Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

RR account hacked and SW has been unresponsive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RR account hacked and SW has been unresponsive

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Dude- this isn't raising big hairy red flags for you?! I'm sure you've changed your PW, yet somehow and in the space of what, a week they have it again (I'd assume that incorrect PW attempts wouldn't get to where the 2FA would even get invoked).

I think maybe your router, phone or hell, even office may have either a malicious device or malicious code running somewhere. This can't be just chance they've gotten your PW twice now.
I think I read that the hacker DID NOT GET IN.

He has 2FA which generates an email for verification. And of course, since he did not verify it, they did not get in. So, they are still trying via his userid, but unlucky since they were unable to "verify" the login attempt.

But, I would like to know as well.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
What I'm saying is I haven't used a 2FA system that tries the 2nd factor until you've authenticated with the 1st factor- so if he's changed his AMZN PW, since he's getting 2FA requests again that must mean they've managed to get his new password, and that's what he should be worried about.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
What I'm saying is I haven't used a 2FA system that tries the 2nd factor until you've authenticated with the 1st factor- so if he's changed his AMZN PW, since he's getting 2FA requests again that must mean they've managed to get his new password, and that's what he should be worried about.
Holy smokes, initially I thought the same as Mr. NoStressHere BUT I just tried blowing the current PW and 2FA never came, one has to pass the PW first before 2FA apparently.

Its extremely possible I reused the old PW unwittingly in the panic to reset about 20 accounts that weekend but I've changed again to be sure.

And I do need to look for other sources of potential problems, I suspect a remote control program like team viewer could be a issue too. Thanks to you both. ^

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 28, 2019 at 6:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.