Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN FA serves drink, 3min later demands it be thrown away

Old Jan 7, 19, 9:53 am
Original Poster

To pre-empt; I'm not at all out 'upset' by this incident, but posting this as an inquiry on WN policy.

Wife and I took a short (<1hr) flight from IND to MDW. FA gave wife a water. Wife mixes in some Emergen-C and takes a swig, gets a quarter of it down and then interrupted. FA storms through the aisle (obviously in a hurry that drink service was delayed due to weather, and landing was minutes away) asking everyone who was given a drink to throw it away in her trash bag. "You have to throw that away right now." Followed by "we shouldn't have done drink service."

....really? We HAVE to throw away plastic cups into your trash bag? I get that she made the mistake of mistiming service - but has it ever been WN's policy that cups handed out in flight be thrown away before landing?
Old Jan 7, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by shammers View Post
[...] but has it ever been WN's policy that cups handed out in flight be thrown away before landing?
Yes.

Same policy at Alaska, Delta, AA, United etc.
shammers, kennycrudup, ryw and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 19, 9:57 am

We HAVE to throw away plastic cups into your trash bag? I get that she made the mistake of mistiming service - but has it ever been WN's policy that cups handed out in flight be thrown away before landing?
Most airlines require "service items" be collected and bagged before landing. Probably as a way to speed turnaround. Dozens of plastic cups littering the aisle could also be a safety issue - but I have no basis for that.
shammers likes this.
Old Jan 7, 19, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
Yes.

Same policy at Alaska, Delta, AA, United etc.
Then this was all unfortunate coincidence with a pushy FA, nothing more. No love lost. Perhaps because I'm a window-seat occupant, I often have my drink overlooked when it came to collection and have thrown it away myself. The more you know!
Old Jan 7, 19, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Collecting all service items before landing is an essential element of a carrier's safety & security policy.

Failure to adhere to it may result in substantial fines for both WN and the FA.

It is also simple common sense.
Old Jan 7, 19, 10:27 am
Original Poster

^cool cool

Last edited by shammers; Jan 7, 19 at 10:32 am
Old Jan 7, 19, 11:44 am

14 CFR 121.577

121.577 Stowage of food, beverage, and passenger service equipment during airplane movement on the surface, takeoff, and landing.

(a) No certificate holder may move an airplane on the surface, take off, or land when any food, beverage, or tableware furnished by the certificate holder is located at any passenger seat.

funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 19, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by fiuchris View Post
14 CFR 121.577

121.577 Stowage of food, beverage, and passenger service equipment during airplane movement on the surface, takeoff, and landing.

(a) No certificate holder may move an airplane on the surface, take off, or land when any food, beverage, or tableware furnished by the certificate holder is located at any passenger seat.

so the pineapple juice I took from my jetBlue flight last night and drank this morning is in violation of federal law...

great
Old Jan 7, 19, 1:08 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by jco613 View Post
so the pineapple juice I took from my jetBlue flight last night and drank this morning is in violation of federal law...

great

No...re-read the law...that was not provided to you by the certificate holder of that flight.

Had you opened it on original flight and unable to stow it in baggage, then yes it would have been.
Old Jan 7, 19, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by jco613 View Post

great
Did you stow it in your personal item or luggage before landing?
Old Jan 7, 19, 2:30 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Glad to see the OP has come back and said COOL.

Yes, other airlines do it as well. Actually, the mainstream airlines more often than not would have just skipped service all together, and eliminated the issue. As a former Plat level on Delta for many years, I am still amazed that on every single SW flight they still serve vs the hit and miss with DL on short flights.

Meanwhile... While placing the traveling public in extreme danger, I have been known to hold onto a drink glass when them came down the aisle (rare occassion). I apologize to those I place in danger.
kennycrudup, steved5480 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 7, 19, 4:14 pm

14 CFR 121.577

I don't fly that frequently but I've seen this rule "violated" by United in first class many times. I know its the policy/law but I think that FA went completely overboard. He/she probably could have just told OP's wife to make sure it was finished by the time they start landing. I understand the rule though and it its common sense up to a point, and that point is when there is ridiculous enforcement as if we are on a space shuttle. I always assumed they came by with the trash bags multiple times so that the cleaning crew could move through the plane quicker. I agree though, in the bigger scheme of things it sounds like the FA was just having a bad day.
Old Jan 7, 19, 4:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I love short flights that don't have any beverage service due to turbulence where they apologize and then say they hope to "make it up on the next flight". I've always wonder what they could possibly do to make up for not bringing me 8 oz of diet soda on a 45 min flight. I guess I could always tweet for some points
Old Jan 7, 19, 4:45 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Wife and I took a short (<1hr) flight
That is significantly less than 1 hr. I believe that in-air time is in the range of 35 minutes.
Old Jan 7, 19, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
14 CFR 121.577

Bottles of water, a beverage furnished by the certificate holder routinely in F and J on flights, are routinely located at passenger seats for landing.
pinniped likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: