Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

$29 to $39 intra-California fares T W Sat, Alaska sale match

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$29 to $39 intra-California fares T W Sat, Alaska sale match

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Spectacularly high? You guys in California need a does of reality.
Plausible. I've been commuting 20+ years at average fares around $50 each way or a bit less. I've seen $29 fares for next-day travel. I can't recall ever paying over $100 when traveling intra-CA at my own expense. In the days of 4 $29 round trips to earn an unrestricted free RT ticket, we were virtually paid to fly.

It's true that Californians are spoiled.
Cledaybuck likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Given that the airport is still less busy than it was in 1992
I wonder if T2 (which seemed always empty to me the couple of times I used to venture over to use the Escape Lounge before T4 got theirs) is weighing down the numbers? I'd heard they were going to mothball ONT 'till WN came in and got some nice concessions (which at least to me, seem to be paying off).
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Spectacularly high? You guys in California need a does of reality.
Reality until the past few years was $29-39 sale fares, $59-69 WGA fares (every day) and maybe $99 at the worst. On pretty much every route within the state. So yes, we are having trouble adjusting to the new reality!

I'm old enough to remember paying $160 RT in the days after US Air jacked up fares after buying PSA (and before WN exploded in CA). That equates to about $340 now. We are not there yet but certainly heading that direction at the secondary airports where WN has a near monopoly. Even worse to Las Vegas where the popular weekend flights generally run $200+ one-way. Which is frustrating when people find flights that are 3x longer for half as much.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Reality until the past few years was $29-39 sale fares, $59-69 WGA fares (every day) and maybe $99 at the worst. On pretty much every route within the state. So yes, we are having trouble adjusting to the new reality!
Agreed that's California's reality, but that is not reality for much of the rest of the country. If I look at a similar length route here (CMH-BWI), fares in June are $109-$129, with the majority of those on the high end. CMH-MDW is $108 the whole month. Fares under $100 sound pretty good and under $50 sounds amazing.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:36 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Alaska has a 3-day sale through March 7 for Tuesday/Wednesday travel through May 20. I'm looking at $30 fares LAX-SJC and LAX-LAS as early as March 24. Segment runs are $54.36 round trip.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:15 am
jmw

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
When was the last time you were in there? I'm in and out of the IE all the time and there's rarely a time ONT is empty, and my SJC flights there and back almost always go out completely full. One time I'd landed at ~10:30p and had to walk past at least two gates full of departing pax.

I fly a lot through the LA airports including ONT.

Pre-coronavirus, Ontario is dead compared to other formerly struggling California airports like SJC and even OAK. It took two years to find a new tenant after Carl's Jr. left. The gates at the far end hardly get used. This airport is dead for many reasons and it shouldn't be because it's a superior option for those in E LA county and IE due to traffic. You cannot run an airport with so many gates with no planes parked there.

Back to the low fares in California: The LAX-MDW fares are down to $61 again for the semi-redeye, probably due to Coronavirus. I've repriced my tickets for this route. Thank you China. Yeah we are spoiled in Cali compared to others.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:51 am
jmw

Another Alaska sale. I'm pretty bored with the $29 sales pre-Jun 10th since they've appeared so often. They are $25 with basic economy over at Alaska.

But I see $49 fares post-Jun 10th to the dreaded LAX from SJC and $59 to Ontario on Tu/Wed/Sat.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by jmw; Mar 10, 2020 at 10:57 am
Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:37 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Southwest did not fully match Saver fares during the last 2 Alaska fire sales. That makes perfect sense to me. Alaska's Basic Economy is much more restrictive than Southwest's WGA.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
T/W/S fares are now $29 e/w LAX/SAN-SJC. That's lower than it was yesterday/last week. Other day fares last week, yesterday have gone up from $39 to $49. Thru June 10.
Same fare between LAX/SAN-LAS.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:48 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CalItalian
T/W/S fares are now $29 e/w LAX/SAN-SJC. That's lower than it was yesterday/last week. Other day fares last week, yesterday have gone up from $39 to $49. Thru June 10.
Same fare between LAX/SAN-LAS.
If you want to game the system (and this being FT, who doesn't?) you could book a segment run RT on mid-day flights you suspect might be dropped from the schedule, giving you a free change opportunity. If you want to do an actual segment run on lightly loaded flights, this would be a good time to accomplish that too.
CalItalian likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:43 pm
jmw

Southwest initiated sale $39 which includes intra CA. April14-Jun6 Aug18-Oct30 Book by 3/26.

Ontario ghost-town tax in effect $49 (pre-crisis it was 59 and up). Oakland has some 39s.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Yes I need to recheck my $49-59-69 reservations, though I full expect the April trips will be cancelled due to our current California quarantine or postponement of events. It is nice to see that sale fares in the past month have been extended to hub fortress OAK - a reflection on how many seats are flying empty.

Unfortunately it looks like July and most of June is still blacked out but that too may change.

Update: Saved $10 each on my June flights but only see $84 for my September weekend flights. I'm happy to wait.

Last edited by Boraxo; Mar 27, 2020 at 12:44 am
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Boraxo
... a reflection on how many seats are flying empty
An -800 SJC-SAN went out yesterday afternoon with ~21 pax; it's usually pretty full.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:20 pm
jmw

Now Ontario qualifies as a ghost town.

RIP Ontario-SJC. 6x week service (no Saturday). 1 or 2 flights per day. Late April

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.