Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New boarding policy: A-listers with B's or C's can board after A60

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New boarding policy: A-listers with B's or C's can board after A60

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I utilized the any A-listers not in A group this morning after missing my original flight because of the severe weather in STL. It was announced two or three times.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:16 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
It's really odd that Southwest has yet to communicate this valuable enhancement to its A-list members.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
What about A listers on a Business Select fare. I made a change about 90 minutes before, I couldn't check in on the App, when I got to the airport I got a C boarding Pass. A Lister on a business Select fare. Boarding pass said Business Select.
Gate Agent advised to board after A-15, only 3 passengers in the A1-15 group. I tried to board and the person at the boarding area denied me and told me to board in C. I showed him my Business Select Boarding card and he still told me too bad.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
There are a few bad Ops agents everywhere.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:01 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Gate Agent advised to board after A-15, only 3 passengers in the A1-15 group.
Ideally the GA would have taken a Sharpie and written A4 on the boarding pass, so at least you would have received 'C-Lister with $40' privileges.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
What about A listers on a Business Select fare. I made a change about 90 minutes before, I couldn't check in on the App, when I got to the airport I got a C boarding Pass. A Lister on a business Select fare. Boarding pass said Business Select.
Gate Agent advised to board after A-15, only 3 passengers in the A1-15 group. I tried to board and the person at the boarding area denied me and told me to board in C. I showed him my Business Select Boarding card and he still told me too bad.
Wow. Gate Agent must have been having a bad day, it makes no sense.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Amicus
Wow. Gate Agent must have been having a bad day, it makes no sense.
What made it worse, after I got on and walking thru past the jetway, he basically harrassed me all the way down, letting me know that he was right and I was wrong. I didn't even look his way or speak to him as I knew if I did, my chances of baording that flight would've been slim. I have sent a nice email to Southwest about the situation.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Don't you love when you you know more about the rules and operations of the airline than the employee? I once had a light discussion with 3 FA's once about Business Select / A List perks & differences and they were pretty clueless about the details...
Old Apr 14, 2013, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Don't you love when you you know more about the rules and operations of the airline than the employee? I once had a light discussion with 3 FA's once about Business Select / A List perks & differences and they were pretty clueless about the details...
I can forgive FA's in that example... By he time we board, there's little for them to manage if anything regarding FF perks.

However, standing at the gate desk, last week a CSR told a passenger they could buy EBCI for $10... Went up to $12.50 a couple months ago!!! When I corrected her, it was clearly first she had heard of it. I know there's a lot to know, but a CSR should know!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:06 pm

Southwest did me good and I'm happy for how they handled it. I just booked 3 more tickets in Select.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
It's really odd that Southwest has yet to communicate this valuable enhancement to its A-list members.
Maybe because it publicizes the fact A list doesn't necessarily mean get on the A list.

Just like COdbaUA calls everything Premier this and that signifying nothing, WN made a mistake calling its elite status levels A list, confusing it with the boarding process scheme
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, Hyatt Explorist, JetBlue Mosaic, Wyndham Diamond, National Executive Elite
First of all this policy has been a lifesaver for me as I often change flights within the 36 hour window.

This week I have have experienced two strange deviations from the process and I'd like to know if this has happened to anyone else. Wednesday I switched to an earlier flight from DAL to HOU. When the GA handed me my C2 pass she said, "You can go ahead and board with business." I thought she was crazy because there was no indication on the pass that this would be OK. I figured it was worth the try since worst case I'd board A61. No questions asked when I boarded around A5.

The second experience just happened DEN to LAX. I had C26 and right about the time the GA was going to call A31-60 he looked over at me and said, "A-List?" I nodded and he waved me through.

Have anyone else experienced anything like this?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Only happened to me once but I just hopped in after A60 but before all the families and such made their way to the gate. No problems at all.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
This weekend my morning flight was cancelled. I was given B-60 on the later flight. Before I could say anything, the agent circled the A List on my BP and told me to board before the B-group.

She told me that if you change a flight prior to 36 hours you don't always get the A Boarding pass. Since all my flights lately have been totally full, and with all the ways to get an A boarding pass I think this situation is going to continue. I just hope they don't start having the A boarding group to be A1-A90, which will pretty much end the belief that an A group number guarantees you won't get a center seat.

Both flights I was on they made the announcement about any A-Listers can board prior to the B group. Needless to say flight was totally full and I was very happy they honored the A-List promise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.