Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Nationwide sale $49/99/129/149 book by Fri 6/5; Epic website meltdown, mostly fixed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nationwide sale $49/99/129/149 book by Fri 6/5; Epic website meltdown, mostly fixed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
More details from Robert Jordan, who absolutely isn't just talking out of his @$$.

Southwest Airlines exec: It was just the high volumes of visitors that bogged down our website
I can tell him why the volumes are so high.

It's because Southwest has been raising fares consistently for the last few years and cutting back on promotions, so when a pretty good one comes along people jump all over it because they don't know when there will be another one.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Do you have enough points to book as a duplicate itinerary and the cancel the higher priced one after the fact?
Originally Posted by mke9499
Can you just do a new booking at the lower value on the app and cancel the original higher-priced trip?
Originally Posted by texashoser
I've seen this happen when the site was not having problems. Customer Relations could duplicate the problem and forwarded this issue to IT. Not sure if they ever fixed it. They might have and the problem is rearing its head due to the non-functioning status of the website/reservation system.
Great minds think alike.

I thought of that a bit after I posted. I went back and tried to do a points booking from scratch, both while logged in and also using the app as a "guest" -- which I've now discovered allows you to see points pricing without being logged in -- and it did essentially same thing. It's would show the lower price then give the dreaded "that fare is no longer available" error message when trying to actually complete the transaction. I just checked now, and the fare shown has jumped up to the higher price.

To me, this reinforces texashoser's theories regarding the cause of the issues being out of sync front end & database.

If this is true however, I'm not sure how they were able to "fix" it. It can't be that the volume suddenly dropped back to a "regular" level today.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: Biscoff Medallion, A-Hole Preferred
Is anyone else not getting email confirmations?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by drew870mitchell
I got them like normal last night when there was a lull in traffic, but I heard elsewhere that a 1-3 hour lag time between booking and getting the confirmation email is not uncommon this week given the demand.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:24 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I just finished some cleanup to my reservations, including finding better times of day than were available before here and there.

The website has worked virtually flawlessly for me today. Kudos to whoever figured out what to fix and convinced management that it would work on Friday if the sale were extended.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:27 pm

changed a reservation Tuesday morning, I've received nothing. In my RR account, the trip is showing, but if I go to change it, it says it can't find the confirmation number (and the fare difference is not showing up in my travel funds). I've got a feeling I'm not really booked on the flights I think I'm booked on.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:37 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by cubbynole
changed a reservation Tuesday morning, I've received nothing. In my RR account, the trip is showing, but if I go to change it, it says it can't find the confirmation number (and the fare difference is not showing up in my travel funds). I've got a feeling I'm not really booked on the flights I think I'm booked on.
Look at your Upcoming Trips in MySouthwest.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by nsx
I just finished some cleanup to my reservations, including finding better times of day than were available before here and there.

The website has worked virtually flawlessly for me today. Kudos to whoever figured out what to fix and convinced management that it would work on Friday if the sale were extended.
I'm still getting an error message when trying to add a companion.

UPDATE: Gave up on the website and sent a tweet to @SouthwestAir. They were very helpful and able to book my res in about 10 minutes.

Last edited by northy989; Jun 5, 2015 at 4:23 pm Reason: Update
Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
I made 2 new, "points" bookings this morning; each a 1 way for the same trip. I got the first email confirmation in 5 minutes, the second took about 40 minutes.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
I have to disagree with the changed thread title that suggests the problems are mostly fixed. I am still completely unable to complete even a basic cash booking on the site as of 6:55 pm EDT.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:13 pm

My November flight dropped about 2500 miles R/T

I have two one way flights booked with CP and EB

I'm not even sure if it's worth calling as I don't want the to mess something up
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: Biscoff Medallion, A-Hole Preferred
For reservations made around 1400 CDT I got confirmation emails at 1735 CDT. All information appears to be correct.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 6:10 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nsx
Kudos to whoever figured out what to fix and convinced management that it would work on Friday if the sale were extended.
And kudos to GK and the other executives who had the stones to bet on the assurances of their people that things would work better today. The safer bet would have been to end the sale on time, getting things back to normal by shutting off the demand.

This degree of courage is rare in large businesses. Bags fly free is another example of this damn the torpedoes attitude.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 6:20 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's weird that Friday and Sunday LAX-OAK is back down to $73 for summer but still over $100 for fall months. The summer price drops have not been announced but I have seen them in several places. Maybe it's a match to virgin america? VX does have a sale running today and tomorrow.

Separately, I can confirm that free wifi login is not working today.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 6:43 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by nsx
And kudos to GK and the other executives who had the stones to bet on the assurances of their people that things would work better today. The safer bet would have been to end the sale on time, getting things back to normal by shutting off the demand.

This degree of courage is rare in large businesses. Bags fly free is another example of this damn the torpedoes attitude.
I don't agree they should get kudos. If the cover story is true, the lack of IT investment and bad decisions led to this. Instead, they should still be fired if the shareholders are unhappy with the results for this quarter.

I still have a hard time believing this ho-hum sale caused the outage. I know of noone who bought this sale who doesn't read FT. Most of my friends were aware of the sale due to the outage reports on the news.

Courage would be to admit "we messed up" and making the necessary investments to make sure it doesn't ever happen again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.