Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Woman threatens to kill all on a WN flight after forced from lav for smoking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman threatens to kill all on a WN flight after forced from lav for smoking

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:48 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving this over to the Southwest forum, where it will likely join the existing thread on this topic: Woman arrested on WN flight to smoking on the plane

Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
In the video the aisle pax is trying not to get involved and let the FA do their job. Another pax jumps in at the end of the video.

So at what point may a pax jump into a situation?

In my case, non law enforcement, non-military and recovering from medical issues - probably not until there are not many other options. But the guys on 9/11 were completely able to confront the hijackers and did so, saving lives on the ground.

So we have two issues, maybe more - the physical issues of a confrontation, and the legal issues, including FA orders and FA requests.

I am not thinking of Dr Dao, and taking on a flight crew to save him.

At what point should other pax get involved?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Texas Booster
In the video the aisle pax is trying not to get involved and let the FA do their job. Another pax jumps in at the end of the video.

So at what point may a pax jump into a situation?

In my case, non law enforcement, non-military and recovering from medical issues - probably not until there are not many other options. But the guys on 9/11 were completely able to confront the hijackers and did so, saving lives on the ground.

So we have two issues, maybe more - the physical issues of a confrontation, and the legal issues, including FA orders and FA requests.

I am not thinking of Dr Dao, and taking on a flight crew to save him.

Now that I'm retired, I can say this. If I were a passenger and heard someone threaten to kill everyone? I'd say jump up and restrain them. (Kick their butt) The FAs would probably thank you. She also destroyed the smoke detector in the lav, I haven't looked in a while but I think it's a $3500 fine just for tampering with the detector. You folks should check on your next flight. It should say the amount of the fine for tampering.

NWA FA

Fly Safe!
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:47 am

I guess she really needed a smoke.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Texas Booster
I'd say when someone threatens to kill everyone onboard would be the perfect time to get involved!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
But then upon reading the article I was like "Mental illness ."
Yeah, I don't think anyone who's assuming this is just some Jane off the street and asking "who still does this?" or saying she should be rotting in jail has watched the video; this woman has clearly lost it.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:09 pm

To make matters worse, her hat isn't flattering at all.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Yeah, I don't think anyone who's assuming this is just some Jane off the street and asking "who still does this?" or saying she should be rotting in jail has watched the video; this woman has clearly lost it.
Actually most of the discussions elsenet beneath the video are going in exactly that direction.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:05 am

Not entirely on topic, but a year ago I was on an Emirates flight from Dubai to Thailand, and there was a passenger who was sitting across the aisle from me who went to the rear of the plane to smoke. You could certainly smell the smoke in the cabin. He had been drinking rather heavily so that might have contributed, but a handful of FA's confronted him, and then nothing else seemed to happen to him, either during or after the flight. I was thinking at the time what a different outcome would have occurred in the US, but I guess this isn't as much of an issue in the rest of the world.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ksuwldkat
Not entirely on topic, but a year ago I was on an Emirates flight from Dubai to Thailand, and there was a passenger who was sitting across the aisle from me who went to the rear of the plane to smoke. You could certainly smell the smoke in the cabin. He had been drinking rather heavily so that might have contributed, but a handful of FA's confronted him, and then nothing else seemed to happen to him, either during or after the flight. I was thinking at the time what a different outcome would have occurred in the US, but I guess this isn't as much of an issue in the rest of the world.
You can't extrapolate to the whole rest of the world based on one overseas experience. Gosh, you can't even extrapolate from one Emirates experience to assuming every Emirates experience with a smoking person is going to be the same:

Drunk Emirates passenger 'stripped off and lit cigarette in business class after forgetting he was on a plane' - Mirror Online

While if you google "smoking on plane" or something like that you'll obviously get a lot of hits right now for the story this thread is about, you'll soon find many other cases from vairous airlines around the world where someone was detained for smoking onboard. So it's not just USA, but it varies with each country and/or airline and/or specifics of the incident.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Can you still light up on that North Korean airline? @:-)

Route map is a bit limited... Not many opportunities to earn/burn on partners. Definitely no AA or DL codeshares. But it's an option...
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by beerad420
I guess she really needed a smoke.
She can't! It's not allowed. She could breaks the FAA regulation.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:17 am

Talking

Originally Posted by N830MH
She can't! It's not allowed. She could breaks the FAA regulation.
I was being snarky.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I am rather amazed how many posters thought they were helping folks out here by stating "FAA rule against smoking". No $hit sherlock. Even she knew it, which is why she was in the bathroom.

The biggest issue here is not that smoking rule but her threats to kill everybody. And not just once. She was serious. One could make a case that she should have been jumped at that point as she made it clear she was a threat to the entire plane.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
The biggest issue here is not that smoking rule but her threats to kill everybody. And not just once. She was serious. One could make a case that she should have been jumped at that point as she made it clear she was a threat to the entire plane.
Woman or no woman. Keep saying that in front of me and it's Guiliani time.
kennycrudup likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.