Wiki Posts
Search

Bizarre WN fares

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ftnoob
I'm no fan of what has been going on with WN for the past decade or more...
The Noob is back!
Old May 27, 2014, 7:33 am

Looking at Southwest pricing I do see a lot of gaming going on from the Company. One of the features I used to like about Southwest was predictability. That now seems out the window.

Southwest seems to have adopted a strategy of pricing tickets based on ultimate demand. That is if a flight is likely to completely sell out, then very few or no low cost seats are made available. As other carriers raise their prices Southwest skims off some high dollar fares. That is a valid strategy, but it does not lead to customer loyalty.

I have been checking on some holiday travel and almost without exception Southwest is at least $100 per trip higher than Delta or AA. On the flights where Southwest is lower it is rarely lower than by more than $30-40 even allowing for a bag fee. I have also experienced that some routes I fly the average fare I paid has increased by 60-70 % over the last two years, largely due to decreased promotional fares.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; May 27, 2014 at 9:53 am
Old May 27, 2014, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Southwest seems to have adopted a strategy of pricing tickets based on ultimate demand. That is if a flight is likely to completely sell out, then very few on no low cost seats are made available. As other carriers raise their prices Southwest skims off some high dollar fares. That is a valid strategy, but it does not lead to customer loyalty.
You may have hit the nail on the head.

I've been traveling for work purposes for a long, long time and like to be loyal to one airline. Years ago when I was traveling mostly abroad I focused on United. In return, United treated me pretty well -- frequent free upgrades, better seat availability, lounge membership, etc. Now that my travel is mostly domestic, I've ended up focusing on Southwest and I'm not feeling anything coming from Southwest to maintain my loyalty as a frequent business traveler. The most serious problems for business travel have become high airfares, flight delays, and declining customer service.

Of course, this has to be kept in perspective. Somehow, Southwest's business model seems to be working. Almost every flight is filled to maximum capacity, and many are oversold. Asking them to consider assigned seating and treating business travelers a little better is essentially asking them to fix what ain't broke. I may end up having to switch my loyalty but am fighting the urge to do so.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:56 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I have been checking on some holiday travel and almost without exception Southwest is at least $100 per trip higher than Delta or AA.
My guess: The other guys are banking on a significant fraction of these customers to change their tickets and incur a $150 fee. Those high change fees go hand in hand with lower prices far in advance of the travel date.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by nsx
My guess: The other guys are banking on a significant fraction of these customers to change their tickets and incur a $150 fee. Those high change fees go hand in hand with lower prices far in advance of the travel date.
That's certainly part of it. Another part is that the legacies often have significantly more capacity on a given route and need to fill more seats. One of my frequent routes ATL-MSY only 2 carriers fly that non-stop. Southwest has 4 non-stops and Delta has 10 (with no regional jets).

Based on my travel habits, I rarely change a flight and the few times I do the cheaper fares would more than offset the fees. However since most changes likely occur close to the travel date Southwest is in effect charging a fee.
Old May 27, 2014, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
My family flies WN for two reasons:

1. Companion Pass
2. No charge to cancel/change/rebook/refare

They could be on every OTA in the world and we would still fly them.

Has nothing to do with being brainwashed, and I bet there are a lot of people like me. Not everyone in the world has identical needs, something a lot of FTers don't understand.
But if WN's fares were nearly 3 times the other airlines' fares, you might reconsider...as the OP was forced to do.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
But if WN's fares were nearly 3 times the other airlines' fares, you might reconsider...as the OP was forced to do.
Would not pay 3x. Maybe 1.2x. Also would never buy BS or AT, but I don't travel short-notice much.

Avios have been quite useful ex-Chicago.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I fly WN so I know this person won't be my FA:
Old May 27, 2014, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Would not pay 3x. Maybe 1.2x. Also would never buy BS or AT, but I don't travel short-notice much.

Avios have been quite useful ex-Chicago.
I'm looking at holiday travel 7 months out. Should Southwest not be pacing their fares with teh other carriers?
Old May 27, 2014, 9:12 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I'm looking at holiday travel 7 months out. Should Southwest not be pacing their fares with teh other carriers?
They never have before. Why start now?
Old May 27, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
They never have before. Why start now?
Thats not been my experiance.

In past years their fares were competative, even cheap. This year it seems they are increaseing fares massively over previosu years.

Fuel costs cannot account for the difference.
Labor costs are frozen to the consternation of their employees.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:34 am

Thats not been my experiance.

In past years their fares were competative, even cheap. This year it seems they are increaseing fares massively over previosu years.

Fuel costs cannot account for the difference.
Labor costs are frozen to the consternation of their employees.
I don't know about NSX's use of 'never,' but the last several years have been as he's described. Fares for summer and holiday travel have often been quite high, usually higher than the competition, when booked months in advance. It's not until the flights get closer that fares come down. Of course, for this summer, nothing has come down...

Last edited by texashoser; May 28, 2014 at 8:51 am
Old May 28, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

In past years their fares were competitive, even cheap. This year it seems they are increasing fares massively over previous years.
+1 - agreed. A year ago I could book WN, even a couple of weeks out, and the fare would fit in with most project budgets. Yesterday was the first time that a manager at my company ordered me to use a different airline. Going forward, I'll probably have to compare AA/US with WN before making a booking decision with the company travel agent. WN appears to be gradually pricing themselves out of the market - at least for business travel.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by flyerfmaz
+1 - agreed. A year ago I could book WN, even a couple of weeks out, and the fare would fit in with most project budgets. Yesterday was the first time that a manager at my company ordered me to use a different airline. Going forward, I'll probably have to compare AA/US with WN before making a booking decision with the company travel agent. WN appears to be gradually pricing themselves out of the market - at least for business travel.
Do you mind sharing some examples? Ie, fares for some routes you flew last year compared to right now?
Old May 28, 2014, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by texashoser
Do you mind sharing some examples? Ie, fares for some routes you flew last year compared to right now?
When I find time I'll try to go back through some expense reports and produce numbers. Generally speaking, however, the higher costs are due to increased inavailability of WGA fares. Considering WN's open seating and the fact that I'm A-list, there's virtually no value (other than more points) to the higher fare categories above WGA. I travel so often that a non-refundable WGA fare isn't a huge problem because should something change (which rarely happens) those funds can be used against the next reservation.

Honestly, I don't think that WN cares one red rip about doing anything substantial to keep frequent business travelers loyal. One thing they could do, which would help to solve this dilemma, is to extend WGA fares a little longer to A-listers so they won't be forced to find another airline. My company and their clients aren't cheap by any means, but when the fares start nearing or exceeding $1000 round trip the project managers start losing their heads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.