Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Nationwide sale $49/99/129/149 book by Fri 6/5; Epic website meltdown, mostly fixed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nationwide sale $49/99/129/149 book by Fri 6/5; Epic website meltdown, mostly fixed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
I shudder to think what will happen when they attempt to move to a new system.
I have no doubt it's going to be messy.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:40 pm

FWIW, their site seems to be really fast right now. I haven't tried booking in cash or points, but I can get from the search to the purchase screen in a few seconds.

EDIT: Well, I can't log into my account so buying with points certainly isn't an option... ;-)
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Is login and therefore Rapid Rewards redemption officially down or just under the cover of top people working on it? I will be a nightowl tonight but if I can't get some 2240 point bookings I will not be pleased.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:47 pm
Suspended

I'm trying to get a points booking, website will not let me log in. And I've been on hold forever.

Thanks for calling Southwest Airlines...
We apologize for the delay.
and appreciate your patience, and
Someone'll be with you as soon as possible...

(40 minutes now)
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:53 pm

I can search for fares and (ostensibly) make cash bookings, but not points ones since there's no way to log in.

Just double checking a couple of my flights that are further out, the cash fare appears to have dropped a bit from when I searched on day 1 of the sale… but there's no way to tell what the corresponding points price might be. If it's at 70/$1 - 74/$1 I could refare and save, if it's higher, no.

So very frustrating.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:54 pm

I wonder if WN has disabled RR account access to restrict purchases to cash. That's one way to to speed things up by limiting functionality, but a really poor one...
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by texashoser
You can still cancel a 'touched' reservation on-line, you just can't modify it.
That's not my experience. As far as I know, once "touched" you can't do anything to it -- you need to call. (I admit that there might have been other issues making me call, this has been during IROPS.)
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
That's not my experience. As far as I know, once "touched" you can't do anything to it -- you need to call. (I admit that there might have been other issues making me call, this has been during IROPS.)
Pretty sure you can cancel it.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:30 pm

I called the A-List number a short while ago, and after either getting rapid busy signal (no pun intended) or normal busy tone 5 or 6 times, I got through. My call was picked up in less than one minute. It was a fairly quick and productive experience.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by texashoser
Because people are calling in and waiting two+ hours. And some people are getting reservations done in the wee hours of the morning.

Trust me, fares are getting booked even though it's a pain in the a$$.
It was easier getting tickets to "the Grateful Dead" in Chicago a few months back and that was a huge ClusterF !
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:57 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
I can search for fares and (ostensibly) make cash bookings, but not points ones since there's no way to log in.
Can't cancel a reservation either.

The fact that Southwest extended the sale means that either they are confident things will work much better tomorrow or they reacted to the bad publicity without regard to later consequences. I guess we'll have the answer on that tomorrow.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Can't just be an overloaded website

Southwest had similar sales the past several years and there was no problem booking online. This must be a serious problem.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:07 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by card1953
Southwest had similar sales the past several years and there was no problem booking online. This must be a serious problem.
Prior sales were not preceded by over a month of gouge fares. That plus an implementation subject to thrashing under heavy load (like a freeway's capacity suddenly collapses when traffic jams up) could explain this week's experience.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
I am so thankful for FlyerTalk

Read about the sale early on Tuesday morning and booked/rebooked more than a dozen flights without too much trouble (the equivalent of "normal" problems when booking at a normal time). Saved ~ $275 in the Bank of WN.

Now, I cannot even log into my account to rebook one last LAX-LAX points reservation. And I suspect I will not be able to get a boarding pass for my companion tomorrow at T-24.

This is such an epic fail, even on Southwest's admittedly dismal information systems scale, that one might even suspect sabotage. Any disgruntled employees??
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:26 pm
Suspended

I'm also thinking it is a bigger problem - like a HACK.

Something odd - when at the login screen my data is automatically put in the boxes. Normally the username and password and password always shows dots *********** instead of the actual password.

It's showing the actual password. I've never seen this happen before, and it's only on WN website. So I'm thinking that somewhere, somehow, they had a major security breach...time will tell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.