Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

RR account hacked and SW has been unresponsive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RR account hacked and SW has been unresponsive

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by joshua362
Problem with SMS is now you've given out your cell number to a for profit commercial entity. Only a matter of time before it gets passed around for marketing no matter what the privacy and disclosure statements say. I guess I'm still reeling from the landline abuses of prior years.

So, a free Goggle Voice account gets you the appearance of a cell phone and 2 way texting. That is the only number banks & credit card companies get of mine.
Wow - I must live in a different world or zone.

I have given my phone number to:
every bank for our 30+ credit cards
every frequent flyer/hotel account - that must be well over 30 of them
maybe another 50 vendors from online purchases

the list goes on and on

I get less than a handful of junk phone calls a week... sometimes none. And I have never bothered to add my number to do not call lists.
cuthroat and Critterlynn like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Do consider yourself lucky! Once it happens, the floodgates open IME. The amount of calls I get on a daily basis on a VOIP business line is staggering. Caller ID can only help ID a portion.

1980-1990's we used to move around a lot and that meant a new phone number each time. And a move meant a visit to Home Depot or similar for new house stuff. My ex would enter a drawing for a $20 gift card or some other crap with the brand new phone number and within 2 days the phone would start ringing from the local newspaper and other businesses...
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by flyer4512
...So you are saying we have no idea who is boarding planes and if I ever can't make a flight I can just sell my ticket to someone else as the name on the ticket doesn't matter..................
With just a few thoughts, you can easily answer this question.

When was the last time someone asked for your ID as you were boarding a plane?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
With just a few thoughts, you can easily answer this question.

When was the last time someone asked for your ID as you were boarding a plane?

Last summer by TSA at the gate as was everyone else on my flight
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that does happen from time to time. I have not encountered it in over a year. Thinking it was at least 50 flights ago the last time I encountered it.

Again, let's put on our thinking cap for just a second. Assume you had a boarding pass that did not match your ID - and you saw that TSA was standing there checking ID's. What would you do?

Problem solved, right?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:38 pm

Yes, that does happen from time to time. I have not encountered it in over a year. Thinking it was at least 50 flights ago the last time I encountered it.

Again, let's put on our thinking cap for just a second. Assume you had a boarding pass that did not match your ID - and you saw that TSA was standing there checking ID's. What would you do?

Problem solved, right?
It's much easier for some to wring their hands while they perceive the sky is falling, rather than use common sense as you suggest.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:33 pm

Problem solved, right?

In my case the TSA tapped me on the shoulder and asked for my documents, I was leaning against a column waiting for my flight when TSA showed up. Do you think TSA is going to ask you for your boarding pass and ID at the gate and if you don't have either they are going to just say oh well and move on ? That's funny, do you have a "thinking cap" as to what a person does at that point , RUN perhaps? Just don't drop that "THINKING CAP" !!

Regardless of what flight you board you have to get past TSA............So they do know who is flying and that was my point.

I'm done, you can argue your fictitious scenario with someone else..............next time I fly I'll ask someone to swap boarding passes , in fact maybe they should play that over the PA system when they tell you not to accept packages from a stranger ...............and don't trade/sell/barter boarding passes.

Originally Posted by smmrfld

It's much easier for some to wring their hands while they perceive the sky is falling, rather than use common sense as you suggest.
What would that common sense be , RUN ? .............If you are past security without a boarding pass and ID that match ( and did not tell TSA you forgot your ID and thus had additional screening) you have some explaining to do as to how you got there and you are going to be in for a LONG day.

If this was a real world problem there would be MANY more gate checks.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 16, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
It is still very rare.

For a domestic flight one could easily enter the airport via another ticket under their real ID, then fly on the faux name.
I
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
In my case the TSA tapped me on the shoulder and asked for my documents, I was leaning against a column waiting for my flight when TSA showed up. Do you think TSA is going to ask you for your boarding pass and ID at the gate and if you don't have either they are going to just say oh well and move on ? That's funny, do you have a "thinking cap" as to what a person does at that point , RUN perhaps? Just don't drop that "THINKING CAP" !!

Regardless of what flight you board you have to get past TSA............So they do know who is flying and that was my point.

I'm done, you can argue your fictitious scenario with someone else..............next time I fly I'll ask someone to swap boarding passes , in fact maybe they should play that over the PA system when they tell you not to accept packages from a stranger ...............and don't trade/sell/barter boarding passes.

What would that common sense be , RUN ? .............If you are past security without a boarding pass and ID that match ( and did not tell TSA you forgot your ID and thus had additional screening) you have some explaining to do as to how you got there and you are going to be in for a LONG day.

Don't take it personally. Many people think the way you are thinking because they've never considered possibilities that they wouldn't engage in. To answer your questions:
Leaning against the column I would just tell them I'm not on this flight, just hanging around waiting for my flight. I would show them the ID and matching ticket (probably refundable) that I used to enter the secure area. As the TSA gate checks are far and few between, not really something I'd worry about. No need to run.
Yes you have to get past TSA to enter the secure area, but they don't know for sure who is flying. Once inside the secure area you might decide to leave. They don't know who left and who actually boarded (domestic flights). Once you've cleared TSA, the only security that the airline is really concerned about is revenue security. They don't want you selling the cheap ticket you bought, and now can't use, to a last minute traveler. But as we've been trying to show you, all it takes is for me to buy a refundable ticket, get through security, refund my ticket and give you $100 for your boarding pass. You leave the airport and I get on the flight.
What's fictitious is your belief that they know who is flying. And they won't announce over the PA because they don't want to give people ideas.
As has been pointed out, you use an ID that matches the ticket you use to get through security. Doesn't mean that someone else can't use your boarding pass to get on the plane.

Don't be fooled by the security theater that is the TSA. And the ID check they do is really somewhat of a holdover from when the ID check was for revenue security. The fact that you are carrying an ID that matches your ticket really doesn't make you any less of a threat. Anyone that would be known to the TSA as a threat would be a moron to use their real name.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
It is a real world scenario because it does happen. But it is not a "real world problem" because it doesn't matter very much.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
It is a real world scenario because it does happen. But it is not a "real world problem" because it doesn't matter very much.
It matters a little.

Airlines need to restrict the ability of passengers to resell tickets. Otherwise, passengers would resell unwanted tickets on eBay.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender
It matters a little.

Airlines need to restrict the ability of passengers to resell tickets. Otherwise, passengers would resell unwanted tickets on eBay.
This has never made sense to me. It somehow seems OK to resell every conceivable item on eBay or Craigslist or Amazon other than hotel rooms and airline tickets. Not sure why they are so unique.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LegalTender
It matters a little.

Not sure what you are talking about. It currently is very difficult to buy "unwanted" tickets anywhere. There are surely a few people that might be playing games, but it must be rare. After all, they still have to find a way to get through security. It can be done, but too much hassle for most people.

Are you saying this goes on?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks

This has never made sense to me. It somehow seems OK to resell every conceivable item on eBay or Craigslist or Amazon other than hotel rooms and airline tickets. Not sure why they are so unique.
Tickets are non transferable here, but more common in Europe.

Brokers re-sell once the airline collects a name-change fee.

Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

if it was acceptable to resell air tickets, I think I could make good money buying tickets far out and on sale and resell them close in at a discount to the airline price. This is particularly true on WN where I can continually roll over older unused tickets to newer tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.