Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

CNN reporting SW plane skids off BUR runway upon landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CNN reporting SW plane skids off BUR runway upon landing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
not quite that high. more like 130-155 knots depending on weight, with full flaps.

Originally Posted by lougord99
When you were a pilot, if you landed on a runway where you were not legal, would you still be a pilot?
that is the question of the day. if the landing data said they were legal, and they were on speed and touched down in the zone, then they should not be in any trouble.

If not, then they will likely face discipline.

It is possible they computed landing data and were legal, but conditions deteriorated prior to touchdown. Landing in heavy rain with a tailwind on a short runway comes with significant risks.

Last edited by nachosdelux; Dec 11, 2018 at 7:44 am
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:07 am

If there was a 10 knot tail wind, I don't understand why they didn't land in the opposite direction.
There is no instrument approach procedure for runway 26 due to terrain. Not that visual conditions would have made a difference, since if I recall correctly aircraft weighing more than 12,500 lbs can land using 26. I know takeoffs on runway 8 for aircraft larger than 12,500 are verbotten..
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
There is no instrument approach procedure for runway 26 due to terrain. Not that visual conditions would have made a difference, since if I recall correctly aircraft weighing more than 12,500 lbs can land using 26. I know takeoffs on runway 8 for aircraft larger than 12,500 are verbotten..
I don't see anything about 26 being weight restricted for landings in the BUR remarks.

A110-34: RWY 26 CLSD TO TKOF/JEF ACTS WITH FOUR OR MORE ENGS
A110-9: RY 08 CLSD TKOF MULTI ENG 12,500 LBS OR GREATER
A57-26: RWY 26 APCH RATIO 11:1 TO THR

Weather mins for the visual approach to RWY 15 is 5,500 ceiling and 5 miles visibility.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:35 pm

First person account from a passenger (for what it's worth):

Smith: Santa Rosa frequent flyer sensed the Southwest pilot in Burbank was landing ‘a bit too hot’

Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
I don't see anything about 26 being weight restricted for landings in the BUR remarks.

A110-34: RWY 26 CLSD TO TKOF/JEF ACTS WITH FOUR OR MORE ENGS
A110-9: RY 08 CLSD TKOF MULTI ENG 12,500 LBS OR GREATER
A57-26: RWY 26 APCH RATIO 11:1 TO THR

Weather mins for the visual approach to RWY 15 is 5,500 ceiling and 5 miles visibility.
The 12,500 restriction on 26 must have changed in the 2.5 years since I retired.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
Free flight to anywhere and he is choosing Nashville?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti

Free flight to anywhere and he is choosing Nashville?
Better than Midland.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nachosdelux

that is the question of the day. if the landing data said they were legal, and they were on speed and touched down in the zone, then they should not be in any trouble.
not just those ?s but FDR will show other data. I may be messing up the terminology but essentially it should show if speedbrakes were properly armed/autodeployed/ or manually deployed and when (how far down the runway / how many seconds after wheels down).
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by expert7700
not just those ?s but FDR will show other data. I may be messing up the terminology but essentially it should show if speedbrakes were properly armed/autodeployed/ or manually deployed and when (how far down the runway / how many seconds after wheels down).
How about when reverse thrusters were deployed ( the problem at the MDW overrun that killed a boy on the street ) .

Edit: are speedbrakes the reverse thrusters ? ( showing my ignorance of terminology also )
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:51 am

Edit: are speedbrakes the reverse thrusters ? )
speedbrakes are panels on the top surface of the wing that raise to kill lift, They can be "armed" to raise automatically at main wheel touchdown (the normal process).
If they fail to deploy automatically, or the pilots forget to arm them (as part of the landing checklist), they can be raised manually. Raising them manually results in longer landing distance because human reaction time is slower than the automatic system.

Thrust reversers are always done manually, no earlier than main gear touchdown. Pilots lift levers attached to the throttles/thrust levers, and pull them upward and rearward. This causes a mechanical re-direction of the engine thrust to a forward direction, which slows the aircraft. Reverse thrust is especially helpful slowing an aircraft with a contaminated runway (wet, snow, slush, etc) The reversers are usually stowed (or placed in idle reverse) by about 60 knots or so to prevent engine compressor stall.

Last edited by nachosdelux; Dec 13, 2018 at 10:45 am
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
This causes a mechanical re-direction of the engine thrust to a rearward direction, which slows the aircraft.
Thank you. You mean forward direction.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:25 am

Thank you. You mean forward direction.

yes, thanks for that. I hadn't had my first cup of coffee when I posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.