Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More WN testing of front and rear boarding

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
But AA doesn't have open seating like WN. You know someone is going to flip out about "their" (economy, all seat are economy despite what you might think from reading some of the seat stuff on this site) seat being taken by someone behind them that didn't pay for EBCI or BS.
(a) This was when the DCA/LGA/BOS Shuttles were one class with no assigned seating
(b) Even then, it was far more common to deboard using the front and rear stairs than to board
(c) It was also far more common to deboard at the rear when traveling on planes with built-in rear stairs, such as 727s and MD-80s (though I swore I deboarded a US Shuttle flight at LGA using airstairs).

Almost twenty years ago, I was on an EasyJet flight from BCN to LTN that boarded using the front and rear stairs, but, again, no assigned seats.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:37 am

Doubt this will be tried east of Albuquerque. Rainy steps lead to falls. And falls produce headlines and sweating stockholders. The US flying public is getting older and heavier, not more agile.
joshua362 and kennycrudup like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Doubt this will be tried east of Albuquerque. Rainy steps lead to falls. And falls produce headlines and sweating stockholders. The US flying public is getting older and heavier, not more agile.
It's not WN, but I don't believe there is a single jetway for G4's operation at PGD.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
You know someone is going to flip out about "their" seat being taken by someone behind them that didn't pay for EBCI or BS.
And of course they'll complain about it here on the forum, until the day the sun burns out... They always do.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:49 am

It's not WN, but I don't believe there is a single jetway for G4's operation at PGD.
"Passengers at PGD board an aircraft by walking along the ground-level and up a gently-sloping ramp. If it’s raining while boarding, airline staff accommodates passengers by providing ponchos."
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I somehow manage to miss the "test" at SJC each time I fly there.
The only times I've seen this it was on a) early morning and b) on 738 flights
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
I experienced this twice last year at FLL. The BS crowd wasn't super happy when you have pre-boarders mucking up the lines and A50 was getting to a seat before A1. Given that FLL tends to have more pre-boarders than most other airports, WN needs to think through this process a bit more.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Ok. Do ponchos make the ramp less slippery? If the ramp is better than stairs, is there some reason WN can't do the same thing?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:51 pm

Ok. Do ponchos make the ramp less slippery? If the ramp is better than stairs, is there some reason WN can't do the same thing?
This looks practical to you?

"Ramps currently used by Allegiant cost around $30,000 while jet bridges cost closer to $800,000."
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:52 pm

Cool - ALB has been using front and rear boarding for WN for a while - with a jetway at both ends. They don't offer it every time (more often don't, than do) - But the times I have used it, it's been great.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Often1
Using two-door boarding will come with its own set of problems. But, maybe those will move WN in a direction to deal with the childish stuff.
BUR has been two-door for as long as I can remember; they manage and for the two years I was in there regularly never saw any apparent issues.

Rear-door (de)planing sucks at SJC because of the two flights of narrow stairs; I tried it once then got stuck behind the old and/or fat mobility-challenged and decided never again.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:26 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
I flew on Monday and saw this at SJC. I don't know. It probably speeds things up a bit, but it will not be popular during bad weather and it also requires people to go down the stairs and then up the stairs to the jetway. The gate agent was explaining to me that "security" continuously walks the passengers from the aircraft to the stairway. I did not see anything taped off. Seems like an inefficient use of people.

This was an early morning flight (the first one of the day), but a 737-700.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
The gate agent was explaining to me that "security" continuously walks the passengers from the aircraft to the stairway. I did not see anything taped off. Seems like an inefficient use of people.
Huh. There's no such protections at BUR, and if it weren't for the bag-truck guys I could have probably run off into that active taxiway (yet you never hear of that kind of thing happening). You can get close enough to the engine's exhaust to feel the heat from it, too.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by LegalTender
This looks practical to you?

I believe the Bluth family still has the stair car for sale...
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:36 pm

No dual boarding today at SJC on an early morning 738, I assume because of the rain. Flight was not full and still left early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.