Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

RR account hacked and SW has been unresponsive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RR account hacked and SW has been unresponsive

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Think through the process to get on the plane and you can figure this out.

Let's say you are at a bar in the airport and decide to not fly. Guy next to you just flew in and is about to head home and willing to buy your boarding pass from you. Would it work?

Of course it would.

Not saying it is legal, just there is no problem doing it.
I'm surprised this doesn't happen all day long by people with expiring TTFs who feel burned by the fact that the funds are locked in their name. Buy a ticket, check in, get the boarding pass, get the friend/family past TSA with a fully refundable ticket then board the flight (without checked baggage), cancel the fully refundable ticket. In the unlikely event of a TSA gate check or other mishap (a plane swap after boarding), show the dummy BP and/or claim some sort of paper switch-a-roo happened. Takes some balls but I'm sure it as been figured out and done.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:52 pm

Think through the process to get on the plane and you can figure this out.

Let's say you are at a bar in the airport and decide to not fly. Guy next to you just flew in and is about to head home and willing to buy your boarding pass from you. Would it work?

Of course it would.

Not saying it is legal, just there is no problem doing it.
Yes because people who have already paid for flights are always looking to buy other tickets in the concourse, in fact I saw this scenario once where a guy was scalping Lunar Shuttle tickets.

So basically 2 people headed to the airport with tickets in their names, both passed through TSA with tickets and ID's in their name..No ID and you are taken aside and asked questions to verify your identity. ...............what is gained by them not boarding the correct flight ? Whoever had the stolen ticket in their name can still be tracked if the Airline wanted to do so.

I had a connection through MCI last year where TSA was checking ID's at the gate and have seen TSA do this several times although only once where my flight was picked for enhanced security check
LegalTender likes this.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 12, 2019 at 3:36 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:56 pm

Scope means exactly what?

I did not see if that means one person with multiple tickets, two people, 20 people or hundreds of thousands.

Based on this board, you can make a wild assumption it is not a massive issue. Of course this stuff happens. But, is a major problem of significant scope?
The airline tells a customer "that due to the scope and size of the breach and theft, the corporate fraud department is investigating."

Draw your own conclusions.

Never, ever be pro-active like Cathay Pacific. Their shares slumped to the lowest level in nine years after it disclosed suspicious activity on its network in March.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ursine1
WN isn't obligated to restore the points -- the terms of the RR program specifically state that they have no responsibility.

Generally, however, they often do. Once they can prove that the member was actually a victim of fraud. Information regarding the investigation is, for obvious reasons, not released to the customer.

Southwest would do well to increase it's account security measures -- many options are available. But since there's a cost involved, and since Southwest ultimately isn't responsible for stolen points, there's no strong motivation for them to do so.
I am not a programmer, but it seems like 2-factor security (text one’s cell for confirmation of a redemption) would not be too onerous to institute.

Anyone know?
LegalTender, drooley and ursine1 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flyer4512
My wife was detained for about 30 minutes at TPA because we purchased the ticket using her maiden name before we were married and her drivers license had her married name. We purchased the tickets month in advance and forgot about the name change.

She had her passport buried in her carry on that showed he maiden name or I'm not sure if we would have made our flight

So you are saying we have no idea who is boarding planes and if I ever can't make a flight I can just sell my ticket to someone else as the name on the ticket doesn't matter..................
No, that's not what I said. I said that the person who flew may not have had their name on the ticket. Next time you fly, think about what would happen if you and some other random guy standing next to you swapped boarding passes right before you boarded. Then extrapolate that thought out a little further, and a little further, etc, and you can see the possibilities.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by flyer4512
.... Whoever had the stolen ticket in their name can still be tracked if the Airline wanted to do so....k
sorry, not trying to mean or ugly, but you are making a great deal of assumptions here. And of course I am as well.

You are making a big assumption that the name on the ticket is the REAL name. Or, it could be a real name, but the person buying it had no idea it was gained through some unknown or bad process.

The naiveity and lack of logic that some folks are putting forth here is astounding.

