Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more SW for me...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
No access to your "reserved" boarding assignment implies it is theoretical. It can be re-assigned.

You're not "checked in" at all. It's as equivocal as "Deluxe Room" and "High-speed internet" in the travel brochure.
But, if you purchase EBCI, you are checked in at t-36 and your boarding position is held for you. If you do not purchase EBCI and check in when you arrive at the airport, your boarding position would be reflective of whatever is available at that time.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Why should a boarding position "reserved for you" change? Unpublished factors should no longer cause a chain reaction.

EBCI is an ante. The pot size isn't known. You're theoretically assigned a number, but still have to check-in to claim it. The terminology is as clear as dishwater. You're either "checked-in" or not.
Are you asking before t-36 or after? After, I agree, it shouldn't change (although I don't understand how waiting 12 hours makes it a big deal, but whatever). Before t-36 it could change for any number of reasons. Someone who also bought EBCI cancels their ticket. Every A-lister that buys a ticket bumps back the EBCI line too.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by msglsmo

Can’t speak to AS, but that isn’t the case on UA.
Cledaybuck is referring to Basic Economy fares, offered by AA, DL, UA and now AS, which discount the regular coach fare on select flights, eliminating some benefits like pre-assigned seats, early boarding, etc.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:26 pm

No access to your "reserved" boarding assignment implies it is theoretical. It can be re-assigned.

You're not "checked in" at all. It's as equivocal as "Deluxe Room" and "High-speed internet" in the travel brochure.
it is locked in at 36 hours. It doesn’t change unless you change flight. The airline can see your position at this time, but you cannot access it. Nothing shady going on there.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by PlaneJane1

it is locked in at 36 hours. It doesn’t change unless you change flight. The airline can see your position at this time, but you cannot access it. Nothing shady going on there.
I doubt much of anything locks in at T-36. Certainly not a full-stop of "bumping back the line for any number of reasons." Until BP number issues, churns happen. The time out is a leap of faith.

Imagine checking in 4-5 hours apart on a pair of concurrent EBCI bookings in the same fare class. See if the numbers are even close. Nothing 'bulletproof' happens at T-36.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by diver858
Cledaybuck is referring to Basic Economy fares, offered by AA, DL, UA and now AS, which discount the regular coach fare on select flights, eliminating some benefits like pre-assigned seats, early boarding, etc.
No I am not. This was a regular economy fare. I am having a hard time finding a "free" seat selection ahead of the wing on any airline with a regular economy fare as a non elite (mainline planes). All seats are either economy plus or "preferred".

P.S. Basic economy isn't a discount on anything.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, HH Diamond, Delta Gold, UsAir Gold, IHG Plat
Agreed - Before I got to A List, I would occasionally buy it when I had a really tight connection, to help ensure that I could sit closer to the front of the plane and still put my carry-on directly above me.

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I do not think it is a scam, but I do agree WN is making some good money doing it. It really does work for folks that would be a C and now get an A or B with no worry.

And, I agree way more people buy that they need to, but it makes them feel good.

As to people that save seats - there are already 4,289 threads about that. Result: there is no result - LOL)

Back to the scam thing - maybe the person buying only one early board and saving seats is the scamster - again - LOL.. If they paid for 3 EBCI, the result to other passengers would be the same (3 seats taken) and SW would have more money. Who is the scammer now? LOL LOL LOL Please don't beat on this seat saving dead horse anymore...LOL LOL
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
No I am not. This was a regular economy fare. I am having a hard time finding a "free" seat selection ahead of the wing on any airline with a regular economy fare as a non elite (mainline planes). All seats are either economy plus or "preferred".

P.S. Basic economy isn't a discount on anything.
My apologies. Did you try calling to ask if they would seat you in one of the preferred seats?
1. I know plenty of people who choose not to reserve a seat in the back of the bus at time of booking, end up sitting in a preferred or economy plus seat at check-in.
2. When traveling alone, in a preferred seat, I have been asked by a gate agent to move (often an upgrade) to accommodate a party of 2 or more who either not issues seats at booking, missed a connection, etc.
3. When traveling alone, without status, my wife asks the agent nicely, typically is comped an economy plus seat (AA, AS).
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:32 pm

I think a large part of this story is a case of, "well what do you expect?" (Inexperienced) travellers always want to have it both ways, they want to have the cheapest fare and expect everything to be included. Alternatively, they don't know what they're getting into when dealing with an airline. It has been known for decades that WN is a no-frills airline, they don't do things like seat assignments or offer free meals on domestic flights like the legacies do in F. My general rule when looking for fares is, what do I know about the airline I'm about to book. If I'm flying Norwegian, I know that I'm literally paying for the right to be on an airplane taking me to point B, everything else is extra! Similarly, if I'm flying UA I expect to have lounge access, priority services, etc due to my status. Sometimes I'm willing to forgo all of that if the fare is cheap enough but in my mind and my heart I've accepted that I'll lose these things.

Safe Travels,

James
lowmiles likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I doubt much of anything locks in at T-36. Certainly not a full-stop of "bumping back the line for any number of reasons." Until BP number issues, churns happen. The time out is a leap of faith.
Really?.

What other deep state conspiracies do you believe in?
joshua362, smmrfld and ursine1 like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
Really?.
What other deep state conspiracies do you believe in?
So much of being an adult is just not clicking the "Send" button.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:57 pm

Imagine checking in 4-5 hours apart on a pair of concurrent EBCI bookings in the same fare class. See if the numbers are even close. Nothing 'bulletproof' happens at T-36.

There's no evidence to support any of this.

I have, in fact, traveled with a companion on different confirmations (fares/EBCI purchased at the same time) and with check-ins done separately hours apart, and we received consecutive boarding positions.
smmrfld likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:39 pm

Do you just make this stuff up? If so (which is likely), you would be well-served by refraining, as it provides misinformation to those who seek accuracy from this forum.
lougord99, ursine1 and PlaneJane1 like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
I have, in fact, traveled with a companion on different confirmations (fares/EBCI purchased at the same time) and with check-ins done separately hours apart, and we received consecutive boarding positions.
Fair enough. T-36 is systemwide intermission. Boarding positions get locked away for 12 hours.

Do you still believe this is true?:

Originally Posted by ursine1
Actually, unlike t-24 checkin, there is no benefit with EBCI on a connecting flight. All of the EBCI passengers are grouped and ranked based on EBCI purchase order at the same time for each individual flight.
Is this disclosed somewhere officially?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:10 pm

It is not disclosed anywhere officially, but reps have verified on other forums that it is so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.