Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

RR account hacked and SW has been unresponsive

RR account hacked and SW has been unresponsive

Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: alaska mvp gold, southwest a-list, SPG platinum
Angry RR account hacked and SW has been unresponsive

I have been A-List for 5 years and my RR account was recently hacked. Someone went in, changed the email (I received no notifications to my email on file) and booked 3 reservations over 2 days, wiping out 184k points. The flights were taken same and next day by random people.... I see the confirms and SW sent me the receipts. I reported to SW last Sunday and have spoken to 3 different people. They just say that the fraud team will look into. They are not giving me assurances that my points will be restored or that they intend to find out who did this and go after. I am happy to engage a lawyer and press charges against the person - it's theft.

The last thread on this was in 2011 and the person had the same thing happen, but the flights were not taken, in my case, the seats were used. Look forward to any guidance.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:48 am

So people have picture IDs with your name on it and recently cleared security at separate portals? That's one messed up scheme.

I suspect you'll get your points back. But more ominous issues remain.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
So people have picture IDs with your name on it and recently cleared security at separate portals? That's one messed up scheme.

I suspect you'll get your points back. But more ominous issues remain.
Uh... it's quite easy to book tickets in other people's names with RR points. I don't think OP has this particular issue to worry about.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Franklin7777
Uh... it's quite easy to book tickets in other people's names with RR points.
I don't consider that a prized asset. The liabilities are boundless.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
First off, I hope SW makes you whole.

At the same time, I find this an interesting situation. Most think SW (or any other airline) should eat the loss and reimburse the points. But, you have to ask - why?

Did SW fail?
Where or how did the thief find a way into the system and book the tickets?
Could the account have been left open somewhere such as a public computer, or logged in via a hacked wifi site?
Was the password easy to crack?
Was it an inside job?
camaross likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:26 am

It's one of the best features of the program. My wife can book tickets in my name. I can book them in her name. We can cancel and get all points refunded. It's a great system.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What do you mean by "recently"?

I would expect WN to investigate and assure itself that you were neither affirmatively involved nor made your account available to anyone. In particular someone will have paid the 9/11 Security Fee and that is hopefully trackable.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Can't you do this in pretty much every frequent flyer program?
Franklin7777, cuthroat and ryw like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:40 am

Let's say OP needed to book a flight for the stolen miles can WN just book OP with no fees? WN could sue the hacker for all fees and damages
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by danielonn
Let's say OP needed to book a flight for the stolen miles and the availability is not guaranteed until ticketes can WN just book OP with no fees or adjust the point redemption to a lower one once moles have been reinstated or book under paid and switch to a Lowe point redemption ? WN could sue the hacker for all fees and damages
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by scfanatic97
The last thread on this was in 2011 and the person had the same thing happen, but the flights were not taken, in my case, the seats were used. Look forward to any guidance.
Actually, there was a discussion about points stolen in Oct. 2018: Points Stolen . ( 'Points Stolen' is a link to the thread )

As I stated in that thread, I don't understand why Southwest is obligated to reinstate the points.In the previous situation the person did get their points back.
winston vickers likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by danielonn
Let's say OP needed to book a flight for the stolen miles can WN just book OP with no fees? WN could sue the hacker for all fees and damages
That is likely a fruitless exercise. Much easier and cheaper for WN to investigate and assure itself that OP is not complicit or negligent and then reinstate the missing points if he is not. While there is some cost to WN, it is not a cash hit to its bottom line and the percentage of points which go unused overall is significant. Thus, restoring them is a fairly standard approach.

Last edited by Often1; Jan 11, 2019 at 12:21 pm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:26 pm

OP, please update us as to the outcome of this hacking. I certainly hope you get the points back.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:02 pm

WN isn't obligated to restore the points -- the terms of the RR program specifically state that they have no responsibility.

Generally, however, they often do. Once they can prove that the member was actually a victim of fraud. Information regarding the investigation is, for obvious reasons, not released to the customer.

Southwest would do well to increase it's account security measures -- many options are available. But since there's a cost involved, and since Southwest ultimately isn't responsible for stolen points, there's no strong motivation for them to do so.
camaross likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Often1
What do you mean by "recently"?

I would expect WN to investigate and assure itself that you were neither affirmatively involved nor made your account available to anyone. In particular someone will have paid the 9/11 Security Fee and that is hopefully trackable.
Good catch. Somebody had to pay the $5.60. There are a few ways to pay this without revealing who you are.

1 - If they logged into the RR account, they can just use the credit card on file. That is what I do with all of our award tickets, and companion.

2 - They could use a legit debit/prepaid credit card that has no name tied to it.

3 - They could use a stolen credit card.

4 - They could use a SW gift card that has no name tied to it - other than other bookings if SW wanted to dig deeper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.