Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Effective April 1 2017:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Print Wikipost

Change to Companion Pass qualifying

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred & CP
One thing that is unclear still...is it only partner TRANSFERS that no longer count, or are WN point EARNINGS via partners also now exempt?

e.g. setting earning preference for WN points at Marriott (600 pts per stay), or Hertz (600 pts per rental), in lieu of that entity's points? What about Rocketmiles, ScoreBig, etc?

Personally I feel for those folks that are stuck with a truckload of hotel points they didn't want, although selfishly as a WN flyer I am generally fine with making it harder for non-flyers to get CP easily (probably the greatest travel bargain that exists).
Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ursine1
I would not be surprised if this is the beginning of the end for CP. I suspect the next move will be elimination of the credit card bonus points as CP qualifying. That may be enough to keep the program alive, but if not expect the CP tier numbers to increase, and/or the eventual elimination of the program completely.
The opposite, I think. Unless by "the end of CP" you mean "the end of CP for those who earn it without much flying on Southwest or use of their cobranded credit card."

In many (but not all) cases CP tickets displace revenue tickets (either by keeping a paying customer off of a full flight, or by giving a free ticket to someone who would otherwise have purchased it). The CP is a benefit that costs Southwest revenue. Southwest can justify that cost if the ability to earn a CP drives revenue as well, by encouraging frequent flyers to choose Southwest and use their cobranded credit card in order to earn a CP.

In this case it is clear that the large number of people who were threatening to earn CP by transferring in points from Marriott Travel Packages do not promise enough revenue to Southwest to justify the expense. Had Southwest been unable to prevent the CP program from becoming a money loser, they would have been much more likely to end the program.

The danger for Southwest does not lie in alienating the crowd of folks who planned to cash in two Travel Packages to earn the CP. Those folks were unlikely to create enough revenue for Southwest to compensate for the cost of the CP. The real danger they face is in alienating frequent Southwest flyers and credit card users who were planning to redeem a single Travel Package or mid-size chunk of points to augment the CP qualifying points they already earn. The ability to get that extra boost from a hotel point transfer may be a significant part of what keeps these flyers loyal to Southwest. Southwest is certain to lose some revenue from this group, but how much remains to be seen. They may be confident enough in their product to believe that most of these flyers have no place else to go.

Whoever suggested that point transfers should be allowed to count for those who qualify for A-List may be onto something. That proposal, or only allowing point transfers to count for 50% of CP qualification, might be a way to reach out to and maintain the loyalty of these frequent flyers. Of course if they did the latter, I hope that they would also count transfers of Chase UR points. It never made sense that hotel point transfers counted, but credit card transfers did not (which was one of the reasons many of us knew all along that this was a loophole, not Southwest's intended policy).

Last edited by lexdevil; Jan 2, 2017 at 3:34 pm
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:27 pm

Just noticed that the language used would seem to suggest that credit card bonuses as CP qualifying are also a loophole, able to be closed at any time.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:31 pm

Airlines allow hotel points transfer because 1) it's another source of revenue for them; and 2) it potentially increases the base of their customers. Some of the these points would probably never be redeemed and many others will be redeemed for very poor values over long period of time. With Southwest's CP, though, the situation is very different. People who transfer hotel points for CP are too savvy for Southwest. These people would be heavy users of CP and would probably pay with WN points (rather than cash) for the paid ticket since they'd have lots of WN points to burn after the transfer.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Just noticed that the language used would seem to suggest that credit card bonuses as CP qualifying are also a loophole, able to be closed at any time.
Wow, that language is super scary.

It contradicts that found on the Southwest website, which makes a clear distinction between TQP and CQP. I think that the visual you shared is probably in error. At least I hope it is.

Companion Pass Qualifying Points are earned from your revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines, your points earned by making purchases with a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Card, and your base points earned from Rapid Rewards partners. Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass.
Though even the language above may rule out credit card bonuses, I think there is a decent argument that they are "earned by making purchases" because you do not earn the bonus until you reach a specified spending threshold. You don't just get them for getting the card. The "excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase" should be cause for hope as well (though I expect it's really about the category bonus for spend on Southwest tickets).

Tier Qualifying Points are earned from revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines® or through the use of the Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Cards (maximum of 15,000 Tier Qualifying Points per card, per year). Purchased points and points earned from program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and Rapid Rewards partner points do not count toward A-List or A-List Preferred status.

