Southwest closing Newark.

Old Jul 25, 19, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Southwest closing Newark.

Closing Newark in November due to Max issues:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/25/sout...grounding.html
Old Jul 25, 19, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The excuse is extremely lame.

Sure. MAX grounding can significantly impact operation. But closing a station?

Why not WN stop Hawaiian service instead?
Old Jul 25, 19, 5:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Now I have to get rid of my Southwest points .... what is the best value? No chase credit card otherwise I would just get Amazon GC...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 25, 19, 5:54 am

That sucks. Would have liked to take a EWR-PHX route this winter. For us in the NYC area the farthest west we can go nonstop is Denver now. Nothing to the west coast.
Old Jul 25, 19, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by garykung View Post

Why not WN stop Hawaiian service instead?
To the contrary, losing EWR frees up HI growth:

"While the lack of available aircraft, due to the MAX groundings, resulted in expansion delays to Hawaii, we are excited to resume growth plans next month with the first of several intended announcements. We will offer service to the Islands from both Sacramento and San Diego, as well as bring Southwest service to both Lihue, on Kauai, and Hilo, on the Island of Hawaii."
SWA Reports Record 2Q Revenue & Earnings Per Share
copperred and steved5480 like this.
Old Jul 25, 19, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Sure. MAX grounding can significantly impact operation. But closing a station?
EWR is the very definition of the kind of station WN used to steer clear of to protect operational integrity and profitability: crowded, dominated by one legacy gorilla, and prone to delays and breakdowns.

In olden days WN focused on developing new / alternative markets in flood-the-zone fashion rather than throwing itself into the nation's biggest infrastructural messes. Going hard into MHT and PVD rather than BOS, for example, or exploiting MDW to the hilt while staying clear of ORD (a wise strategy they stick to today).

I expect EWR is more trouble than it's worth for Southwest. They can hang the pullout decision on the Max nightmare, but I think it's equally down to cost-benefit analysis and optimizing use of available resources.
Old Jul 25, 19, 7:22 am

I don't think it's clear that they are closing EWR due to the MAX issue. The press release cites lower than expected profitability at EWR as the reason for the station closing. And they certainly don't make it sound like EWR will reopen if/when the MAX is cleared to return to service.
krazykanuck and HomerJay like this.
Old Jul 25, 19, 7:25 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The MAX and EWR are not related at all. People just conflated the two issues since WN mentioned both in relation to their earnings announcement. Will be interesting to see who gets those gates.
Old Jul 25, 19, 8:05 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
The MAX and EWR are not related at all. People just conflated the two issues since WN mentioned both in relation to their earnings announcement. Will be interesting to see who gets those gates.
While I mostly agree with that, I don't know if it is completely true. The closing date of November 3 is also the date which the MAX had been taken out of the schedules so far. Obviously the MAX isn't THE reason, but EWR may have held on for a little longer if not for the MAX issues.
Old Jul 25, 19, 8:35 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
While I mostly agree with that, I don't know if it is completely true. The closing date of November 3 is also the date which the MAX had been taken out of the schedules so far. Obviously the MAX isn't THE reason, but EWR may have held on for a little longer if not for the MAX issues.
Wrong. The max is out of the schedule through 2 January 2020. Hawaii is a bigger priority for the winter and closing EWR in November gives them the planes they need to ramp up HI when demand is at its peak.
Old Jul 25, 19, 8:47 am

Wasn't Southwest given EWR gates in exchange for the merger between Continental and United to help stop the monopoly of UA?

That's so 2011.
Old Jul 25, 19, 8:47 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
MAX - indirectly, maybe.

The top line goal is to make the most money from the resources (planes) it has. So, you focus on profitable routes and remove unprofitable routes. That of course includes competition, ease or difficulty in each market, etc. I am thinking the MAX situation has forced them to improve their analysis of markets and routes as they managed their changes due to less aircraft.

If EWR is a hassle to operate, then move on.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Jul 25, 19, 8:59 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
Wrong. The max is out of the schedule through 2 January 2020. Hawaii is a bigger priority for the winter and closing EWR in November gives them the planes they need to ramp up HI when demand is at its peak.
No it's not yet.
https://www.southwest.com/html/air/7...737MAX8_190408
It will be taken out of the schedule through January 5. This was announced in the same press release as the closing of EWR.
Southwest Reports Record Second Quarter Revenues And Earnings Per Share ? Southwest Airlines
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 19, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
What routes did Southwest fly from EWR?
Old Jul 25, 19, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL View Post
What routes did Southwest fly from EWR?
A few west coast destinations that we now don't have access to from LGA. Phoenix, San Diego and Oakland (I think)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: