Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Entered my GOES number at least a year ago ... My GOES number [is] now [also] listed in the "Redress Number" field (as that's what the form [was called] back then) [and in my TT box] ... it wouldn't let me remove the number from the "Redress" box, so it's in both places now.
Originally Posted by CDKing
It might hurt I'd say give WN a call and see if they can remove redress. It might cause mismatches with the TSA database.
Well, tomorrow's my first WN flight since early August and I got the "TSA Pre" on my BP (but I backed out my GOES number from the "Redress" box on the "Contact Me" page when buying the tickets). I'll need to eventually call WN CS, but I'll see what happens at SNA in the morning, esp. since:

Originally Posted by CDKing
Right after the government restarted TSA started its managed inclusion program and turned it into a cluster in most airports making it a lot quicker to not have precheck.
I'd gotten PC on AA ex-SNA in August, and we were the only people in it (Terminal A). SNA Terminal C is always pretty busy, so I wonder exactly how much time I'll really save if this is so
Old Dec 15, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I'd gotten PC on AA ex-SNA in August, and we were the only people in it (Terminal A). SNA Terminal C is always pretty busy, so I wonder exactly how much time I'll really save if this is so
The A checkpoint is probably your best bet anyway. It's usually deserted. If you're there early enough the B checkpoint has a PreCheck lane open from 5a-8a (IIRC). I don't think I've ever used the C checkpoint at SNA.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
SNA Term C was a breeze! Literally my fastest counter-to-gate experience since 9/11.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: WN A&cp, SPGplat
>>>TSA Website Updated Today

I finally read the new stuff on the updated TSA site and it explained why getting Pre-Check without opt-in or KTN has been so erratic -- the TSA Risk Assessments "feature" is designed to allow pre-chek "on a random basis."

What I wonder is if other FTers have been experiencing the same thing as me: it seems that lately when we fly together EITHER I (Alist) or my wife (companion) get PRE all the time (except on FL); but both of us, not so much. (Which, of course, kills the value. My wife, who had pre last night at CLT, finished her Starbucks sitting and waiting for me to work through the serpentine line there.)

I know truly random processes often look far from random in the short term. That makes me curious if others are experiencing this. Anyway, we're probably going to do NEXUS applications.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:57 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ray1111
What I wonder is if other FTers have been experiencing the same thing as me: it seems that lately when we fly together EITHER I (Alist) or my wife (companion) get PRE all the time (except on FL); but both of us, not so much.
As A-list Preferred I am 4 for 4 with Companion Precheck flights. I have gotten PreCheck for myself every time since it started. No TTN, just the Southwest nomination.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by nsx
As A-list Preferred I am 4 for 4 with Companion Precheck flights. I have gotten PreCheck for myself every time since it started. No TTN, just the Southwest nomination.
For clarification.... "with Companion Precheck flights" - your companion traveling with you also received Pre 4 for 4 on these flights?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:42 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by steved5480
For clarification.... "with Companion Precheck flights" - your companion traveling with you also received Pre 4 for 4 on these flights?
Yes.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by nsx
Yes.
Interesting.... thank you.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:57 am

Pre-Check Mix-up???

For the first time since opting in I did not get TSA PRE on my boarding pass. The flight was booked with points and also included a CP itinerary. Interestingly, on the return flight my wife (CP) had TSA PRE on her boarding pass although she (as far as I know) did not receive a Pre Check invitation and is not opted in. I did not pay much attention to her boarding pass for the first flight and therefore do not know if she had it on that flight.

At first I figured that this was my random non TSA PRE experience - no big deal. When it happened on the return I began to wonder if it had something to do with a points booking (unlikely) or the fact that I also had a CP res (also unlikely). When I discovered that she had the TSA PRE that I was missing then I was really confused. The TSA agent joked that they prefer blondes anyway and if it were determined by looks then I would absolutely agree that she would beat me out hands down!

