Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

This is a fantastic analysis into how we got here:

Boeing’s effort to get the 737 Max approved to fly again, explained
A bigger problem than a software update.
nsx, DenverBrian and N830MH like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ursine1
This is a fantastic analysis into how we got here:

Boeing’s effort to get the 737 Max approved to fly again, explained
A bigger problem than a software update.
Good article. I thought I posted this image upthead but this satire from airliners.net shows how trusting/gullible the FAA was to allow Boeing to self certify:
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:41 pm

It was indeed a great background article, and gave great context.

Back in 1965, I was an 11-year old aviation nerd, and I recall the three 727 accidents that occurred, one (United) in August, and two (another United, and an American) in November. Those two happen a mere 3 days apart. The American 727 crashed on approach into CVG, and I lived in Cincinnati at the time.

The probable cause on the August United accident was never determined. Both the November accidents had pilot error issues, and the 727 itself wasn't faulted.

Obviously, the 727 went on to have a remarkable service history, and I expect the 737 will eventually put this dark period of Boeing/FAA history behind it, notwithstanding that it'll take time.
nsx and steved5480 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I think a background factor was Boeing HQ move from Seattle to Chicago which put executives far away from and out of touch with their core business. It is closer to D.C. however.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
*IF* the MAX8 is certified to fly again.....

Interesting wording in todays Maui News

Southwest director of finance Leah Koontz said that if and when the MAX 8 is cleared to fly again, Southwest wants to incorporate it into its Hawaii flights.

Perhaps these are parked in the desert boneyard for a reason....

Also, people are panicing about seeing the combined 737-800 / 737-MAX8 safety cards onboard.
N830MH likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
That's good to know. Let make it happens. I am pretty sure they will be very happy to fly on 737-MAX8 again.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by exwannabe
That WSJ sourced article makes little sense.

The manual control is a direct cable attached to the drive mechanics The electric system is in effect a motor that drives the wheel. There is nothing that could ever be accomplished by turning the electric control system back on that could not be accomplished by turning the wheel.
I think I read that because of the aircraft's (possibly too high) speed the manual method required more physical force than the pilots could muster.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I think I read that because of the aircraft's (possibly too high) speed the manual method required more physical force than the pilots could muster.
Dominic Gates of the Seattle Times wrote an informative report on the forces involved on the horizontal stabilizer and how they may have been too great for the pilots to turn the manual trim wheel
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Southwest removes 737 MAX jets from schedule through August 5
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:40 pm

I figured as much yesterday when I was checking for fare drops on my MDW->SEA trip (06/28 - 07/04) and saw 'sold out' for every fare bucket on quite a few outbound flights including mine.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

I received an email with the Aug. 5th info (assuming everyone else did as well, but just in case). It's unclear if everyone affected has been contacted just yet.

A message from our President, Tom Nealon
I want to take a moment to provide an update on our current plans surrounding the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft. As you might know, Southwest® removed the MAX from service on March 13, 2019.

Our Teams are working to further increase the reliability of our schedule and reduce the amount of last-minute flight changes - especially during the upcoming summer travel season. With that in mind, we've now modified our schedule through August 5, 2019, to add further stability for Customers booking their summer travel.

While the timing for the return to service of the MAX remains unclear, what is very clear is our commitment to operate a reliable schedule and provide the famous Customer Service you expect from us. Our revised summer schedule allows us to accomplish those objectives.

The limited number of Customers who have already booked their travel and will be affected by this amended schedule are being proactively notified so that we can re-accommodate their flight plans well in advance of their travel date.

While the vast majority of our Customers' itineraries have remained unaffected, flight schedule changes have inconvenienced some of our valued Customers, and, for that, I offer my sincerest apologies.

Safety has always been our most sacred responsibility to both our Employees and our Customers, and we will continue to remain in full compliance with all FAA directives and any additional requirements necessary to return this aircraft to service.

Again, our goal is to deliver the excellent Customer Service that you've come to know and expect from us, and we remain steadfastly committed to that. We will continue to keep you informed of any new developments, and we invite you to visit Southwest.com for the latest updates. Thanks for your patience and understanding during this time, and please know that the entire Southwest Team looks forward to serving you soon.

Tom

Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I received an email with the Aug. 5th info (assuming everyone else did as well, but just in case). It's unclear if everyone affected has been contacted just yet.
I think not yet. I’m booked on one of the suddenly 100% sold out flights (presumably cancelled) and haven’t received a cancellation notice yet.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I saw that email too. It's so overwrought with precise legal language it's almost funny. Safety is a "sacred responsibility..." and they demonstrate just how seriously they take safety because they are in "full compliance with all FAA directives." Woohoo! That's really stepping out there for safety!
OzzyOzzie and ursine1 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:33 am
Original Poster

737 MAX crisis prompts Southwest pilots to question its all-Boeing fleet

Woah.
​​​​​​
Whether it’s a serious proposal or just a reflection of anger at Boeing, designed to make the manufacturer take notice, it’s not a question anyone at Southwest could raise lightly.
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Wow, that skepticism cuts to the a core tenet of SWA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.