Wiki Posts
Search

No more SW for me...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6, LLO Titanium
No more SW for me...

Friends don't let friends fly SouthWest. Ok, old stuff, but I have only flown SW a couple times. After purchasing Early-Bird have a "B" boarding position. No thanks, ever again. I will get a paid seat on all my flights elsewhere. Yes, I understand that no one cares except me and I will not be missed... As if my $750.00 r/t PIT to FLL is not enough.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:16 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Mosaic
Friends don't let friends fly SouthWest. Ok, old stuff, but I have only flown SW a couple times. After purchasing Early-Bird have a "B" boarding position. No thanks, ever again. I will get a paid seat on all my flights elsewhere. Yes, I understand that no one cares except me and I will not be missed... As if my $750.00 r/t PIT to FLL is not enough.
This depends on the number of business travelers on your flight. This week I drew A41 as A-list Preferred. On that flight it's certain that some A-listers drew a B, along with every EBCI customer.

That said, a low B boarding pass is just fine for getting an aisle seat aft of the exit row, which is where the most space is anyway.

Unless I anticipate inability to check in at T-24 I never buy EBCI for family members whose trips I book. A mid-B boarding pass is good enough.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:39 am

Well first of all, I'm glad you will never fly Air Nambia (IATA SW) again. i wouldn't fly them either!

Southwest expressly states that EBCI is not a guaranteed "A" position, just that it checks you in 36 hours in advance. I check in at T-24 and constantly get low B and sometimes high B. Around this time of year, I get A a lot because many once a year customers check in at the airport.

I think you could give me a list of 100 reasons you wouldn't fly Southwest again, and while I could argue most of them with you, this would not be a good reason. First world problems at its finest here.
BearX220 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Friends don't let friends fly SouthWest. Ok, old stuff, but I have only flown SW a couple times. After purchasing Early-Bird have a "B" boarding position. No thanks, ever again.
So? Don't complain. You were ahead of each and every passenger who checked in at T-24.

Buying EBCI doesn't magically put you close to the front of the line. If you bought your tickets (and/or EBCI) very close to your flight date, lots of people who bought theirs before you did already were ahead of you. Some flights seem to get more EBCI purchases than others. Like I said in the other thread, Florida flights are a perfect example of that. Florida. FLORIDA. LOTS of people buying their tickets many months in advance, and lots of leisure or infrequent travellers worried about boarding issues and thus buying EBCI. I used MCO as the example in the other thread, but FLL is probably just the same. It happens, get over it.
nancypants and roundtree like this.

Last edited by Peoriaman1; Dec 12, 2018 at 7:50 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond
It gets annoying to pay for EBCI and then get stuck in the B group. I would be annoyed.

Jet Blue and WN offer non stops from my airport to FLL. If WN fare + EBCI is cheaper than Jet Blue + Luggage, I will do it.

If DL has a 2 hour layover in ATL, there better be a huge savings over non stop. Its all part of the game.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
It gets annoying to pay for EBCI and then get stuck in the B group. I would be annoyed.
I would be too but only briefly because its still better than anyone who did T-24 on that flight. Maybe his was a 5:30AM flight which had a higher-than-normal number of EBCIs due to the early hour? The OP didn't say where he was in the B group.... B-1 vs. B-59 is a big difference.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
So? Don't complain. You were ahead of each and every passenger who checked in at T-24.
Maybe, maybe not. If only there were some way to document that. Or post the position before purchase. Or caution people that cancellations by passengers holding A boarding positions go to the next available boarding positions. Status and check-in order are unappealable.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I would be too but only briefly because its still better than anyone who did T-24 on that flight. Maybe his was a 5:30AM flight which had a higher-than-normal number of EBCIs due to the early hour? The OP didn't say where he was in the B group.... B-1 vs. B-59 is a big difference.
It all ties into the value proposition. I like flying WN, but if I can get a confirmed seat on another carrier for the same price and the same non stop, I will do that. I see the EBCI uncertainty as a negative with WN, especially with them raising the price of the EBCI but lowering the expectations of it working. I can normally travel with a carryon, so free checked bag isnt usually enough to offset the EBCI prices, especially now that they have gone up and have become less useful.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am no fan of WN and avoid it whenever possible. But, OP has no beef. The terms are clear and in plain English. Bottom line is that if you want what amounts to seat selection, don't fly WN.
TSparky likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I guess I need to go to the AA forum and give my list of complaints that have driven me to move exclusively.

Honestly, I'm glad the OP figured out what he wants. I'm truly grateful that airlines aren't just exactly clones of each other, so there's actual, real consumer choices.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:36 am

Just to be clear -- since you repeated it twice, and may not be aware: OP may not actually be "better than anyone who did T-24."

Southwest re-issues the boarding positions of passengers who are checked in but then change or cancel their flight. This allows the next random person who did not pay the extra fee to snag that position. They are often low A positions and this happens not-infrequently.

(And, yes -- the OP has no beef here. They need to read the terms of the product they are buying.)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
A few weeks ago I got an A-45 without status/EBCI - and it was enough to score an exit row aisle. It's the variability of EBCI positions that drives people familiar with seat assignments crazy.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
What seat did you get? I bet you got your preference of aisle or window, right?

I have checked in as low as C22 and I STILL got my preferred aisle. Toward the back, but still.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
All the seats are economy! Is having to sit a couple rows further back a big deal?
mapleg likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's the variability of EBCI positions that drives people familiar with seat assignments crazy.
You're told it is assigned, but it isn't accessible until the 24-hour mark.

Why is that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.