Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Companion Pass Hotel Transfers are allowed again, through March 31, 2017 only!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Pass Hotel Transfers are allowed again, through March 31, 2017 only!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
This restores my faith that SWA does the right thing. 3 month lead time is ample. I am back on the SWA bandwagon and have lots of flights planned for 2017.

I still suggest they allow 50% or a maximum of 40k miles to count for hotel program transfers for a CP. That and making the CP only good for 12 months from date of issue. That would keep stong loyalty and be much less costly for WN.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:16 am
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nightowlrn
OH good God! I just started the two CC process. arrgggggg
Me, too. First, I transferred my SPG points to Marriott last week, for purposes of getting a travel package. Then, after the cancellation of the policy, I transferred my points back, and applied for a second SW credit card. Now, the deal is back on, so I re-transferred my SPG points to Marriott and got the package.

Can't complain about getting the pass through the end of 2018, but it's certainly a little annoying to have applied for the CC for the bonus signup points, and now not really needing them for 2 years. I guess I could earn the bonus, then cancel the cards and do it all again in 2019.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Interesting that this has not been updated in their online T&Cs.

Just now:

"Companion Pass Qualifying Points are earned from revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines, points earned on Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Cards, and base points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners. Purchased points, transferred points transferred between members, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from program enrollment, tier bonus points, flight bonus points, and partner bonus points (with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not qualify as Companion Pass Qualifying Points."
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Interesting that this has not been updated in their online T&Cs.

Just now:

"Companion Pass Qualifying Points are earned from revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines, points earned on Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Cards, and base points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners. Purchased points, transferred points transferred between members, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from program enrollment, tier bonus points, flight bonus points, and partner bonus points (with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not qualify as Companion Pass Qualifying Points."
If you go to the announcements page, you will see the CP extension notice to 3/31/17
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Seems legit:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.co...ear/ba-p/50377
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
What a pack of goofballs.
Us or WN, lol
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Well, it's great that we now have some time to think about it. I was all set to pull the trigger on 1/1, but now that I've been forced to think a bit about alternative uses of 270k points I'm no longer so sure that the CP was the right route for me. Alaska and United are both looking like attractive transfer partners for my needs, and while 2-for-1 would be great savings when flying WN, on many of the routes I fly it would be less than 50% over the tickets we would otherwise choose, require layovers, or be about the same price as we could get with the Visa Infinite $100 discount. So, I'm back on the fence for a while...
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:59 pm

Hey Gang,

I have 125K Chase Ultimate Rewards points. Could I transfer them to Marriott then transfer to SWA to get the CP?

thanks,

purdue
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nightowlrn
If you go to the announcements page, you will see the CP extension notice to 3/31/17
I am aware.

WN should be consistent everywhere at all times.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by purdue1015
Hey Gang,

I have 125K Chase Ultimate Rewards points. Could I transfer them to Marriott then transfer to SWA to get the CP?

thanks,

purdue
Yes, but you need 270k Marriott in total for the cheapest package.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Hey Gang,

thanks,

purdue
Those will count but 125K Chase points is not going to get you there. If you can't make the TP, wouldn't the Hyatt route be better with 70K SWA points vs less than 50K with Marriott direct transfer.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Those will count but 125K Chase points is not going to get you there. If you can't make the TP, wouldn't the Hyatt route be better with 70K SWA points vs less than 50K with Marriott direct transfer.
So, 125K chase-Hyatt-SWA would net me 70K cp qualifying points...then I'd just have to come up with an extra 40K cp qualifying SWA points. Do I have that right?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
So, 125K chase-Hyatt-SWA would net me 70K cp qualifying points...then I'd just have to come up with an extra 40K cp qualifying SWA points. Do I have that right?
Yes that would work. But what are your plans for the remaining 40,000 points you will need? If you plan on using a Southwest signup bonus you would be better off transferring only 100,000 UR points to Hyatt for 60,000 (better transfer ratio) and using a Southwest credit card referral for the remaining 50,000 needed. The public offer from Chase and Southwest is only 40,000. This will also save you 25,000 UR points.

Last edited by Critterlynn; Jan 5, 2017 at 3:20 pm
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Redacted

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 6, 2017 at 9:01 am Reason: Placed in the proper forum
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I did the transfer on Jan 2. Called today about policy reverse. Was told the points would count, but takes about a week to update. They have to "undo" some things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.