Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Nationwide sale $49/99/129/149 book by Fri 6/5; Epic website meltdown, mostly fixed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nationwide sale $49/99/129/149 book by Fri 6/5; Epic website meltdown, mostly fixed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:02 am

Just passed 5 hours on hold. Still holding.

But they may win, by simply never answering... Yawning is happening much here.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:15 am

Don't fret. Southwest's crack IT team is on top of the situation.

Robert E. Jordan, Southwest’s chief commercial officer, acknowledged Thursday evening that the company has no explanation at this point for the problems with its reservations system, other than the website was overburdened by the high volume of people shopping for tickets.

“The volumes and response to the sale have been great. We plan like crazy for these things to make sure this doesn’t happen,” but it was different for some reason this time, he said.

“We’ll get to the root, as we always do, to make sure that the next time we have a sale, we don’t see the same issues. But beyond the sheer volume and response to the sale, I don’t have a specific [explanation].”

<Facepalm>
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:25 am

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
I really never have such bad luck to book a sale

@ southwest
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:27 am

More details from Robert Jordan, who absolutely isn't just talking out of his @$$.

Southwest Airlines exec: It was just the high volumes of visitors that bogged down our website
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:28 am

OK! I can now announce the official wait time as of right now.

5 hours 27 minutes.

I got an agent, and they did what I needed them to do. Geez.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Originally Posted by ImSeeker
OK! I can now announce the official wait time as of right now.

5 hours 27 minutes.

I got an agent, and they did what I needed them to do. Geez.
I can't believe you waited that long... I called in at like 3pm today so they could change & check me into a flight and I was on hold 30 seconds. Might be because of A+ line though...
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
More details from Robert Jordan, who absolutely isn't just talking out of his @$$.

Southwest Airlines exec: It was just the high volumes of visitors that bogged down our website
Of course, he's absolutely talking out of his a$$. I appreciate his comments, but the whole "it's the website" nonsense has nothing to do with the front end web servers and their load balancing counterparts. It has everything to do with the backend databases which make up the reservation system - at least that part of the reservation system that's directly exposed to on-line reservations.

What you're not going to hear him say is that this is the best this version of their reservation system is going to perform and that they don't want to spend the millions it would take to beef up the current system while they are spending millions attempting to transition to another, supposedly better system.

After all, they've had four years since the fiasco rollout of RR 2.0 to shore up their systems and yet every sale, perhaps not as bad as this one, bogs down their website. I just can't believe that a company the size of WN with the resources they have can't beef up their current reservation system: rather it's a strategic choice not to do so.

Well, at least his comments counter the a$$hat hacking comments...
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Just after 2AM CT and able to login and book reward tickets! Still can't modify existing bookings but I can hold off on that.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:11 am

Just logged into the web site. 2:11am Central
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:26 am

I had troubles falling asleep, so I decided to try my luck booking a flight. Lo and behold, I was able to do so without any difficulties AND the RR info box isn't greyed out like it has been the last day!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:30 am

I can log in but can't make any changes to existing itineraries.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
I can log in but can't make any changes to existing itineraries.
Same here on southwest.com. I can also see RR account details, but still no low fare calendar.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:40 am

And... we're back to not being able to login to RR for booking. That period where you could login didn't last long, back to the same 'unable to complete request' error so they're blocking logins again.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:10 am

RR login still down

New bookings made
Still can't log into RR or change Res

4:10am MT
Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Still can't log in. I thought about waking up in the middle of the night and trying but figured I'd wait until the morning. Oops.

I can't access the Manage Reservation section either.

Last edited by Marko123; Jun 5, 2015 at 4:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.