Has anyone else had this experience? I am a bit reluctant to pursue it as I suspect a good probability of it getting even more screwed up and not working for me the 95% of the time when I am flying without the CP Blonde.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: WN A-List
I finally read the new stuff on the updated TSA site and it explained why getting Pre-Check without opt-in or KTN has been so erratic -- the TSA Risk Assessments "feature" is designed to allow pre-chek "on a random basis."
Perhaps this is an indication that we are (slowly) returning to a more sensible approach to airport security? Unless you are a fan of the current system I can't see how this would be seen as a bad thing.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
>>>TSA Website Updated Today
Although my reply probably belongs in Travel Safety and security, The TSA website is full of inaccurate info. Especially the following which has been far from the truth since October:

TSA Pre✓™ Experience:

Quicker transit through airport lanes
Shorter lines
Shorter wait times
Improved customer experience*
(*somewhat accurate fact)
Although I do agree with TT/KTN members being "more likely" on the Probability chart
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Dunbar
Perhaps this is an indication that we are (slowly) returning to a more sensible approach to airport security? Unless you are a fan of the current system I can't see how this would be seen as a bad thing.
Try using Pre at OAK. You'll see how it would be seen as a bad thing.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dunbar
Pre at MDW is a disaster. The regular lines are usually much shorter, and the Fly By lane is now the same as the Pre lane, so that benefit is gone now.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
As best I can tell, MDW keeps changing the system. About a week ago, I went through without Pre. The 'left/right' machine sent me to the non-pre side where there was another checker. Since I was A-list, that person let me into an almost empty lane. I went through security much faster than anyone in the pre line.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99
As best I can tell, MDW keeps changing the system. About a week ago, I went through without Pre. The 'left/right' machine sent me to the non-pre side where there was another checker. Since I was A-list, that person let me into an almost empty lane. I went through security much faster than anyone in the pre line.
I was debating sharing this story online as to blow my PreC status but what the heck they know everything about us anyway…

I'm flying 3 day trips this week SJC<->BUR. So far BUR has their act together of the 4 or so other times I've used PreC with them.

Monday SJC- PreC feeder line open at the top of the escalator and the experience is as expected. TSA checker says leave your shoes on blah blah. don't take your liquids out etc. Through the detector and all is reasonable.

Tuesday SJC- PreC feeder line roped closed at the top so I use the A-list/1st line like normal. TSA roper at the main feeder is directing people to 4 TSA agents doing checking- including the PreC check station. I discreetly hold up my BP to the TSA roper and say "Pre?" He shakes his head and says "We're not running Pre Check at the moment". I shrug and stay #2 in the first TSA checker line. I get to the TSA checker, he beeps my BP and after that points down the line to the PreC short line to the metal detector and says "Go down that way to Pre Check and the TSA Agent will let you enter that line."

So I walk down to the TSA "#4" and he waves me by and says "go ahead and use the Pre Check line". I get in the line and throw my laptop bag (containing 2 laptops) on the conveyer and line up to the metal detector. No shoes off, no pulling the laptops similar to a couple others. TSA walk though detector agent calls out- "If you are Pre Check hold up your boarding pass for me to see before you enter the detector." I walk through the detector (Shoes on) and I thought that was that.

Well it turns out they really wanted to get a look at my bag and call out "BAG CHECK" They don't say why, but started to rummage around in it and then change their minds and take it up to the front of the conveyer line. I don't know what they're doing so I walk up next to the detector (apparently a mistake) and peek over the clear plexi barrier to see what he's doing now that he's opened it. He proceeds to pull both laptops and send them through again separately. They do a mini freak out that I was standing next to the walk through and the Xray and call out something to each other then half bark at me what am I doing? I told them politely I didn't know what the issue was as I was Pre Check and wanted to know what the agent was doing opening up my bag at the front of the conveyer. He says " You put your laptops in your bag and if you don't step back (I'm still on the "safe side" of the scanners) we will have to hand search you". I quickly backed away from that space and walked back to the end of the conveyer line to await my laptops and bag. Then the TSA agent who was befuddled about what initially do for my "BAG CHECK" chastised me for leaving my laptops in my bag.

I really didn't intend for this post to go long but I wanted to detail how broken/conflicting PreC can be @ SJC when they claim it's not "running" at a certain time. I was tempted to fill out one of those TSA complaint cards as this kinda frustrated me. I wasn't late so I can't put my frustration on anything else but this experience. I didn't follow through on the fear that a complaint may "flag" me and I lose PreC. I fly Thursday morning as the last of my 3 flights this week and I wonder how it will go.

Funny how one places a value on something we had as common place pre 9/11.

Last edited by Wingrider; Dec 18, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.