Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Stunningly positive web site change re: Award seat searches

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stunningly positive web site change re: Award seat searches

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
Wow! Fabulous!

Thanks ftnoob!

And, thanks, Southwest!
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by ftnoob
The Advanced Search page allows you to specify the number of Adult pax.
I was referring to the search using awards.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
It's good that they did it, but it does point out the fact that the standard award availability is extremely limited. I checked a month in advance and some city pairs had zero, some a few, and some a lot. The dividing line? Distance. Cross country, zero. LAX to HOU, a few. BUR to OAK almost all were available.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by TSparky
It's good that they did it, but it does point out the fact that the standard award availability is extremely limited. I checked a month in advance and some city pairs had zero, some a few, and some a lot. The dividing line? Distance. Cross country, zero. LAX to HOU, a few. BUR to OAK almost all were available.
It is pretty limited, but if you are flexible, and plan far far in advance, there are options. I was able to get SEA-SJU and back in Jan and Feb.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
As part of being flexible, I can say that 10 days to a week before requested travel date, WN releases more standard seats, so availability greatly improves. I redeemed 5-6 awards on WN over a month and one of those I literally booked a week before travel date as there was no availability previously. As others have noted, the longer the flight, the less availability you'll find, except for maybe the first/last flight (pair) for the day (if you're lucky). Short haul flights (around an hour) are quite easy to find. 2 flights I had trouble booking were DAL-MDW and MDW-PHX, everything else I had no problem finding.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by TSparky
This isn't really any different than the pre-RR 2.0 days, especially from 2009 to early 2011.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:18 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
A nice feature to have if a friend is "gifting" you an award.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:22 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges
Original Poster

The Advanced Search page allows you to specify the number of Adult pax.
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I was referring to the search using awards.
As was I.

If you are logged in and use either the Advanced Search link from the overlay "window" or the link above (either from here or via a bookmark), you can perform a multi-pax Award seat search. As has been the case since the advent of RR 2.0, you cannot proceed to a multi-pax Award booking, but you can see availability. (Pre-RR 2.0 you could book multiple passengers in one transaction, and the system would automatically create multiple single-pax PNRs.)
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:35 am

Excellent!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:10 am

As was I.

If you are logged in and use either the Advanced Search link from the overlay "window" or the link above (either from here or via a bookmark), you can perform a multi-pax Award seat search. As has been the case since the advent of RR 2.0, you cannot proceed to a multi-pax Award booking, but you can see availability. (Pre-RR 2.0 you could book multiple passengers in one transaction, and the system would automatically create multiple single-pax PNRs.)
Clarification. If one clicks on that Advanced Search link without having first run an award flight search, it only allows for dollar or point results. The way to multi-pax search from the get go is to start from a fresh browser session, login, click the link in the first post, click "Standard Award Availability", click "Advanced Search", enter city pair, dates, and number of pax. After selecting the available flight dates and seeing the available times, if one clicks on "Additional Search Options", it will have "1 Adult ages 2+" greyed out, so it would seem that it is only searching for one pax, but in actuality it is searching for however many were specified on the previous screens, so it can be ignored.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
As was I.

Sorry, it does not seem to work for me. I logged into my account then clicked your link and I got a revenue/points search.

Do I have to have multiple awards available to do this search?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:28 am
Original Poster

You and qwertyasdfghzxcvbn caught me being a bit hasty (sorry; I'm on the road and nearly sleepless).

You don't have to have multiple Awards available, but the web server does need to be "switched" to Award search mode. If you want to skip the step of going to the certificates page to click the availability link, use this link, which will redirect to the advanced search link after switching the server to Award mode.

There's a bit more but my travel computing device is partially broken, making it so painstaking to use that it took ~45 minutes to work out and post this much; stay tuned for a later update.

Last edited by ftnoob; Jun 19, 2015 at 10:34 am Reason: Insert missing closing quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Exclamation

While working on the previous post I suddenly started getting some Oops General Error messages. After the errors stopped, the search results in an account with no Award coupons went back to the old customer-hostile hidden availability. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions just yet, but this is worrisome...

What are others seeing?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 3:26 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
While working on the previous post I suddenly started getting some Oops General Error messages. After the errors stopped, the search results in an account with no Award coupons went back to the old customer-hostile hidden availability. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions just yet, but this is worrisome...

What are others seeing?
It's working for me. You probably randomly drew a server that was running the old software.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
You probably randomly drew a server that was running the old software.
Or perhaps you did.

Keeping fingers crossed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.