Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bizarre WN fares

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Perhaps the single most awesome frequent flyer benefit offered anywhere.
It is for those actually having the time and energy to use it. I'd love to see the utilization stats on the CP. I'm sure the perception of use and actual use varies so much that it continues to be offered (even given away via credit card) year after year.

Just received my first WN sticker shock ever, a $500+ one way AT fare! (ISP or LGA-AUS). Was able to this a few months ago sub $400. That is going to throw a money wrench in getting travel approved and paid...
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
It is for those actually having the time and energy to use it. I'd love to see the utilization stats on the CP. I'm sure the perception of use and actual use varies so much that it continues to be offered (even given away via credit card) year after year.

Just received my first WN sticker shock ever, a $500+ one way AT fare! (ISP or LGA-AUS). Was able to this a few months ago sub $400. That is going to throw a money wrench in getting travel approved and paid...
I'm with you. I doubt many people use it much. Ink probably highest utilization rate since he flies with his companion every time.

My wife and I fly a lot, but seldom together. A CP would not do us much good, especially if we had to pay higher fares to earn it. The cost could easily offset the benefit. Of course is someone else paid for my travel, it would be an incentive to to use Southwest.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jun 2, 2014 at 6:56 am
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I'm with you. I doubt may people use it much. Ink probably highest utilization rate since he flies with his companion every time.
For sure. I bet his name shows up on the top of any utilization list as the biggest user!

The most I used it was 4x in 2012 with 4 different companions. Twice last year. Zero so far 2014. For those earning it the old fashioned hard way, it must take a ton of effort and motivation get on that plane again for short, fun, spur of the moment trip.

It must be perfect for a semi retired couple with grown kids...
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
I've had a CP for several months, which I really appreciate, but have found it hard to use from a logistical perspective. Here's why, I think: in order to get a CP, you probably fly a lot for business -- and on most business trips it's hard to bring along your spouse. In my situation, I do cyber security inspections at large industrial sites and once on the ground I may have to hop from one location to another, work long hours, and write reports into the evening. Not exactly inviting for my wife. And when my wife and I do need to go somewhere together we often end up flying separately because of my schedule. So...my take on the CP is that a) it's a nice perk to say you have, but b) it's probably not hurting WN's bottom line a lot.

Last edited by flyerfmaz; Jun 1, 2014 at 5:19 pm
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
I was in line the other day at MDW, boarding the flight back to TUS, and was chatting with another business traveler that flies as much or more than me. He's also finding the WN fares more difficult to get approved by his company. We both agreed we preferred WN over other airlines mainly because of the lack of change fees and such, but the bean counters are beating us both up. We also both agreed that one of the problems is that the WGA fares disappear much faster than they used to -- leaving expensive AT and BS fares. Of course this can vary by route, but in general we both agreed that the WN structure for business travelers is weakening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.