FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   BEWARE: Southwest will steal your points ! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1961751-beware-southwest-will-steal-your-points.html)

jrpcs Mar 20, 2019 8:33 am

BEWARE: Southwest will steal your points !

I was surprised recently to find that when trying to get a family member a ticket for a funeral they couldn't afford to attend, that my 115,000+ Reward points had EVAPORATED!
How could that be? I had just taken a Rewards Flight just 2 months prior. When calling Southwest Rewards, I was attended by a representative that sounded exactly like an automaton.

AUTOMATON: Sorry, but if you read the details of the rewards program you will see that if you do not add points to your account, we assume it is defunct and zero it out!
ME: BUT I JUST FLEW WITH YOU USING REWARD POINTS!
AUTOMATON: Sorry that doesn't count...you have to ADD points for us to assume the account is active in a 24 month period.
ME: BUT THAT WAS WORTH OVER $3000 AND YOU NEVER EVEN HAD THE COURTESY TO NOTIFY ME IN ADVANCE THAT THIS WAS PENDING???.
AUTOMATON: Sorry that is not our responsibility.
ME: BUT I WAS AN A-LIST FLYER WITH YOU FOR OVER 16 YEARS ! HAVE YOU NO CUSTOMER LOYALTY? I HAD EARNED OVER 250,000 POINTS WITH YOU AS A BUSINESS TRAVELER, AND NOW THAT I AM RETIRED, AND HAVE TIME TO USE THEM.....YOU TAKE THEM AWAY??? YOU KNEW I WAS ALIVE, I JUST FLEW WITH YOU!
AUTOMATON: Sorry (not sorry).

NEVER AGAIN WITH SOUTHWEST

pgh234 Mar 20, 2019 8:42 am

*sigh*

Troopers Mar 20, 2019 8:44 am

Yea, that sucks. Suggest twitter and perhaps the social media team can help.

ETA: I'd be surprised if you get any sympathy replies. And welcome to FT!

aaronp84 Mar 20, 2019 8:45 am

Maybe read and understand the rules of the program?

Troopers Mar 20, 2019 8:52 am

Originally Posted by aaronp84 (Post 30909081)
Maybe read and understand the rules of the program?

In fairness to the OP, the OP was not notified about expiration and date of last qualifying activity is not provided in the app. Not customer centric.

satman40 Mar 20, 2019 9:00 am

They should tell you, but it is posted..

AA does not send you letters, but they will let you buy them back..

funny how we forget bills, some of us forget to go to work..

smmrfld Mar 20, 2019 9:42 am

Why is OP yelling? Similar behavior likely influenced the outcome of the phone conversation. Also, if you’re going to quote a conversation, at least quote it accurately; I highly doubt this is an actual transcript.

Tanic Mar 20, 2019 9:53 am

Originally Posted by jrpcs (Post 30909036)
ME: BUT I WAS AN A-LIST FLYER WITH YOU FOR OVER 16 YEARS... NEVER AGAIN WITH SOUTHWEST

The Rapid Rewards A-List program was established on November 7, 2007.

PlaneJane1 Mar 20, 2019 10:02 am

I was surprised recently to find that when trying to get a family member a ticket for a funeral they couldn't afford to attend, that my 115,000+ Reward points had EVAPORATED!
How could that be? I had just taken a Rewards Flight just 2 months prior. When calling Southwest Rewards, I was attended by a representative that sounded exactly like an automaton.

AUTOMATON: Sorry, but if you read the details of the rewards program you will see that if you do not add points to your account, we assume it is defunct and zero it out!
ME: BUT I JUST FLEW WITH YOU USING REWARD POINTS!
AUTOMATON: Sorry that doesn't count...you have to ADD points for us to assume the account is active in a 24 month period.
ME: BUT THAT WAS WORTH OVER $3000 AND YOU NEVER EVEN HAD THE COURTESY TO NOTIFY ME IN ADVANCE THAT THIS WAS PENDING???.
AUTOMATON: Sorry that is not our responsibility.
ME: BUT I WAS AN A-LIST FLYER WITH YOU FOR OVER 16 YEARS ! HAVE YOU NO CUSTOMER LOYALTY? I HAD EARNED OVER 250,000 POINTS WITH YOU AS A BUSINESS TRAVELER, AND NOW THAT I AM RETIRED, AND HAVE TIME TO USE THEM.....YOU TAKE THEM AWAY??? YOU KNEW I WAS ALIVE, I JUST FLEW WITH YOU!
AUTOMATON: Sorry (not sorry).

NEVER AGAIN WITH SOUTHWEST

Sucks but that’s life. They didn’t steal your points. They’re not doing anything with them, they expired. When my DL expires, it’s not stolen by the state. Be aware, be informed and stop yelling.

LegalTender Mar 20, 2019 10:22 am

YOU NEVER EVEN HAD THE COURTESY TO NOTIFY ME IN ADVANCE THAT THIS WAS PENDING?

The airline loses $ with pro-active courtesy notifications. It’s better if you’re not told.

Enjoy the FT pile-on.

toomanybooks Mar 20, 2019 10:42 am

Unfortunately this is precisely covered in the T&Cs. You must have points go into the account every 24 months to keep it active.

Not very friendly, agreed, but quite clearly stated.

LegalTender Mar 20, 2019 11:07 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 30909543)
Not very friendly, agreed, but quite clearly stated.

UA: 'United may, but shall have no obligation to, send a Member a notification of miles nearing expiration.'

AA: 'Your wallet shows the number of miles you have and the earliest date they could expire. All miles expired from December 2002 onward are eligible for reactivation for a fee.'

DL: 'Miles do not expire.'

rickg523 Mar 20, 2019 11:17 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender (Post 30909629)
UA: 'United may, but shall have no obligation to, send a Member a notification of miles nearing expiration.'

That's hilarious! I have like 5000 residual Skymiles from at least a decade ago (when I chose to no longer fly UA due to repeated service failures). And I have gotten at least three mailings a year, every year, offering me magazine subscriptions for those points "before they expire!". Because I'm not a magazine reader, these mailings get round-filed unopened.
As far as I can tell, these Skymiles will never expire.

camaross Mar 20, 2019 11:21 am

IM SO MAD IM GOING TO FIND THE FIRST INTERNET FORUM I CAN POST ON TO RANT ABOUT SW BECAUSE I DIDN'T READ THE T&C OF THE PROGRAMS I PARTICIPATE IN

/s

MSYtoJFKagain Mar 20, 2019 11:59 am

and OP was never heard from again.