Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN FA serves drink, 3min later demands it be thrown away

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN FA serves drink, 3min later demands it be thrown away

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Not all airlines. Avianca offered to transfer a rum and coke from glass to plastic so I could take it with me if not finished at landing. No need to waste good rum.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I love short flights that don't have any beverage service due to turbulence where they apologize and then say they hope to "make it up on the next flight". I've always wonder what they could possibly do to make up for not bringing me 8 oz of diet soda on a 45 min flight. I guess I could always tweet for some points
Lol. That's a specific Southwest talking point that has always made me roll my eyes. "We hope to make it up to you on the next flight." What does that even mean?! The best you can do is get things right next time. How is that "making it up" to me? Isn't that what you're supposed to be doing in the first place? I appreciate the idea, but the faux-folksy, obvious "marketing-approved" language ultimately has the opposite of the (presumed) desired effect. Just like, "we take your concerns to Heart." That means, literally, nothing. Why not go ahead and add a (c) to the end? Worthless words that function only as branding. I suppose this approach must work on some. And it's definitely better than a nonsensical reply in broken Indian English. But it means NOTHING.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Really?

How did they not ‘get it right’ when they didn’t serve you drinks on a turbulent 45 minute flight ? I guess you would rather they said ‘ life often sucks, maybe next time will be better, but probably not ‘
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:00 pm

Are you replying to me? If so, I think maybe you've missed the point.

My complaint wasn't with them "not getting it right." And it wasn't specific to the OPs situation.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by shammers
..."we shouldn't have done drink service." ....really?
I find many times FAs are paying no attention to elapsed flight time or descent, and will misjudge things this way. I was on another airline a few weeks ago where we went into descent with no "prepare for arrival" announcement from up front, no double ding, no nothing, and the FA at my elbow was still puttering around in the aisle until I nudged her gently and pointed out that, judging from the terrain out the window, we were about 30 seconds from the runway. She was some surprised and bolted for herv jumpseat.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Not all airlines. Avianca offered to transfer a rum and coke from glass to plastic so I could take it with me if not finished at landing. No need to waste good rum.
Going back 30+ years, Aeroflot didn't even make you stow your tray table and stop drinking vodka during landing.

Y'know, just in case a modern U.S. airline wants to derive safety best practices from '80's-era Aeroflot.
EAJuggalo likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:46 am

There must have been a memo from the "Management Team" pon my last flight Monday evening the FA made an elaborate announcement about picking up service items and that every single thing must be picked up. Don't remember every hearing that before. But maybe she has been hanging out here recently.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:31 pm

I was on a Phx to Las flight a few years ago when they announced they were ending drink service early and needed to collect all drinks. I was mad at first until the plane hit a storm and people in front of me were wearing their drinks.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I love short flights that don't have any beverage service due to turbulence where they apologize and then say they hope to "make it up on the next flight". I've always wonder what they could possibly do to make up for not bringing me 8 oz of diet soda on a 45 min flight. I guess I could always tweet for some points
I had it where flying from DEN to ABQ, they did not have drink service and said they would make it up on the next flight. Then, on my next flight from ABQ to DEN, they did not have drink service either. It did not bother me, but it amused me that what they said was technically wrong.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:42 am

This happened to me on Monday. on a short flight MSY-ATL. I take this flight often and while sometimes there is no service due to bad weather. Most of the time service is fine. In this case weather was fine and the Captain even turned the seat belt sign off earlier than usual. For some reason my FA (row 8) didn't start Cabin Service until halfway thorough the flight. By the time she got to me and handed me my drink she immediately went to the front of the cabin and made the announcement about picking up all service items.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
This is just one more reason why I always bring a water bottle on the flight with me. Well, mostly it's because I'm too cheap to pay airport prices for a bottle of Deer Park, so I use a Brita bottle with a filter in it and just keep it available during the flight, but also because I hate those little disposable cups. When I'm not drinking from my bottle, I can close it up to prevent spillage, and put it in a bottle carrier that I hang from the tray table. I can also get to it any time, whether there is beverage service going on or not.

Originally Posted by guflyer
I had it where flying from DEN to ABQ, they did not have drink service and said they would make it up on the next flight. Then, on my next flight from ABQ to DEN, they did not have drink service either. It did not bother me, but it amused me that what they said was technically wrong.
Well, that's why they say they "hope" to make it up on the next flight, not that they "will" make it up. So technically, they were not wrong - they hoped it would happen, but it didn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.