Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Route change [speculation / observations] re: WN [next / recent] schedule extension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Route change [speculation / observations] re: WN [next / recent] schedule extension

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines
The "Getaway Finder" Map Search is still only restricted to November 3rd (at least for me). I usually like to use that to find cheaper fares outside of ALB even with the cost of a round trip drive; just quicker to use anyway.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cabinpressure
DTW-LAS drops from daily to Sunday.
Originally Posted by t325
I'm thrilled that STL finally gets nonstop service to CUN, but only on Saturdays is a bit of a disappointment. Hopefully if it proves to be successful, it will become daily service.
With WN not interlining, how could anyone possible commit to this?

Get cancelled and wait a week?
Old May 18, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
With WN not interlining, how could anyone possible commit to this?

Get cancelled and wait a week?
Worst case scenario, couldn't they just put you on a flight with a connection?
Old May 18, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Worst case scenario, couldn't they just put you on a flight with a connection?
I guess so.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by HtomSirveaux
Okay, I'll be "that guy": Was interested in Sunday 11/12 MCO-ISP, but not ready to book yet. Since opening this morning, the fare shot up to ~$375 (more than double ISP-MCO the Tuesday prior), now WGA is "Sold Out" for two of the three nonstops of the day. I am currently in shock.
  1. It's still a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving. I know Veterans Day is the day before, but....really?
  2. Since it's just the WGA showing as "sold out," is it likely that more seats will be allocated to that bucket, and at the risk of pushing my luck might the pricing "settle down"?
  3. Really?
ISP always gets screwed since scaled back circa 2011. Just keep checking.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Originally Posted by joshua362
ISP always gets screwed since scaled back circa 2011. Just keep checking.
ISP is the most expensive airport to fly out/into. Southwest is pretty much the only carrier and demand far outweighs the supply. ISP tix to popular routes rarely come down much. ISP>PBI has been hovering around $1000 r/t for xmas week the past couple of years.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Joel Blitzer
ISP is the most expensive airport to fly out/into.
BTS fare data show that ISP average is close to LGA and much cheaper than EWR.

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/AIRFARES/
Old May 19, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: WN RR (Informed Kettle)
ISP is the most expensive airport to fly out/into. Southwest is pretty much the only carrier and demand far outweighs the supply. ISP tix to popular routes rarely come down much. ISP>PBI has been hovering around $1000 r/t for xmas week the past couple of years.
Outbound is fine in this case (still not as low as I'd like in a perfect world, but still low-mid 100's). Other dates are good to return as well. That one day has sold out of WGA specifically within hours, which I guess is what really gets to me.

The early flight has showed back up, but still more than double the outbound and I can't justify that to the wife.

I wonder if anything will change when other airlines' schedules open up (JFK/LGA of course). Trying Expedia/Kayak doesn't show nearly as many airline options as I'm used to.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by HtomSirveaux
Outbound is fine in this case (still not as low as I'd like in a perfect world, but still low-mid 100's). Other dates are good to return as well. That one day has sold out of WGA specifically within hours, which I guess is what really gets to me.

The early flight has showed back up, but still more than double the outbound and I can't justify that to the wife.

I wonder if anything will change when other airlines' schedules open up (JFK/LGA of course). Trying Expedia/Kayak doesn't show nearly as many airline options as I'm used to.
Check Google flights.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
BTS fare data show that ISP average is close to LGA and much cheaper than EWR.

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/AIRFARES/
It is not accurate at all. ISP is 90% Southwest flights. The other airports have 1000's of flights, including international ones.

SW has ZERO competition at ISP.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
It is not accurate at all. ISP is 90% Southwest flights. The other airports have 1000's of flights, including international ones.

SW has ZERO competition at ISP.
There is nothing stopping another airline from coming in and starting flights at ISP. If it were that lucrative, someone else would be there.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
There is nothing stopping another airline from coming in and starting flights at ISP. If it were that lucrative, someone else would be there.
That can be true and it can also be true that given the current landscape, Southwest charges more than they do at other area airports. Southwest has some monopoly power and they get to charge a premium for that. That doesn't mean that other airlines would get to charge the same fares if they came in; they could be anticipating Southwest undercutting them and making the whole endeavor pointless.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Yeah, they getting more extremely expensive. They have no new airlines in a long time. Didn't Spirit who tried FLL-ISP? Did they abandon ISP?
Old May 26, 2017, 4:48 pm

Beginning in August Frontier Airlines will be operating flights from ISP to MCO which may help to lower Southwest's fares out of ISP.

https://flights.flyfrontier.com/en/f...to-long-island
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Speculation on WN next schedule to be released 6/22/17 for March 7, 2018?

Any big route announcements, new city, new international destinations, and new domestic routes? It is time again for next schedule extension on June 22, 2017 for March 7, 2018.

Let the speculation begins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.