Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii ETOPS approved by FAA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by waddy
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/...awaii-flights/

Vegas has to be at the edge of the 737Max range i assume
I would *love* this! The only nonstop is Hawaiian and their fares during school breaks can be $900 round trip.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I seem to remember that Denver was the just inside the max range. If i can find the thread, I'll post it.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:56 am

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/...awaii-flights/

"Considering." "Possible." "Hopes."

While serving Hawaii from LAS would seem to be a no-brainer, I suspect, should it happen, it's at least two years away.

Lots of trial balloons up right now.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by roundtree
I seem to remember that Denver was the just inside the max range. If i can find the thread, I'll post it.
From WN going to Hawaii

Originally Posted by aaronp84
The Max range is 3,850 nm, this opens up routes such as Denver to Honolulu which is 3,365 nm (purely based on math and ignoring weather).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
It is ridiculous to talk about range without factoring in jet stream on long haul flights.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
It's on the flight now.

https://www.flightradar24.com/SWA8725/1f801de4

Same as flight#8725. It's on the way to HNL now.
chicago_flyer and roundtree like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:11 pm

Southwest is going to get this. It's hard to find any ETOPS certification ever being denied.

Of course engine failures have to be independent and contained. Otherwise, people swim. There's no proving run through volcanic ash.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
We’d all love to share the LIV!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by chuckworth
If true, it will be quite an interesting day for a proving flight tomorrow. Forecast calls for a 200-knot + subtropical jet stream coming out of Hawaii direct towards the Bay Area. This is quite extreme even for the southern jet stream. Headwind city going all the way to the islands while there should be some rather quick flights coming back to the mainland.
Bay Area-Hawaii is the shortest distance between the mainland and the islands. Flight time doesn't look out of the ordinary though.

Originally Posted by lougord99
It is ridiculous to talk about range without factoring in jet stream on long haul flights.
Plus engine out climb performance, terrain requirements, heat and density altitude in the summer and so on.

Originally Posted by LegalTender
There's no proving run through volcanic ash.
It's been tried. It's bad for the windows.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
It's on the flight now.

https://www.flightradar24.com/SWA8725/1f801de4

Same as flight#8725. It's on the way to HNL now.
TPG is estimating a few more days of validation flights. WN confirmed to them that the tabletop exercises are complete. Only the validation flights remain. Possibly by end of next week, things may go live!

https://thepointsguy.com/news/southw...awaii-flights/
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Today’s validation flight....ITO. Just landed.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
Today’s validation flight....ITO. Just landed.
Today's was a diversion exercise.

Taking a look at the track log, they spent quite a while down at 10,000 feet. Although I'd LUV to see service to Hilo.
steved5480 and roundtree like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
simulated a decompression or failure requiring 10k altitude shortly after equal time point. my guess is FAA was likely looking for pilots to calculate extra fuel burn and declare diversion to the correct alternate. hardly a surprise.

spent 3hrs on the ground in ITO. perhaps left the plane with the valet and had a nice lunch somewhere on the island?

Maintenance did a bang up job--the "wounded bird" had no trouble reaching 30k feet from ITO-HNL.

first WN Hawaii intra-island flight:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA8725/history/20190217/0439Z/PHTO/PHNL
tusphotog and steved5480 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
According to Yahoo Finance posted today:

"Southwest Airlines completed the tabletop exercises a few days ago, according to USA Today. This move allowed it to advance to the next stage of validation flights, which will test the full range of ETOPS procedures. The first of those flights occurred on Feb. 14. The carrier plans to operate a single validation flight every day until it receives the final sign-off from the FAA.

Once it has FAA approval in hand, it will take Southwest only a day or two to load its schedules for Hawaii service and begin ticket sales. Barring any unanticipated disruptions, that should happen before the end of February.

What can travelers expect?

Typically, airlines don't begin service on new routes until several months after they announce the route and begin ticket sales. However, Southwest is targeting a faster timetable for ramping up its Hawaii flights, mainly because there is a huge amount of pent-up demand for this service.

The main constraint is completing the additional training that pilots need to operate ETOPS flights. Management seemed to indicate on Southwest's fourth-quarter earnings call that it would take as much as six months to get a full complement of pilots trained. That said, the carrier could begin operating a few flights using management pilots several weeks after receiving ETOPS authorization and then expand its flight schedule significantly as soon as April. Doing so would allow Southwest Airlines to benefit from the typical surge in passenger volumes around Easter.

Given that Southwest's initial validation flights have operated between Oakland and Honolulu, it seems like a good bet that Oakland-Honolulu will be the first Hawaii route to be launched. (Oakland is also home to the only Southwest Airlines crew base in California.) Next, the carrier will probably branch out with flights from Oakland to its other Hawaiian destinations -- Kahului, Kona, and Lihue. And by the summer, Southwest will probably begin at least limited service to Hawaii from the three California gateway cities it has announced -- Sacramento, San Diego, and San Jose.

Southwest Airlines hasn't given any hints about pricing yet. However, with the carrier looking to gain share rapidly in what is already a competitive market, vacationers will probably be able to find some incredibly cheap fares for travel to Hawaii later this year."
ursine1 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue
According to Yahoo Finance posted today:

Southwest Airlines hasn't given any hints about pricing yet. However, with the carrier looking to gain share rapidly in what is already a competitive market, vacationers will probably be able to find some incredibly cheap fares for travel to Hawaii later this year."
Or...

Southwest is smart enough to realize that pent-up demand from their own customers will drive sales regardless of fare.

Points. Companion Pass.

I expect that there will be a few discounted fares available, which will give them a low price point that they can advertise. But that bucket will be extremely limited, and many, many more passengers will actually pay quite a bit more.

It will be very interesting to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.