https://www.southwest.com/html/trave.../dualdoor.html

You might see this new option at:
  • Burbank (BUR)
  • Long Beach (LGB)
  • Sacramento (SMF)
  • San Jose (SJC)

Last edited by nsx; Nov 9, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Had this happen months ago at SJC. Old news
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:25 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I think that this has been the normal boarding process in LGB for a while now (and JetBlue has done it this way at LGB for years). Though as of early this year they don't always use the back door for deplaning. I was on a half full flight to LGB and took a seat near the rear thinking I'd be off first, but since we were only half full we only used the front door to exit!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two doors and air stairs have been used in BUR since... forever. No jetways at BUR. They can turn a full plane around in 20 minutes at BUR.
A few years back they came up with a rolling ramp for the nose door, though I believe they still might offer lift service (to the opposite door).
Flying into BUR, sitting in the back is like sitting in the front in terms of quick exit.
BUR terminal is a throwback to the 60's in almost every way, but still my preferred airport in LA.
TSparky and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA and US before it, have done this on the Shuttle services for years.(offloading only). UA had some double jet bridges for widebodies which it repurposed to narrow bodies on occasion (no longer). It generally works well and speeds up both on and offloading and that is a good thing.

For boarding, it permits WN to allow passengers willing to board through the rear to board contemporaneously with special assistance passengers. It is also a better bet if one is later in the boarding process because most people will default to the forward door and thus a better chance of a decent seat towards the rear.

The only downside is that there will be those seated towards the back who decide that they don't want to do two sets of stairs and want to go forward while others are trying to go back. If they wait 2 minutes, the rear will clear, but it doesn't always happen.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
UA did it mainly with Ted many years ago using dual entry jetways. That is until one broke and damaged a 757 (though that may not be the ultimate cause of them cancelling the usage)
DEN dual bridge jetway is here
New Double Jetway in Denver breaks.

Edit:
Post 5000!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Often1
AA and US before it, have done this on the Shuttle services for years.(offloading only). UA had some double jet bridges for widebodies which it repurposed to narrow bodies on occasion (no longer). It generally works well and speeds up both on and offloading and that is a good thing.

For boarding, it permits WN to allow passengers willing to board through the rear to board contemporaneously with special assistance passengers. It is also a better bet if one is later in the boarding process because most people will default to the forward door and thus a better chance of a decent seat towards the rear.

The only downside is that there will be those seated towards the back who decide that they don't want to do two sets of stairs and want to go forward while others are trying to go back. If they wait 2 minutes, the rear will clear, but it doesn't always happen.
But AA doesn't have open seating like WN. You know someone is going to flip out about "their" (economy, all seat are economy despite what you might think from reading some of the seat stuff on this site) seat being taken by someone behind them that didn't pay for EBCI or BS.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Love it for deplaning at places like BUR where everyone hits the tarmac, not a fan at SJC where you gotta use the air stairs down then hike up the stairs from the tarmac to the jet bridge.

Not a fan for boarding anywhere.
kennycrudup, ursine1 and ryw like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by PAX62
Not a fan for boarding anywhere.
... depends on where you prefer to sit
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Encounter this frequently in Europe and love it.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I deplaned out the back of a Delta Shuttle MD-80 at BOS once. I got to walk around the plane and then out the exit to the sidewalk. ^
steved5480 and McGowan06 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Had this happen months ago at SJC. Old news
I also found it curious that they put out a release on this now; my first time seeing dual boarding with WN at SJC was in June 2017. And many airlines use dual boarding at BUR since there are no jetways.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrianCUnited
I also found it curious that they put out a release on this now; my first time seeing dual boarding with WN at SJC was in June 2017. And many airlines use dual boarding at BUR since there are no jetways.
Obviously whoever created that web page didn't know anything about the subject and got lots of things mixed up.

They claim that it's jetway front and stairs back, but it's actually stairs at both ends at BUR.

They claim they're "testing it" at those 4 airports, but it's been around at BUR for well over a decade (basically, since WN started serving BUR), but with stairs only.

So if this really a test, they shouldn't have lumped BUR in as a "test" location. There's no other choice at BUR!

And with the many things wrong with that web page, what else might be wrong? (Are they even really doing a "test", or did they conclude the "test" already at SJC last year?)
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I somehow manage to miss the "test" at SJC each time I fly there. I'd be more than happy to be a lab mouse!

I really need to check our BUR some time when I'm in the L.A. area. ONT is infinitely more convenient for me though (I do recall the stairs there at ONT too but they are long gone...).
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
But AA doesn't have open seating like WN. You know someone is going to flip out about "their" (economy, all seat are economy despite what you might think from reading some of the seat stuff on this site) seat being taken by someone behind them that didn't pay for EBCI or BS.
That is a fundamental flaw with WN and can't be fixed. It neither assigns seats nor intervenes in the childish mess over holding seats for later boarders, individuals' "must haves" and all the other assorted juvenile conduct.

Using two-door boarding will come with its own set of problems. But, maybe those will move WN in a direction to deal with the childish stuff.

Last edited by Often1; Nov 14, 2018 at 8:51 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.