Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Effective April 1 2017:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Print Wikipost

Change to Companion Pass qualifying

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:51 am

Sounds good to me. I will be doing this in the next few days. Already transferred my points from Starwood to Marriott so I am ready to get the process completed. Just need to pick out a hotel in London for the week stay.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: Southwest
Originally Posted by mymousecapades
I don't think they announced the change on their social media to begin with, so I doubt they'll mention it now. Would be nice to see verification via an update to their policy page, though, along the lines of "Effective 3/31..."

Anyway, I, for one, am very relieved. But they set me back 4 days bc I was really hoping to get the CP before my trip to Cuba next Friday. I wonder if there's any chance of that anymore? Ah well, if not, no big deal.
Definitely a good chance you'd be able to get it before then. A user in the Marriott TP thread ordered the package 1/2 and had points post yesterday 1/4. So 2-3 days, then you should be able to call and add your companion
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: DL Silver
So...2017 and 2018?

Now that this has ben extended for 3 months, does anyone know if CP will be for 2017 and 2018 still?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:50 am

There is so much to take in the past couple days. Can anyone confirm if the SW sign up bonus will or will not qualify for CP after March 31...
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:13 pm

There appears to be no change to the policy of CP being valid through the calendar year following the year earned.

There appears to be no change to Chase RR Visa signup bonus points qualifying for CP, but there's no way to tell if that will continue, and/or at what point that might change.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:30 pm

Chase CC bonus counts towards CP

I happened to have a statement close on 1/2/17 and can confirm the 50k point bonus does count towards the CP.

This was before they reversed course on which points are qualified, therefore I would assume these points will continue to count after 3/31.

Last edited by defjukie; Jan 5, 2017 at 12:31 pm Reason: d
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:34 pm

Hi Gang,

I have 125K Chase Ultimate Rewards Points. Is there anyway I could use that to qualify for a SWA CP? I can transfer them 1-1 at Marriott...but then (if my understanding is correct), I'd still be short the necessary 270K Marriott points needed to get the CP.

Any thoughts?

If I could get 120K SWA points, a CP, and a Marriott stay out of this, I am not opposed to paying some extra cash to get the above.

I appreciate your thoughts!

Purdue
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by purdue1015
Hi Gang,

I have 125K Chase Ultimate Rewards Points. Is there anyway I could use that to qualify for a SWA CP? I can transfer them 1-1 at Marriott...but then (if my understanding is correct), I'd still be short the necessary 270K Marriott points needed to get the CP.

Any thoughts?

If I could get 120K SWA points, a CP, and a Marriott stay out of this, I am not opposed to paying some extra cash to get the above.

Purdue
You have to book the package with all points. What you're suggesting won't work.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I was unable to add a companion online to an international trip. This companion was underage.
Can an adult be added to an international trip online as a companion or do all international flights require a call if you want to add a companion?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by purdue1015
Hi Gang,

Any thoughts?

Purdue
If you have to buy 145k points you cannot do it directly with Marriott. Marriott points are capped out at 50k for $625 and Starwood caps at 30k which converts to 90k Marriott for $1050. Starwood is slightly cheaper and gets you most of the points. You could then use the gift function and have your spouse or friend buy you the rest of the starwood points.

So 30k Starwood for $1050 plus 18.5k Starwood gift points for $647.50 would yield 48.5k Starwood or 145.5k Marriott points combined with your 125k Chase points would give you enough Marriott points at a cost of $1697.50 dollars. Doable but is it worth it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.