Last edited by lexdevil; Jan 2, 2017 at 3:58 pm
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by konems
One thing that is unclear still...is it only partner TRANSFERS that no longer count, or are WN point EARNINGS via partners also now exempt?

e.g. setting earning preference for WN points at Marriott (600 pts per stay), or Hertz (600 pts per rental), in lieu of that entity's points? What about Rocketmiles, ScoreBig, etc?

Personally I feel for those folks that are stuck with a truckload of hotel points they didn't want, although selfishly as a WN flyer I am generally fine with making it harder for non-flyers to get CP easily (probably the greatest travel bargain that exists).
The language in WN's T&Cs seems clear that the 600s from hotels/rental cards will stay CPQPs. I am guessing that Rocketmiles, etc. will not count going forward.

"Companion Pass Qualifying Points are earned from revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines, points earned on Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Cards, and base points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners."

I think that is just standard confused language from some WN marketing type who does not understand the difference between TQPs and CPQPs.

But maybe it is an accidentally published draft indicating that some day there might only be TQPs (no CPQPs any more) and 110k of them will be needed for CP. Maybe then all CC points will be TQPs and we can get A-List that way.

Who knows with these jokers?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
MHT

Originally Posted by Vinodavid
Like many other posters this does make my life easier. I would always fly Southwest with the family as my daughter flied free. This was usually 3-4 round trips a year even when it wasn't convenient....ie flying into Manchester, NH to go to Vermont instead of Burlington.

It's still very irritating that they didn't give a heads up. I will burn my last 60k points and only fly them when I have to or when making a booking that is uncertain.
Totally agree with you - use to fly into MHT just to take advantage of the CP to get to BTV, was kind of a pain but worth the airfare saved. Now I have the freedom of booking flights straight into the airports I want and not feel guilty about it. But granted I loved the savings of the CP. Not getting a CP this year cause I dont want to apply for two cards in addition to the fact that I don't think I will use it much these following two years. But I was considering the hotel transfer - but I guess SWA made that decision for me.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:53 pm

In all fairness to Southwest the terms and conditions have stated for some time transfers do not count towards a Companion Pass. Transfers from programs other then hotels already did not count towards a companion pass. Southwest is now just treating all transfers the same. I figured this was going to change soon, and this was earlier then I originally figured but I cannot say I am surprised.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
It's not over. According to the T&C's credit card points still count including credit card bonuses. It will just be harder to get the last 6,000 points after meeting the minimum spend.
This is how we always qualified for cp. As long as the 50K offers are around (and you are under 4/24) anyone who can float $10K can easily get CP

No need to pay the upcoming AF on my SPG card as I have close to 1 million Marriott that I won't start using for years.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 3, 2017 at 1:05 am
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by philemer
The next step may be the elimination of credit card bonus pts counting toward the CP. Pure speculation of course.
I don't see credit cards ending, off the bat it's $168 in annual fees and 5/24 eliminates many folks.

Chase makes $$ on the spends ( which will now be $10K for many people) and more people than not pay interest.

What I could see them doing is making the best CC bonus ~ 40K which would involve spending $30K or some sort of spend and fly to make 110K and/or possibly raising the points higher than 110K.

We have CP until 12/31/2017 but may renew it in 2017 ( for 17,18) just in case SW has another new years day (2018) surprise concerning CC's and CP

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 3, 2017 at 12:31 am
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Wait...purchased points counted for CP?

You mean I spent several hours on WN planes last year for nothing?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Effective Jan 1 2017:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."

I don't think I've ever gotten any points in any of those ways. Double (or triple) points on rental cars and hotels, all the time. Is that what they mean by "bonus"?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Effective Jan 1 2017:

I don't think I've ever gotten any points in any of those ways. Double (or triple) points on rental cars and hotels, all the time. Is that what they mean by "bonus"?
At least for now, the first 600 are CPQPs and the rest are bonuses, which are not.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
This is why people are using Cash Back 2% credit cards and the Chase Sapphire Reserve card which lets you purchase any ticket at $0.15 per point while earning 3x points on travel.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Duke5150
This is why people are using Cash Back 2% credit cards and the Chase Sapphire Reserve card which lets you purchase any ticket at $0.15 per point while earning 3x points on travel.
Can you elaborate? Are you buying WN points or a ticket using WN points?

Do you mean 1.5 cent cash per point? And earns 3 UR points per $?

Plus 6 WN points on the purchase? This seems like a good deal...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.