Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more SW for me...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
... and as another datapoint, I'd never been in a middle WN seat until they'd rolled out free standby for elites, where sometimes I'd be the Nth or -1 or -2 person on the plane. Turns out that even with my height and shoulder width that for the 90 mins gate-to-gate time it wasn't the end of the world after all (I hated having to put my backpack under the seat more, something else I'd never had to do before either).

(And certainly better than the 11 hrs in "P"E SFO-NRT on a UA Screamliner a few years ago- that was the singularly most uncomfortable flight I've ever had the displeasure of flying. God Bless the 787 battery fires, they were swapped out for 757s on the way home!)
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
In other words, infrequent travelers can do almost as well, and have nearly the same experience, as a 100+ segment WN elite. Try achieving that on United!
Not much of a closing argument. The +1 experience of more legroom, free drinks, early boarding, dedicated bin space and seat power is not "nearly the same" as Business Select and it's a free upgrade for 100+ segment UA/AA/DL elites.

I don't mind WN if I'm saving the boss money. Marking time for 173 souls to shuffle off builds character.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Southwest has tons of lounges United Club, Admirals Lounge, Delta Skyclub, Centurion lounge, etc. All you need is a half decent travel credit card.
You can't fly WN and access AA, UA or DL lounges starting in 2019.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Not much of a closing argument. The +1 experience of more legroom, free drinks, early boarding, dedicated bin space and seat power is not "nearly the same" as Business Select and it's a free upgrade for 100+ segment UA/AA/DL elites.

I don't mind WN if I'm saving the boss money. Marking time for 173 souls to shuffle off builds character.
I don't think we're on the same wavelength. My intent was to point out that non-status WN pax can do nearly as well as WN elite, just by checking in at T-24. Most of the aisle and window seats are essentially the same, and there is no premium economy or first to be had. On the legacies, the gap between what an elite and what a non-status pax will experience is MUCH wider, as you alluded to above.

Based on this, I would expect most non-status WN pax to be happy with their outcome, as long as they check in on time, but it seems that we mostly see complaining and a misplaced desire for WN to act more like the legacies.
trouble747 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:48 pm
Suspended

My intent was to point out that non-status WN pax can do nearly as well as WN elite, just by checking in at T-24. Most of the aisle and window seats are essentially the same, and there is no premium economy or first to be had. On the legacies, the gap between what an elite and what a non-status pax will experience is MUCH wider, as you alluded to above.

Based on this, I would expect most non-status WN pax to be happy with their outcome, as long as they check in on time, but it seems that we mostly see complaining and a misplaced desire for WN to act more like the legacies.
Think of that from the Elite's point of view...so much investment and they really get little more than the non-elite. Why bother? Where is the incentive? Why pour my money and time into chasing WN status when all I will get out of it is is a marginally better shot at a non-middle coach seat?
joshua362 and McGowan06 like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by roundtree
I guess I need to go to the AA forum and give my list of complaints that have driven me to move exclusively.
Good point. I dislike AA and DL and won't fly them unless the cost difference is compelling. I should drop by those forums periodically to let people know why I dislike the airlines they like.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
It's actually worse than that. You're paying to wait in line in the hopes you'll snag a good seat. Show up late to the gate and EBCI is useless. Show up early and catch gate lice. That's why I never pay for seats or early boarding even on FR!

Safe Travels,

James

Do you actually understand the meaning of the term "gate lice?"
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ursine1
(Ironically enough, WN has some too; people who- despite having a pre-defined place to stand once boarding actually begins- line up before time, sometimes even before the flight is at the gate. I'll never understand it, and figure some people just like lines and/or standing around.)
ursine1 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Think of that from the Elite's point of view...so much investment and they really get little more than the non-elite. Why bother? Where is the incentive? Why pour my money and time into chasing WN status when all I will get out of it is is a marginally better shot at a non-middle coach seat?
Companion pass is a pretty nice perk if you fly a lot. How elite do you have to be these days to score upgrades on the US3?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
I always am amazed that someone spouts, they’ll never fly XX airline again, and we all just keep the thread going after they have walked away

I fly WN a lot and enjoy it. Some other airlines not so much but I don’t go to their forum and piss and moan about never flying that airline again!

why do people help us waste our own time?
joshua362 and lougord99 like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by SJWarrior
I always am amazed that someone spouts, they’ll never fly XX airline again, and we all just keep the thread going after they have walked away ...
"NEVER, EVER FLYING WITH THEM AGAIN..."

So true.

Every single airline has posts like that.
And every single hotel chain.
And restaurant
and bank
and...

And we ALL know, they will go there again.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:14 pm

I don't think we're on the same wavelength. My intent was to point out that non-status WN pax can do nearly as well as WN elite, just by checking in at T-24. Most of the aisle and window seats are essentially the same, and there is no premium economy or first to be had. On the legacies, the gap between what an elite and what a non-status pax will experience is MUCH wider, as you alluded to above.

Yes and no. On the one hand passengers on the legacies can purchase the "add-ons" to give them the benefits of the elite (i.e. priority boarding, E+ seating at purchase, etc.). On the other hand, the legacies are clever enough to realize that for things other than upgrades (i.e. ToDs), its best to charge top dollar for the advanced seating, priority boarding, etc. In essence a kettle has to spend $100+ match the benefits of an elite. However, with WN we're talking about $10-$20 which makes it affordable for most travellers. The other highly under-rated benefit of getting elite status on the legacies is your benefits apply across the alliance (i.e. *A for UA), which is something WN can't offer. That's to say nothing of the hotel and rental car status matches you get from acquiring airline status (i.e. SPMarriott Gold).

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
WN has an answer to that with the companion pass. In addition, the tiers aren't as steep with WN as they are with the legacies with credit card bonuses often allowing you to earn companion pass with little to no flying on WN. This benefit makes a lot of sense if you travel with a partner often but as you said, outside that the benefits aren't as sharp as say a UA Gold.

Originally Posted by ursine1
I do understand the term Gate Lice, which has been scientifically proven to increase the spread of infectious diseases!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
(Ironically enough, WN has some too; people who- despite having a pre-defined place to stand once boarding actually begins- line up before time, sometimes even before the flight is at the gate. I'll never understand it, and figure some people just like lines and/or standing around.)

Sometimes I think they have a subconscious memory of the old days with the plastic boarding passes, when really low boarding positions were available to those who showed up at the gate four hours early and maintained their positions in the line of their own creation. I'm glad those days are over!
trouble747 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Sometimes I think they have a subconscious memory of the old days with the plastic boarding passes, when really low boarding positions were available to those who showed up at the gate four hours early and maintained their positions in the line of their own creation. I'm glad those days are over!
I used to not understand why anyone would sit hours or even days outside the Apple store waiting for the latest iPhone. Then I go to the airport and see people waiting minutes even half an hour prior to boarding just to secure their **precious** seat and overhead bin space they'll use for an hour! Those Apple people are starting to make a whole lot more sense to me than the gate lice - at least what they're doing has a semblance of something worthy of waiting for!

Meanwhile everyone in Asia stays seated until they're called up... and for some strange reason they can board a 777 in 15 minutes whereas it takes that long to board a ERJ up in the Americas! Zoned boarding hasn't solved the problem, if anything it's made the problem worse... instead of 1 long unmanageable line you've got several longish unmanageable lines with people fighting for zones (i.e. "I should board first since I have Global Entry!")

That's why my boarding motto is... I'll board when the lounge dragon drags me to the gate!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
I would be more ticked having to pay $750 rt!
birdiedouble likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.