Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BEWARE: Southwest will steal your points !

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by satman40
They should tell you, but it is posted..

AA does not send you letters, but they will let you buy them back..

funny how we forget bills, some of us forget to go to work..

AA sent me snail mail and emails when my miles were about to expire even offered me ways to use them before they did.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Frontier miles expire after 6 months, but the do send you an email notice.
Does anyone fly Frontier more than once?
Bluesman62, MJMLBBtoCPH and Andykh like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a
My points expired and from personal experience, Southwest DOES send out expiration notification in advance. If OP and others choose not to update their contact information and/or actually read the the notifications that arrive from Southwest, then you'r SOL.

Southwest says they send one notification. But so many people report never receiving anything that I suspect it is a matter of using an older email address, or those notifications ending up in junk folders. However, many people report receiving marketing messages and flight confirmation messages, but not any notification (even after checking their junk folder). I'd suggest that it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect them to send more than one notification, or to implement a pop-up on the website, etc. if they really wanted to stop customers' points from expiring (which, as we know, they do not).
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by ursine1
Southwest says they send one notification. But so many people report never receiving anything that I suspect it is a matter of using an older email address, or those notifications ending up in junk folders. However, many people report receiving marketing messages and flight confirmation messages, but not any notification (even after checking their junk folder). I'd suggest that it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect them to send more than one notification, or to implement a pop-up on the website, etc. if they really wanted to stop customers' points from expiring (which, as we know, they do not).
I put a notice in my appointment book, never had a problem, but some of my friends have ran close..
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
OP SW may do something via twitter. Give them a try.

On the other hand, if OP has been with SW for over 16 years then he went through the transformation when they went from a credit system to a point system and it was clearly laid out there that points expire after two years of no use. It has pretty well become the standard (except for Delta) that between 18 and 24 months of no use, points will expire
bobunf likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Blitzjb
I prefer F9 over Allegiant.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by manually
OP SW may do something via twitter. Give them a try.
They will not.

See my earlier post.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Blitzjb
​​​​​​With the reduction/elimination of nonstop service by Southwest LAS-CLE I've been forced to use Frontier. I've actually found them to be not bad at all. The timing of their nonstops is a little odd, but as long as you spring for the extra legroom seat they're fine. Even adding on The Works, which includes bags, the extra legroom seat, priority boarding and full refund ability, the cost is significantly less than WGA for a connecting flight. I've done this five times in the last six months and not been delayed more than 15 minutes. Contrast with Southwest, where my last three flights were delayed over an hour, (one three and a half hours).
expert7700 and steved5480 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA, DL, HH Silver, IHG plat
Best advice I have is setting up a 1$ amazon reload or Wikipedia donation every month on the co-branded card, even if you don't use the card (Chase United Explorer) but the benefits are worthwhile it ensures that both the card account and the miles stay active. AFAIK miles never expire with the co-branded card active, but to make sure it stays active after being sock drawered the 1$ charge makes it simple to not have to remember it.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by b00mer89
Best advice I have is setting up a 1$ amazon reload or Wikipedia donation every month on the co-branded card, even if you don't use the card (Chase United Explorer) but the benefits are worthwhile it ensures that both the card account and the miles stay active. AFAIK miles never expire with the co-branded card active, but to make sure it stays active after being sock drawered the 1$ charge makes it simple to not have to remember it.
You're correct that points don't expire as long as you have a Southwest credit card. The anniversary points keep that from happening, and if I'm not mistaken Chase would have to notify you if they were closing your account for any reason.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:14 pm

This discussion reminded me of the following post in this thread from last year, where someone had claimed that 1) their expired points were returned after they "emailed the CEO," and 2) Southwest was considering changing the policy, and an announcement was forthcoming.

I was skeptical then, and I remain skeptical.

My understanding is that the initial edict to no longer allow agents the discretion to reinstate forfeited points came directly from upper management.

OP: If you try emailing the CEO and have any luck with that approach, please do let us know.

Originally Posted by ZapperO
Quick update. Got my 50k points reinstated into my account by SW. Emailed the CEO and it worked.

Talked with a senior exec and was told they are considering some changes. Potential points won’t expire rule change or other favorable changes eluded to and told to stay tuned for coming announcement. Don’t have an exact timeline but sounds like maybe in August or September.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:40 pm

This is one of the reasons I keep my INK card. I transfer 1000 points/miles once a year ( Outlook reminder set up ) to Southwest, Hyatt, IHG, UA and Marriott to keep my points/miles alive

I see no value in paying an AF on a co branded card as my wife and I switch off getting cards and one of us is always working towards 0/24.

In 2 years or so, get the card and the SU bonus again.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
WN has gave me CP when I was a few points short many year ago,

They have been very good to our group over the years..
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Disagree. WN has many customer friendly policies. Many more, in my opinion, than most other airlines, especially for the non status flyer. This just doesn't happen to be one of them.
Meh, we could argue that point all day long.

I have been a WN FF since 1997. I am making my statement out of my experiences. Your experiences may vary.

I fly SW when it makes sense and I lower my expectations during IRROPS. But I don't drink the LUV koolaid.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
WN has gave me CP when I was a few points short many year ago,

They have been very good to our group over the years..

That was then, this is now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.