Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did Southwest stop service to Key West?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PA42
It had everything to do with the way Southwest flight ops defined a wet runway vs. the 2 other mainline operators (FL+DL) and the amount of seats that had to be blocked off constantly. City got whacked because SWA refused to adapt to an operation that was different than what they were used to doing over the last 4 decades. Nothing else, nothing more.
But weren't Branson and Jackson MS cut at the same time (as Key West)? It couldn't have been that same reason for those two, could it have?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
PA42 is definitely right. We should be thanking them for the input, but since this is the wide open internet, I guess there will be some on flyertalk who try to insult him or her and scare them away.

On other threads and forums, it was noted that Southwest cancelled more flights than the other carriers. The root cause was that Southwest did not want to make exceptions / reducing performance margins on runways during weather / or even allow operations when a piece of the airport Instrument Landing Transponder system was inoperative.

A schedule that becomes irregular costs does cost $$ dealing with exceptions, diversions, and customer accomodations. So money, and in this day and age, social networking and public brand perception, also were at risk.

//We were on the very first Southwest flight into Key West, and were on the very last flight out. It was sad seeing them give out stuff like umbrellas that they had no use for since they were giving up their gate.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But weren't Branson and Jackson MS cut at the same time (as Key West)? It couldn't have been that same reason for those two, could it have?
If I recall correctly Branson had some sort of subsidy and was not operated for very long. Then there was the whole embarrassing incident when one of their planes landed at the wrong airport.

Jackson on the other hand was operated for a long time, but apparently wasn't performing well.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
the airport Instrument Landing Transponder system
The what?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by PA42
I am one of less than half a dozen people in this world that not only managed the original FL schedule into EYW + knew the P&L but also implemented the transition to WN metal and saw that P&L. What are your credentials other than flyertalk speculation and articles with generic quotes from people that only know what the public does?
It might have helped if you had established your credentials in your first response. It seems that the regulars on the Southwest forum know you. However, for those of us not in the know, you gave no explanation of why your comment should carry more weight than another FT member.

I'm not suggesting that you post your resume. But, a simple statement that you have direct knowledge on this topic in your first response might have helped.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
the airport Instrument Landing Transponder system
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
The what?
It's what airplane drivers use when the Global Transitional Nanovectoring Beacons are kaput.

Last edited by Tanic; Feb 11, 2016 at 7:42 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: I fly for free.
Operational reasons had nothing to do with BKG or JAN closings. Just so happened that the decision was made to cut it out at the same time. Remember that SWA cant just pull cities out like OAs due to the lack of automatic reaccom hence you see city changes usually only on schedule extensions, especially on the domestic side.

It might have helped if you had established your credentials in your first response. It seems that the regulars on the Southwest forum know you. However, for those of us not in the know, you gave no explanation of why your comment should carry more weight than another FT member.

I'm not suggesting that you post your resume. But, a simple statement that you have direct knowledge on this topic in your first response might have helped.
I like to lurk

Jackson on the other hand was operated for a long time, but apparently wasn't performing well.
You have to realize there are a whole slew of cities that operate under different guises. Some are unprofitable but so strategic you eat the cost. Some are profitable but an operational nightmare for whatever reason and there are then those that are unprofitable and not strategic. There are such cities in each bigger carriers portfolio, it just so happens that SWA has a harder time unloading the last category because of the company culture. Whether you view this as a positive or negative depends on who you are...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
It's what airplane drivers use then the Global Transitional Nanovectoring Beacons are kaput.
ILS = Instrument Landing System.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:30 pm

It's what airplane drivers use then the Global Transitional Nanovectoring Beacons are kaput.
Oh yeah, just to the left of the flux capacitor...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by texashoser
...which has nothing whatsoever to do with the aircraft's transponder, hence...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Oh my, I hope we don't push back and sit on the runway for three hours...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:31 pm

The root cause was that Southwest did not want to make exceptions / reducing performance margins on runways during weather / or even allow operations when a piece of the airport Instrument Landing transponder system was inoperative.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
At the risk of a crazed FT crowd coming after me with flaming torches, I should point out that EYW doesn't even have an ILS. Ergo, nothing to be inoperative.

Just non-precision approaches.

Which probably explains the no-go's.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:06 pm

At the risk of a crazed FT crowd coming after me with flaming torches, I should point out that EYW doesn't even have an ILS. Ergo, nothing to be inoperative.

Just non-precision approaches.

Which probably explains the no-go's.
True. But just like many airports it has a RNAV LPV approach which is pretty darn accurate but does have higher minimums than a standard ILS approach.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
True. But just like many airports it has a RNAV LPV approach which is pretty darn accurate but does have higher minimums than a standard ILS approach.
Southwest already has higher mininums and no Autoland anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.