Not everyone has a real ID.
People can go through security with a valid ID, but take a different flight.
Lots of people can easily get through security even without a boarding pass.
Not everyone that goes through security is really going on the flight they pretend to be on.
No everyone plays by the rules.
The rules are easily circumvented.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

I am not a programmer, but it seems like 2-factor security (text one’s cell for confirmation of a redemption) would not be too onerous to institute.

Anyone know?
None. But, if you look at the rants on FT from all manner of travelers who are "insulted", "humiliated" and will never fly / stay / rent at X again because they were asked a security question of some kind, you will see that this is a marketing problem for WN.

I have no problem with it and simply recognize that not everyone has a smart phone so there have to be other ways to verify. But, two-factor SMS takes care of most people.

Unfortunately most laws and rules won't permit it, but it would be fine with me if WN and other companies offered a fully non-secure system to people who are willing to accept 100% of the fraud responsibility. If your CC is compromised, no chargeback. Too bad it's not in the cards.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Often1
I have no problem with it and simply recognize that not everyone has a smart phone so there have to be other ways to verify. But, two-factor SMS takes care of most people.
Email takes care of the others. Banks verify you when you sign in from a new device populating a SMS or email one-time code. I've never been challenged on a smart-phone (except on a roaming carrier in Europe). Southwest IT is the rub.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
...not everyone has a smart phone so there have to be other ways to verify. But, two-factor SMS takes care of most people.
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Email takes care of the others.
Or a call to a landline. Or to a friend/associate. Or a Facebook message.

I suppose there are some people for whom it's literally impossible. Cool. At least offer it to the 99.999999% of us who could use it.

Credit card companies sure have no trouble making me verify who I am when I sign on from a different computer/device.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:51 pm

Just a thought the hacker could pay with a Visa Gift Card and use a phony billing address! So it can be hard to trace a good hacker if they know how to block their IP/MAC address!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
If OP kept a CC on file (anybody who still does this with WN or anybody else is a prime candidate for fraud and identity theft)
Eh ... that's not how my AmEx was compromised, and both times (over 8 years) AmEx had a new card out overnight, and refunded all the charges. For such seldom occurrences vs. the number of times I'm using my card at WN (et al.) I'm just not worried about it.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Eh ... that's not how my AmEx was compromised, and both times (over 8 years) AmEx had a new card out overnight, and refunded all the charges. For such seldom occurrences vs. the number of times I'm using my card at WN (et al.) I'm just not worried about it.
Yep... it is rare enough there really is no issue for 95%+ of the customers.

Some folks just like to worry.

i never, ever worry about CC fraud. Neither should others.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I am fine with 2-factor authentication and have voluntarily added it where available to numerous accounts.

My point was simply (and unfortunately, many on FT don't read carefully), that there are frequent rants on FT about "excessive security" for exactly these sorts of situations.

My view on this is simple. If the two-factor is made available and you choose not to use it, you ought to be the loser if you are hacked. That works for merchant vendors such as WN. Banks / card issuers can't do that.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Banks verify you when you sign in from a new device populating a SMS or email one-time code. I've never been challenged on a smart-phone (except on a roaming carrier in Europe). Southwest IT is the rub.
Problem with SMS is now you've given out your cell number to a for profit commercial entity. Only a matter of time before it gets passed around for marketing no matter what the privacy and disclosure statements say. I guess I'm still reeling from the landline abuses of prior years.

So, a free Goggle Voice account gets you the appearance of a cell phone and 2 way texting. That is the only number banks & credit card companies get of mine.

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 16, 2019 at 7:52 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Problem with SMS is now you've given out your cell number to a for profit commercial entity. Only a matter of time before it gets passed around for marketing no matter what the privacy and disclosure statements say. I guess I'm still reeling from the landline abuses of prior years.

So, a free Goggle Voice account gets you the appearance of a cell phone and 2 way texting. That is the only number banks & credit card companies get of mine.
Sound advice.

Of course I'm tele-marketed 3x daily on an account opened in November - and never gave out the number. I'm not hurting for student loan refinancing or breast augmentation.
steved5480 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.