FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Change to Companion Pass qualifying (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1812136-change-companion-pass-qualifying.html)

Vinodavid Jan 1, 2017 12:36 pm

Change to Companion Pass qualifying

Every 2 years I would transfer points from Hyatt to my Southwest account and have Companion Pass for the next 2 years. I went to make the transfer this morning only to be told that "we don't do that anymore" effective 1/1/17.

Very sad. I will use up the rest of my points and bid Southwest adios.

joey965 Jan 1, 2017 12:45 pm

Oh my goodness!! I was going to do this tomorrow. Were we suppose to be aware of this? At what point in the process did they tell you this? Does anyone know if the Marriott Hotel and Air package will still work?

Vinodavid Jan 1, 2017 12:48 pm

I looked at the fine print and saw this:

Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass.

I called and was told that as of today these points no longer count towards CP qualifying.

toomanybooks Jan 1, 2017 1:17 pm

It's all over.

No notice. Thanks, WN. Stellar service.

Now I am a free agent forevermore.

Critterlynn Jan 1, 2017 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 27689143)
It's all over.

No notice. Thanks, WN. Stellar service.

Now I am a free agent forevermore.

It's not over. According to the T&C's credit card points still count including credit card bonuses. It will just be harder to get the last 6,000 points after meeting the minimum spend.

toomanybooks Jan 1, 2017 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn (Post 27689177)
It's not over. According to the T&C's credit card points still count including credit card bonuses. It will just be harder to get the last 6,000 points after meeting the minimum spend.

Of course it's not TOTALLY over. Just mostly.

I bet people who bought SPG points yesterday so as to get a CP today through Marriott transfer are not too happy.

wetsand Jan 1, 2017 1:49 pm

I'd rather not see this change, I've used some of those routes in the past. But changes are made in this game all the time.

nightowlrn Jan 1, 2017 1:49 pm

sigh...what I get for being greedy. Waited until today to do the Marriott travel package thing. SO SO glad I looked here before selecting that! Ah well - CC applications begin today!

MajoredinMiles Jan 1, 2017 1:52 pm

This is very frustrating. I was targeted for 50% off purchasing SPG Points so I stocked up to get the Companion Pass. I understand their reasoning, but not giving any notice is what bothers me the most.

Big4Flyer Jan 1, 2017 2:00 pm

Wow, no notice at all. I've been saving up my marriott points for about 18 months now tonrenew my companion pass. I think I'll be using JetBlue much more now. I used to fly Southwest almost exclusively since I could redeem the points to bring my family with me on business trips, but so much for that.

mymousecapades Jan 1, 2017 3:00 pm

Really disappointed in this. Have 270k Marriott points waiting to do a Hotel + Air package tomorrow. :(

satman40 Jan 1, 2017 3:07 pm

I am just no going to fly SOUTHWEST. ,

This game changes all the time, will have another year on my CP, and not have a problem with 2018...I have even done BIS no t game changer...

dmbolp Jan 1, 2017 3:39 pm

What does the receiving company get, Southwest in this case, out of these reward point transfers?

jghassell Jan 1, 2017 4:24 pm

Simply can't believe the zero notice change. I bought $550 worth of SPG points two weeks ago. Marriott travel package redemption ready to go.

Their game, their rules, sure, but give us 30 days notice at least so those of us who were making purchases of points could change our plans. They obviously didn't wake up today and decide to do this.

I'm pissed.

Tmpy Jan 1, 2017 4:42 pm

It was bound to happen

Bloggers have been exploiting this all over the web. I'm sad but not surprised SW put a stop to it.