on check on fares into/out of EWR. If AS gives up a gate in DAL or leaves entirely, and Delta picks up one or two, maybe it'd offer service to NYC from DAL, although not EWR, but more likely LGA again, or JFK. A DAL-JFK would be more likely IMO over DAL-EWR, even though DAL-JFK is contingent on a scenario of Delta achieving more gates in DAL.

Last edited by beyondhere; Jul 27, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by beyondhere
Hopefully the gates don't go to UA....Indirectly, this might help Southwest's ops at PHL. Loyal Southwest fliers that were split using EWR or PHL, will gravitate back to PHL in some cases.
Half way between EWR and PHL (actually EWR is slightly closer) and usually I'm a Philly traveler but the nonstop to AUS and their low fares ($109-129 to AUS and dirt cheap to MCO $49 before they moved to Sat only) were what got me to use it. It certainly wasn't the great modern facility they flew out of. I can't wait for Terminal 1. Though if UA is able to gain the gates and fares rise, Terminal 1 may not even get me to EWR. If fares do rise, I can see it being a help to TTN especially with their new terminal coming in a few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.