FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Stunningly positive web site change re: Award seat searches (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1487373-stunningly-positive-web-site-change-re-award-seat-searches.html)

ftnoob Jul 23, 2013 12:21 am

Stunningly positive web site change re: Award seat searches

I was amazed this weekend to see an active "Award Availability" link on the certificates page of an account with no bookable Standard (or Transition) Awards.

I almost fainted when, after viewing the fully functional SeatFinder calendar in that account, on the next screen I was then able to see the holy grail:

Flight level Award seat availability in an account with no Awards!

Both Standard and Freedom Award availability were shown. I've just confirmed the same functionality still exists in a different account with no available Award. As far as I can tell at this point, these features have not been enabled for users who are not logged in to MySouthwest.

I now wonder whether the glitch observed by nsx:

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 21089771)
Too bad the Low Fare Finder is now broken, showing 100% availability of dates for Standard Awards even when the true availability is 0% of dates. :(

occurred while this change was being implemented.

As stated in the other thread:

Originally Posted by ftnoob (Post 21088618)
this sort of "detente" in business-customer relations is most welcome.

:-: ^

As a result of this happy development, I will now lock and un-sticky the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...st-thread.html.

tatterdema Jul 23, 2013 1:20 am

Holy crap! Thank you thank you thank you ftnoob! Now I will be up all night trying to cobble my way home from SJU before they "fix" it. ;)

Woo Hoo. And I was finally able to book it after about a month of beating my head against the wall. SJU-SEA thru ABQ. I wonder why it is not bookable on their website as a regular fare. Only 13 hrs, much better than the original 19 hour I had.

no2chem Jul 23, 2013 2:19 am

Originally Posted by ftnoob (Post 21142801)
I was amazed this weekend to see an active "Award Availability" link on the certificates page of an account with no bookable Standard (or Transition) Awards.

I almost fainted when, after viewing the fully functional SeatFinder calendar in that account, on the next screen I was then able to see the holy grail:

Flight level Award seat availability in an account with no Awards!

Both Standard and Freedom Award availability were shown. I've just confirmed the same functionality still exists in a different account with no available Award. As far as I can tell at this point, these features have not been enabled for users who are not logged in to MySouthwest.

I now wonder whether the glitch observed by nsx:

occurred while this change was being implemented.

As stated in the other thread:

:-: ^

As a result of this happy development, I will now lock and un-sticky the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...st-thread.html.

^^^ great find! ... i fear it may not last long though :(

Edit: ok never mind, after looking at it, seems intentional... :) Southwest... listens?? After RR1.0 is dead of course, but still :).

...although this might be a ploy to stop us from converting points into SAs! And then they'll cut it off when it's too late!

OzzyOzzie Jul 23, 2013 6:02 am

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I was hoping to change my August RR 1.0 from Air Tran to Southwest but alas the few available WN flight times are not to my liking. It appears just the WN flights are shown so if you wanted to see if you could use any RR 1.0 on FL you need to do it the 'old way'?

ObieGrad Jul 23, 2013 6:26 am

You have not needed a reward to check availability on AirTran. Just login to the site and then the "book a reward flight" link will appear.

millere2 Jul 23, 2013 6:33 am

Its about time! ^

qwertyasdfghzxcvbn Jul 23, 2013 7:37 am

Originally Posted by ftnoob (Post 21142801)

Could you please add a post in the thread directing here for closure purposes? Thanks.

nsx Jul 23, 2013 8:08 am

Originally Posted by qwertyasdfghzxcvbn (Post 21143989)
Could you please add a post in the thread directing here for closure purposes? Thanks.

Done.

Nick311 Jul 23, 2013 8:10 am

This is great news! ^

UA Fan Jul 23, 2013 8:13 am

What took them so long? 9W also has this restriction.

Looks like they are still limiting searches to one person per search. Is there a reason for this? Any workaround?

philemer Jul 23, 2013 10:57 am

Good news and thanks mods & WN.

UA Fan Jul 23, 2013 12:34 pm

I noticed that they also put a column for Freedom Awards. I need to book a flight for next and while fares are high I am not seeing any Standard awards, so can book it. I had forgotten about this till I saw it today.

ftnoob Jul 23, 2013 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 21144157)
Looks like they are still limiting searches to one person per search. Is there a reason for this? Any workaround?

The Advanced Search page allows you to specify the number of Adult pax.

ftnoob Jul 23, 2013 1:15 pm

The lastExpirationDate=undefined part of the advanced search URL suggested to me that an ancillary change may have been made: when you have do have an (expiring) Award, can you now see availability beyond the Award's expiry date without resorting to any shenanigans? A test found the answer is "No" (it only works as far as the Award calendar; flight-level availability is not shown). That is a quirk we can hope will soon be rectified. In the interim, the workaround is to log out and repeat the search in an account with no available active Award.

(As to why I have an Award expiring before the end of the booking window: it's a single coupon, so I haven't yet refreshed it.)

ricohitman Jul 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Amazing!!!